What was your first synth?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don Solaris...

I miss my ESQ, but was wondering if the SQ-80 actually sounds the same? I know it has more waves, but was wondering if the filters, and basic architecture were the same. I downloaded a soft-synth of the SQ-80 recently but haven't given it a spin yet. I loved the immediacy of the sequencer with the simple display/navigation - very well done (timing pretty coarse of course!). And it worked well when I added the other midi gear too so it was beneficial for many years for me.

• Members
Don Solaris...

I miss my ESQ, but was wondering if the SQ-80 actually sounds the same? I know it has more waves, but was wondering if the filters, and basic architecture were the same.

Architecture is exactly the same. It is the output section that is different, so there is subtle 1% sound difference. Of course, you can always mod SQ-80 to sound like ESQ-1.

Damn, how much i love that synth. :love:

• Members

My first real synth was a Yamaha CS-10. I did buy a Yamaha PSR for my kids before that - one of the 2 op FM ones with tiny keys. I also bought a Gulbransen spinet piano around '93 (which I still have.)

• Members

A used Roland Jupiter-4...I used to put on the white noise generator and sweep the glowing red lfo and it would sing me to sleep. That synth was great but man it went of of tune if it got hot...

Archived