Vox tube pedal doesn't make sense!

fly135

• Members

Cooltron pedal uses a 12AU7 tube. But get this.... The specs for this pedal claim "Current Consumption: 95 mA" on 4 AA batteries. Near bottom of page.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/pedals/cooltron.asp

However the spec for the tube says 300mA just to light the heater...

http://www.nj7p.org/Tube4.php?tube=12AU7

WTF??

OK, that's why they call it cooltron. But how can the tube work if the heater isn't up to temp?

• Members
Google "starved plate".
:wave:

I understand what you're saying, but even a "starved plate" design requires the heaters to be functioning at full voltage and requires a lot more current than 95mA. The "plates" and the heater are two separate things and work off of two separate supplies.

The heater requires a constant 12.6v @ 150mA or 6.3v @ 300mA (depending on how you wire it [series/parallel]. The heater creates the "glow" you see. The 12.6v or 6.3v tap on amplifier power transformers is the power is the power supply for these.

The plates are run at full voltage (often between 200v-250v) or "starved" (12v+). The rectifier in an amp serves the power for the plates.

I've always assumed that the voltage is being stepped up in those pedals, but that was before seeing the part about running it on 4 AA batteries.

I'd like to see how Vox is doing this. Perhaps the four AA batteries are powering an opamp and an LED to simulate tube glow... see: Behringer.

I understand the two separate supply voltages Mark, and I am also perplexed by how Vox is doing things. I too, would imagine they using a step up for the heater voltage, but again, with four AA's, the current just isn't there. Heck, before reading this thread, I didn't even know that battery power was an option on those pedals - I thought they were AC only.

Does Vox include a schematic with the manuals?

• Members

they dont even provide a schematic with their amps. i had to do some serious sluething jut to get the schematic for my ac30cc2.

i'll look around. im guessing the tubes in these pedals are for show. the current is just not there.

• Members

I understand the two separate supply voltages Mark, and I am also perplexed by how Vox is doing things. I too, would imagine they using a step up for the heater voltage, but again, with four AA's, the current just isn't there. Heck, before reading this thread, I didn't even know that battery power was an option on those pedals - I thought they were AC only.

Phil

The designer of these pedals is rather famous in audio electronics design.

He's been doing it since the 60's and has created a lot of classic pedals.

The tube is definitely not there just for show.

If you're really interested, PM me and I can direct you a bit.

Phil

The designer of these pedals is rather famous in audio electronics design.

He's been doing it since the 60's and has created a lot of classic pedals.

The tube is
definitely not
there just for show.

If you're really interested, PM me and I can direct you a bit.

PM sent. :wave:

PS As I said in the PM, please note that I didn't say the tube was "just for show" - that was someone else. I don't know enough about the circuit to say HOW it is used; that's why I was curious about the schematic. :)

Gee - maybe the Vox website? D'oh!

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/pedals/cooltron.asp

Scroll down . . .

From the Vox website:

"Want to know how it all works?

Normally, tubes are used at high voltages and this restricts their use in battery-powered devices such as guitar effects pedals. Historically, attempts have been made to use tubes at low voltages in what has been dubbed

• Members

Now, if there weren't all these considerations about pirates, stealing, theft and lawsuits, loss of profit etc etc because a few motivated DIY-ers set up a forum starting with free, continued with stompboxes and being a .org domain...

.......Everyone here could have looked for themselves how the tube is incorporated in that circuit.

Which is indeed alternative. Cold-kathode circuit, but not in a configuration where the tube is used as 2 antiparallel diodes. This could not be the case since that trick is patented by Fender.

• Members

I took one of those apart once, but didn't look at how the tube operates... :D Vox advertises them as true bypass, but they (at least the Bulldog Overdrive I peeked into) are actually regular output switching only ("hardwire bypass", if Dunlop would have named it).

/Andreas

• Members
Yep, its the old "glow for show" trick.

I know some pedals do that, but I doubt that was in mind for my Bulldog....they use a blue LED. "Man thats a cool running tube, it even glows blue!" :lol:

I don't know any of the technical side, so sorry there, but I do know the pedal sounds organic, very dynamic, compared to other dirt pedals ,like I've only heard in the Damage Control offerings (I haven't tried any other tube pedals). Even if it's all in my head, sound good to me. :)

• Members

Now, if there weren't all these considerations about pirates, stealing, theft and lawsuits, loss of profit etc etc because a few motivated DIY-ers set up a forum starting with free, continued with stompboxes and being a .org domain...

.......Everyone here could have looked for themselves how the tube is incorporated in that circuit.

Which is indeed alternative. Cold-kathode circuit, but not in a configuration where the tube is used as 2 antiparallel diodes. This could not be the case since that trick is patented by Fender.

I doubt Vox has even heard of Freestompboxes.org.

Archived