What was your first synth?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Worked extra a whole summer (1986 I think) and bought a Korg Poly-800. I was in heaven. Saved up for a brand new TR-505 soon thereafter and I suddenly had "professional" sounding drums. Worked another summer and traded it all for a spanking new Roland D-50 etc ad nauseum....

• Members

Korg Poly 800.

Used to sit and press those two sets of parameter and value buttons for hours, making patches. The poly 800 would have been a classic if they had put knobs on it. Nice filters.

• Members

ARP Odyssey MkII purchased 1975. I couldn't decide between the Minimoog or the Ody, and couldn't play with either very much because keyboards were shown by appt. in the music store's mgr. office! Finally decided on the ARP due to the S&H, and it could 2 notes at the same time! Spent hours & hours with it, thru the night w/headphones and reel to reel , etc. exploring the sounds it could make. Those were the days!

I've kept almost every piece of equipment I've had over the years but don't know if all of it works. Roughly, starting with RMI piano, then ARP, Leslie 16, Poly800, DX100, CZ101, FB-01, Korg SQ1, QS6, X5, Kurz SP76, and so on. First keyboard I had was a bright orange Farfisa Fast2 combo organ and a Vox T60 bass amp - what a cool gig rig! I was in heaven for being 12-13 yrs. old. :D

• Members
But just this week I bought a 700s on eBay, although it hasn't arrived yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVOX-MINI-KORG-K-2-700s-analog-synth-k2_W0QQitemZ260118280830QQihZ016QQcategoryZ64385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't wait to get it!

Looking forward to the onslaught of amazing demos :D

My 1st Synth was the Korg Poly 800. Spent alot of time programming that little board. (probably more than any other synth ive owned)

Actually, i have fond memorys of painstakingly trying to program Bronski Beat sequences into its little step sequencer. :) Pure magic but highly frustrating, with such limited editing options.

It was closely followed by an MS10.

:cool:

• Members

Korg MS-20--1982-- $150 and proceeded to blow every speaker in the house!

Of course knew nothing about it or how it worked, the patchbay was a total mystery

Found the 2 filters and speaker killing rez easily:-0

• Members

Yamaha GX-1 ;)

Actually my first synth was a PAiA modular I built. A friend in high school had a 4700 modular, when I finished HS I used the scholarship $$ I won in a piano competition to order a bunch of 4700 modules, a 61 note pratt read keyboard, and I built my own case for it. Forgot all about it when I discovered my first moog. I butchered the case long ago, and I lost the modules to last years' flood.

With the PAiA I could brag that I was using a modular on stage :cool:

Archived