Muff Dilemma

Fine_Young_Fool

• Members

So I got a Big Muff Pi NYC Reissue for christmas yesterday (weird divorced parents thing). Anyway, I was have a really hard time dialing a good tone in with it, but I finally did. I could do the White Stripes/Black Keys thing easily. However, I tried palm muting, and it sounds like total crap. This is quite a problem, because I want to do a Sleep/Kyuss thing, and can't ge the tone I want for those. But for the others it great. Also, I can only play on the bridge pup, cause the neck sound so bassy and muffled, it makes it seem like my amps is going to self destruct.

Help!

• Members

My first Muff I had sitting in the box for over a year becuase I had the same complaints as you. You seriously have to play the muff, You must alter your style a bit, as with a lot of dirt pedals, differant ones make you play in a differant way. And you can palm mute with a muff and it sounds great, just not in the "traditional metal chug" way.

BTW... Sleep used cranked Oranges on Holy Mountain then cranked Green Matamps on Jerusalem/Dopesmoker. No Muff there.

• Members

So I got a Big Muff Pi NYC Reissue for christmas yesterday (weird divorced parents thing). Anyway, I was have a really hard time dialing a good tone in with it, but I finally did. I could do the White Stripes/Black Keys thing easily. However, I tried palm muting, and it sounds like total crap. This is quite a problem, because I want to do a Sleep/Kyuss thing, and can't ge the tone I want for those. But for the others it great. Also, I can only play on the bridge pup, cause the neck sound so bassy and muffled, it makes it seem like my amps is going to self destruct.

Help!

you just describes exactly how muffs work man!

i wish they muted as well but they dont or wont.

metal muffs chuga mute but they sound more like a distortion than a muff. ya cant win man!

• Members

It's a sustainer. It doesn't cut off the signal well for muting. That's what you do when you mute - you try to cut off the signal quickly for a chugging sound. This isn't what the pedal is designed for. I use mine with the tone control no higher than 1 o clock and when I lay it back to lower than 11 o clock with the sustain past 1 o clock, I get some nice sustained lead tones with my bridge humbucker - David Gilmour style. You'll grow to like it - I promise! :thu:

• Members

My favorite setting on the NYC is volume to taste and both Tone & Sustain at 1 o'clock. Ironically, those are the same as Jack White's. Its very clear and ringing without all the mud Fuzz which Muffs are known for.

Oh, and if you really want to nail a palm mute on a Muff and/or kill the sustain when you stop playing a note just add an EQ (with slightly boosted Mids) and viola!

• Members

Tone at 1 and Sustain at 4 equals fun for me! Really nice and heavy especially played on a neck pickup. My neck pickup is a little 59er with the pins screwed all the way down so it is very muffled but begins to sound like a synth/bass.

Awesome.

Palm muting can be done with my setup but I prefer the wall of sound anyways.

Archived