Slagging the Jupiter 8 - most overrated synth ever?

grumphh

• Members

Golly grmphh, is that a
?

Apart from the fact that it is a fjord, not a river, you are absolutely correct.

We don't have rivers in Denmark...

Danes like tunnels. That is why we, when we built the bridge from "Fyn" to Sealand added a tunnel too... Fortunately it was the taxpayers money that went into that project.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Apart from the fact that it is a fjord, not a river, you are absolutely correct.

We don't have rivers in Denmark...

Ah, that's why it can open out into the sea at both ends? It's all salt water? We don't have fjords in my part of Canada.

• Members

Ah, that's why it can open out into the sea at both ends? It's all salt water? We don't have fjords in my part of Canada.

Yes, all salt water - and although we call it a fjord, it is nothing like a norwegian fjord, which probably is what springs into most peoples mind when you mention a fjord.

Just a narrow strait, neatly cutting off the flat north of Jutland without any exciting cliffs or other attractions.

But we have a tunnel...

• Members

I'm in sort of dilema these days. I know someone selling for 2000$ mint condition. I had someone a year ago who talked about 1000$ but wasn't serioud about selling it. I guess hw would for 1200$-1500$. Should I do it ?... what flatearth posted is crazy... 2750 pounds ??? I seriously think that 2000$ for a JP8 is a lot, and rather wait till I come across a non-functioning one and restore/recover it.... ;) Same way I did with my Trident MKII and OBXa. Both I had for 300$ each.

What dayya think ?

• Members

uh huh, Grumphh, youre shooting yourself in the foot here - if all u could get out of this beast is XMod and "80s sounds".. it speaks more about your abilities than about the board itself. no offence, but there are tons of users or artists who squezzed a lot more out of it than you did. bottom line, that board most definetely isn't for you.

there's more releases involving jup8 today than it was in the 80s, given the expansion of electronic music in last decade and a half.. goa, psy, minimal, twisted, ambient, soundtracks etc.. its most definetely staying arround (and so is jup4/6 and sh2 and..). yes it's how its programmed, but even moreso how one uses it in the arrangement, what music is composed etc.. unless ones imagination is limited from the get go, the world didn't stop with bloody howard jones, or duran..

but i feel confident that what you have played/posted here could be replicated with much cheaper gear such as @Juno for the punch and JX-10 for pads.

well, you are gonna get the sound of those purry, organic VCOs and silky 12dB JP8's filter, on a JUNO or JX board, .. in your dreams. grinning-smiley-044.gif

jx8/10/mks70 can do many things, some that jp8 cannot, and vice versa, and their character is great but so different, from DCOs, to new filter design etc. Juno60 indeed has similar filter to JP8@24dB, and punch too, however, with no 12dB mode, and with just one single, dead duck DCO, it's really pointless talking bout replicating the jup's dual discrete-based VCOs. so sure, you can aproximate that demo w boards u listed, but it ll sound quite different.

overpriced?

at eBay's "going" $3k+, looking at how many lil different boards u can get instead.. probably. esp if u r starting out w analogs. none will replace it, but u might get a more vesatile system, and more music and ideas done. or not. its too individual.

but you know how it goes; if you gotta have it .. ..you gotta have it.:D

• Members

I have a JP6 and always wanted a JP8, but everyone tells me the JP6 is a better board overall. :confused: The JP8 is overpriced on ebay and so I'll probably never get one. There are probably some newer synths that probably do the same kind of sounds and many more for less money, so that is probably the direction I will go. :love:

• Members

I've never played a Jupiter 8, but I had a dream it was awesome.

P.S. Have to say, I love the thread topic. It's nice and pretty to hear a different perspective. I once had an OBX-A, and thought it was to tough to be taken seriously, so I shattered it with my mind. Good riddance to bad garbage.

• Members

I owned a Jupiter 8 for about 1.5 years and I still am totally kicking myself for selling it. STUPID ME! Here's the story. I snatched one off of eBay in 2001 for $1,200. Mint newer DCB version in an Anvil flight case for $1,200. Yuppers, it was a good deal.

I used it for every gig for about 1.5 years and then I succumbed to gear lust as I started gigging a lot with Leslie speakers. I ended up selling that lovely JP8 for a $1k profit to help finance some vintage Leslies (one of which I still have) and other Hammond-related gear. At the time, I was starting to not use the JP8 as much during gigs and really needed the cash. I don't think I'll ever find one quite so nice as this :(

I am sure I have some photos around here, but this is the only one I could find tonight. See the pretty JP8 in my rig?

pa16.jpg

• Members

I made my mistakes with cheaper gear so all-in-all case is not that worse... A mint, clear sounding JX8P which I regret selling, and a mint P6 with a MIDI retrofit I built for it. I also sold a Hammond 144K home organ which never really made it through mixes and so far I don't regret about doing it that much. Same for the SH-101 I had 15 years ago (guess I'm not that much of a CEM fan after all). But I do regret returning the Yamaha CS40M I bought a couple of years ago. Problem was that as soon as I brought it home and powered it up, it didn't play ! found a few broken traces/parts inside and returned it to the seller. Probably has got broken during delivery somehow... but that was THE mini CS80, and I still regret for not having it !

• Members

Don's demo is very good indeed. It is very hard to deny JP8's sonic beauty. But for those who don't have access to a JP8, like me, there is the Alesis A6 Andromeda truth. It is not quite the same but capable of doing similar sounds with all the other bonuses. If I hadn't the A6 already, I would try my best to get one JP8 based on the opinions on this forum. But, I am not that insistent on a JP8 due to the pleasure of having an A6. This doesn't mean it is not a monster of a synth.

• Members

I agree on the A6. Some people don't like it, but it works great for me. Almost makes me forget that I sold that pristine OB-Xa... :) I gigged 1 1/2 years in an 80's cover band with an Andromeda as my main axe, and it does a great job at mimicking 80's synths like the Jupe as well as having a sound all of its own.

Archived