What pedal to achieve EVH Brown Plexi Tone?

agradywills

• Members

Okay, I tried to search this but couldn't find much.

What pedal will give me approximately this tone:

My rig: Epi Elitist LP (stock pups) > Line 6 FX > Twin Reverb Reissue (or) PV Windsor Head.

Now, I know that the amp has a lot to do with it but I just want to know what pedal/effect gets closest to early EVH.

Thanks

• Members

You really can't with a pedal, the brown sound is from the power tubes. It is a marshall super lead with a variac running at 90 volts, the lower voltage let's you open the head all the way up, then it is run into a load box, and then into a power amp.

The 5150 can do it because it is designed to imitate that.

You might try the OLC thunderchief.

• Members

I agree 100% you'd need a tube amp/variac etc. There is a pedal however from a very respectable effect company known as Toadworks that offers their "Mr. Ed" box which they claim will get the brown sound even with a solid state amp. Personally I wouldn't expect miracles. If you want the real thing get a Blankenship 100 head with factory attached variac into a Southbay Ampworks, Scumback H55 loaded 4x12.

• Members

I agree 100% you'd need a tube amp/variac etc. There is a pedal however from a very respectable effect company known as Toadworks that offers their "Mr. Ed" box which they claim will get the brown sound even with a solid state amp.

I've heard the Mr. Ed pedal, and it sounds remarkably like a horse's ass.

• Members

You really can't with a pedal, the brown sound is from the power tubes. It is a marshall super lead with a variac running at 90 volts, the lower voltage let's you open the head all the way up, then it is run into a load box, and then into a power amp.

The 5150 can do it because it is designed to imitate that.

You might try the OLC thunderchief.

yeah, I agree. I just wanted to know if there is a pedal that can approximate that sound. I don't expect miracles of course, but am curious.

• Members

I've heard the Mr. Ed pedal, and it sounds remarkably like a horse's ass.

Yeah, I went to the Toadworks website and listened to clips of the Mr. Ed pedal. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Flabby and nasty. Not at all what I want.

I use an MI Audio Crunchbox which I'm very fond of but I'm looking for a distortion with a little less saturation and more the Early Van Halen-esque sound. I've heard some good things about the Brown Creeper. Anyone have any opinions on:

Radial PlexiTone

Carl Martin Plexidrive (I think that's right)

Archived