my bloody valentine

angus_old

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Medicine are great!
:thu:
I have their first two albums. They conjure up some wicked guitar tones.

hells yeah, if mbv were delicate layers of beauty and grace in music, then those first medicine albums were like a drunk uncle trying to use a chainsaw on steel, but in a good way :D

• Members

does Kevin Sheilds
Actually
use a shredmaster? guitar geek says yes, wiki says no, ahh!

Man i love MBV!

This is what his roadie had to say:

Kevin never used a Shreadmaster pedal (he did, however, use 2 Marshall Guv'nor pedals during the Isn't Anyting live shows). (guitargeek.com falsely credits the use of a Shredmaster during the Loveless tours.)

For Loveless live shows he used - Digitec Whammy, Boss EH-2, Boss PQ-4, 2 x Boss GE-7, Boss T-Wah, Pro-Co Turbo Rat, Roger Mayer Axis & Mongoose, Marshall Guv'nor, Jim Dunlop Roto-Vibe, Boss Tremolo/Pan (Boss PN-2 to be specific), Digitec PDS-8000, ADA Pre-amp, MidiVerb2 (made by Alesis for those who don't know), SPX90 x 2 and 3 x JCM800's (only 2 amps were actually running) JCM's valved with EL34's and ECC83's (including phase split). - I may have missed out one or two pedals there....it has been a few years..!!!

The clever part is what he adds to the internal wiring to the guitars and the reasoning behind using certain guitars for certain songs. (This is the only time I have ever heard this mentioned, and unfortunately he never elaborated on it.)

and here's a quote from kevin:

"As for effects, says Kevin, "There's no chorusing or anything like that. But there's one very definite effect that I do use, and that's reverse reverb, mostly on a Yamaha SPX90. It inverts a normal reverb envelope without making the notes backwards. There are certain settings I use that, along with the way I have the tone of the guitar set up, create a totally melted sort of liquid sound. I don't use any of the original, dry guitar signal; it's purely the reverb. When I use that sort of effect on guitar, that means there's one guitar on the track. A song like 'Soon' has got three guitars. But the bulk of the sound is just from one guitar."

now, what im wondering is, will someone get the {censored} on working out that deepass bass sound?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived