Dear Mr Zachary Vex

• Members

I bought a Vexter BoR, and it was more than I would normally spend on a pedal, but hell, it's 2 pedals in 1 really. An awesome 'Distortron' pedal and the best boost I've ever had. I won't part with this one...
:thu:

That's a good point! When you look at it as a twin pedal, it does make it seem much more reasonable... :idea:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=150904&songID=4495884

interesting clip here, see if you can tell which is the BoR, OCD and Jackhammer...

those all sound very similar.

strange too, because i own a BOR and an OCD and they dont sound alike to me. but i always run them with the gain wide open. i guess they set the gain to match the others?

:)

• Members

I'm at work, so can't listen to clips right now, but I'll check them out when I get home. It wouldn't surprise me if they did sound similar. What I do know is that this certainly sounds better to my ear while playing than anything I've owned before. It reacts more like an amp than a pedal and keeps the nuances of my playing better than the pedals I've played before. Robopimp is right in saying that Marshall amps sound brighter than people tend to think they do. But there's no way the BOR sounds anywhere near overly bright or fender bright to me. Of course, it probably depends what guitar and amp you are using and what tone setting you have on the pedal. It can get very bright if you max the tone control out, but I wouldn't want to play it like that. I found the best place for the tone control was between 12 and 1 o'clock...

• Members

Zvex only claims this is a "plexi in a box" when used with a real plexi... which is silly because any pedal sounds like a plexi when played through a plexi...

I've never claimed that it sounds like a plexi. I have stated that it was developed to sound like my JTM45 amps. I have three of them. It sounds, to many users, like a JTM45 through a multitude of larger, warm tube amps.

I believe it's a cascaded fet design much like many other "amp in a box" pedals, nothing magical really.

It contains no FETs.

Also, from what I have heard it sounds very similar to the marshall jackhammer which is probably about 1/3 the price.

Musictoyz:

Marshall Jackhammer $84.95, Made in China (No warranty information available, no warranty card or mention in instruction manual)

Box of Rock $199.95, Made in Taiwan (Fully tested and inspected in the US by Erik Sexe) 2-year warranty with registration.

If you don't know the difference between China and Taiwan, you might want to watch the news once in a while.

Once again, 'pimp demonstrates himself to be the outspoken "bastion of truth" with regard to my products.

• Members

I've never claimed that it sounds like a plexi.

Marshall Jackhammer $84.95, Made in China (No warranty information available, no warranty card or mention in instruction manual)

Box of Rock $199.95, Made in Taiwan (Fully tested and inspected in the US by Erik Sexe) 2-year warranty with registration.

I thought the Marshall effects are made in India? At least that's where my Marshall Guv'nor II is made.

• Members

I thought the Marshall effects are made in India? At least that's where my Marshall Guv'nor II is made.

The earlier ones were. At Twin Town the new Marshall pedals are all labeled "Made in China." The used one says "Made in India under license."

• Members

you probably read that when you were opening up the marshall pedal to "inspect" it... wink wink nudge nudge say no more :thu:

The earlier ones were. At Twin Town the new Marshall pedals are all labeled "Made in China." The used one says "Made in India under license."

• Members

the vexters are, paint'd are usa

all of my zvexs are US but if the vexters being made in taiwan makes them more likely to be in at least one shop in any large city on any given day i say more power to zach for doing so.i know personally when it comes to touring i only like to plan a board that i know i can start and finish a tour with no matter what....even if that means having to buy the same pedal in three different cities throughout the tour due to anything that can happen ie theft,everything getting fried,surprise buttsecks etc.vexters are a touring security blanket i can easily see myself getting into,being a clean combo guy who will more than likley always use pedals for dirt.

• Members

all of my zvexs are US but if the vexters being made in taiwan makes them more likely to be in at least one shop in any large city on any given day i say more power to zach for doing so.i know personally when it comes to touring i only like to plan a board that i know i can start and finish a tour with no matter what....even if that means having to buy the same pedal in three different cities throughout the tour due to anything that can happen ie theft,everything getting fried,surprise buttsecks etc.vexters are a touring security blanket i can easily see myself getting into,being a clean combo guy who will more than likley always use pedals for dirt.

trut - so many things can go wrong out on the road, trying to hunt down "the" pedal that makes your sound is never a good situation to be in.

• Members

I think what he means by this is that yes, it's never gonna sound EXACTLY like a plexi unless you are indeed using it to drive a plexi, but it's still gonna sound pretty marshally through most other stuff.

I've played a jackhammer and own a Marshall Guvnor II and while both are okay pedals, they are a bit 'meh' and don't really live with the Box Of Rock IMO...

I had a Guvnor Mk1 and a Jackhammer which i always ran in od mode years ago...and loved it.

Is this a more refined, touch sensitive sound similar to this? I'm on the edge of ordering one tonight?! Ta

• Members

you probably read that when you were opening up the marshall pedal to "inspect" it... wink wink nudge nudge say no more
:thu:

You can ask Davin about that. He "inspected" it for me over the phone... nudge nudge wink wink.

Honestly, pimp, you've lost your edge. Where's the degrading, insulting pimp I once knew?

Archived