Slagging the Jupiter 8 - most overrated synth ever?

grumphh

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, i see people lusting for these, and i see them praised a lot as being the be-all, end-all of analogue synths - but after all, what i personally found when i owned one for a brief time (5 months) was that it basically does your standard poly synth duties.

Sure! Now why don't we test this "theory". Find me a 1500$ synth that sound like this:

Jupiter 8 Demo

Then, give me your bank account number i will transfer 1000$ on it (seriously!), because you saved me twice than that.

• Members

the JP-8 is the only vintage analogue polysynth i have any interest in owning.

well ... that i have any interest in paying market value to own.

i'm assuming that as muvh fun as i have with my Juno 6, if the Jupiter 8 is a contemporary superset of the JU-6 then ... {censored} yeah i'm going to own one. sometime.

• Members

Quote:

Duran Duran

Howard Jones

Eurythmics

Nik Kershaw

Talk Talk

Thomas Dolby

Micheal Jackson

Simple Minds

Go West

for all (I think), the Jupiter 8 was a main part of their sound.

don't forget:

Journey

Tears For Fears

Huey Lewis & the News

Robert Palmer (maybe?)

Just returned from iTunes. Got it. Some pretty great sounds in that box. :thu:

• Members

Regardless of the ongoing which-is-better wars, thanks for the music link! Brings back memories of some early '90's Amiga Psygnosis games I used to play, Barbarian, Shadow of the Beast, Leander, Nitro, and my all-time favorite: Amnios! Garvan Corbett was my hero back then (no he didn't do music ).

• Members

Like all Arturia virtuals it always sounds good, but as a digital synth and never really similar to the real thing...
:rolleyes:

When the real thing isn't feasible to own, go virtual. Arturia is the only game in town for a VA Jupiter.

• Members

Offer stays.

:D

Unfortunately i only have a pair of shoddy PC speakers to listen to this to, so there might be details i can't hear - but i really don't hear much out of the ordinary. Sorry.

As i already stated yes, the quality of the JP 8 sounds is very high, but i feel confident that what you have played/posted here could be replicated with much cheaper gear such as @Juno for the punch and JX-10 for pads.

There were no complex crossmod waves here or anything, just some nice Rolandish sounds.

IBAN: DABADK4567381158-563

Now send me my money :D

(Fake account number ;) )

• Members

Gil, i see in your gear list you got a Polysix again. When did you get that?

Got it a year ago or so, as parts.... still needs to get its computer board repaired (when I have some time....) It also needs new side panels ;)

I still regret selling the mint condition P6 I built midi retrofit for ! :rolleyes:

(sold it as I got the Trident)

• Members

I still regret selling the mint condition P6 I built midi retrofit for !
:rolleyes:
(sold it as I got the Trident)

gilwe you gave me a link to that slovenian guy who made MIDI for polysix using PIC. However his description isn't 100% clear to me (regarding some contacts and connectors). Since i will soon be building one, is it ok i PM you later with 2-3 questions?

• Members

Jup 8? Sounds good looks cool, but not enough to make me want to change my shorts and pony up the 8k for one.

:eek: Not sure where you've been checking prices on JP8's, but they don't go for 8k.

Their prices on the used market aren't too out of line when you consider what they went for new.

Archived