my bloody valentine

angus_old

• Members

Kevin Shields only used a tremolo pedal and distortion. He just stood between the amps and played reallll {censored}in' louddddd...

I saw them several times, his and Belinda's pedal boards grew quite a bit between the release of isn't anything and loveless.

Pre-Isn't Anything they had a couple of Boss ODs and maybe a delay or two. By the time of the rollercoaster tour he had a rack (probably a SPX90 and a Quadraverb like everyone esle) and a good collection of pedals including one of those blue digitech loopers. They did play really loud at all times though...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

they were contemporaries of mbv. they might have shared some early members but i doubt it

anyhone know what song ride got their name from? it's like a gong song or something

Definitely not, MBV were older than most any else on the scene, they'd tried their hand at being a jangely C86 band first. Ride were ex-public school boys from Reading just out of university

• Members

Definitely not, MBV were older than most any else on the scene, they'd tried their hand at being a jangely C86 band first. Ride were ex-public school boys from Reading just out of university

I thought ride were from Oxford? not that it matters or anything:lol:

has anyone seen kevin, playing with Primal Scream these days? he's still cooler than cool:thu:

• Members

BTW, how is this thread any less backward looking than threads on Trower and SRV. This stuff happened nearly 20 years ago.

Don't get me wrong I love Television and MBV (the only shoegaze band that mattered) but its just as nostalgic in its own way.

• Members
Trower? Not familiar with his stuff, but I know he pioneered the use of the Electric Mistress, so he has to be pretty cool.

SRV? One of Fender's greatest sonicsmiths
:cool:

I was riffing on the on OP's comment:

"youd never know this was hcfx between the eric johnson srv and robin trower threads, so heres a mbv thread"

Pointing out that a MBV thread is just as regressive in its way. Nobody talks about the Big Sleep, Double, Battles, Black Dice, etc , etc, all people doing cool new stuff with volume and effects. Its th same nostalgia as ever.

By the way, when you hear the Trower stuff see if you can spot one single lick that hasn't been plundered directly from Hendrix's LPs and live shows. I never heard one. I prefer Pete Cosey and Eddie Hazel if we're talking post-Hendrix players that actually picked up the ball and ran with it.

• Members
Trower? Not familiar with his stuff, but I know he pioneered the use of the Electric Mistress, so he has to be pretty cool.

SRV? One of Fender's greatest sonicsmiths
:cool:

I was riffing on the on OP's comment:

"youd never know this was hcfx between the eric johnson srv and robin trower threads, so heres a mbv thread"

Pointing out that a MBV thread is just as regressive in its way. Nobody talks about the Big Sleep, Double, Battles, Black Dice, etc , etc, all people doing cool new stuff with volume and effects. Its th same nostalgia as ever.

By the way, when you hear the Trower stuff see if you can spot one single lick that hasn't been plundered directly from Hendrix's LPs and live shows. I never heard one. I prefer Pete Cosey and Eddie Hazel if we're talking post-Hendrix players that actually picked up the ball and ran with it.

• Members
History is important to the future, History isn't a negative.

Sure, it isn't even really history to me since I was there, playing in bands and what have you.

Unfortunately you get a largely skewed view of the times, 15 years on. Many of these bands were boring live. MBV and the Pale Saints were great. Ride and Swervedriver were acceptable, kinda boring to me but I didn't like their songs so much. The rest have benefited from only having a recorded output as their legacy. We will be serious and look at our shoes for 45 mins and not think about things like tempo or dynamics because its dreampop and it doesn't need to change to be good. :D

Or people don't remember the good bands like the Telescopes anyway.

It was a blesssed relief when bands like the Jesus Lizard blazed through town and you remembered how exciting this stuff could be.

Just saying.

• Members

Ooooh, Pale Saints. I never got to see them live :cry: Half Life was a great E.P., and In Ribbons was a way-overlooked album.

I agree, elctmist, that talking about '91 is nostalgia. We're f*ckin' geezers, oh well. And Verlaine is almost as old as Trower, isn't he? I'm not sure that onbongos was dissing Trower or SRV for being old. Maybe. They just represent a different, um, end of the Rock spectrum perhaps. It's like the difference between The Allman Brothers and Brian Eno. Both are great, but they don't exactly draw from the same audiences, unless you're a :cool::freak:

• Members

yeah, at the time I was never really into 'shoegaze' anyway, but I never really saw swervedriver as one of those bands, i was into stuff like Sugar, Lemonheads, Dinosaur Jr, Screaming Trees, Teenage Fanclub, and for me Swervies fitted into all that no problem. I loved Doughboys too, that canadian band.

But, looking back now I kinda like MBV, ride, loop, curve and all that. it wasn't rockin' enough for me at the time, but I like it now and regret not seeing them when I had the chance.

jesus lizard are great, only got to see them once, but.....wow!:thu:

• Members

you don't know curve?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_%28band%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN5E-FYzm8c
A fine display of Jag's and Jazzmasters!

I saw them open for Spiritualized in Cincinatti in '92. I think they used the fog machine a lot :lol: Seriously, they were a bit boring live, but Doppelganger was a decent album. Again, Alan Moulder behind the mixing console, and married to the singer.

• Members
curve?!?

Better do some lines :lol:

I promise to pay attention to people's sigs
:freak:

• Members
here's one for another great dublin band
rollerskate skinny!

get their album
horse drawn wishes
,it's worth it to hear the mind melting majesty of
speed to my side
alone
:thu:

LOL, I haven't heard that name mentioned for a number of years.:lol:

we'll be talking about the frank and walters next!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived