Vox tube pedal doesn't make sense!

fly135

• Members

How is the Cooltron Compressor? i'm curious bout them, gotta Duel Overdrive which i like.

well i'm no expert on compressors, but I prefer it to the Boss CS-3 and Nobels ones I had before, it's very quiet even with the compression and volume dimed, it's big shiny and it looks cool!!

the only thing I don't like is all the knobs and switches, it gets a bit confusing when you aren't sure what they are doing, it's like the flanger hoax of the comprssion world!! But i'm gonna keep it, I'm sure it's excellent when you are familiar with it, or if you are used to adjusting compressors already.

• Members

I have a cooltron compressor. I presumed the tube worked the same way it does in the tonelab? To be honest I don't care if it is there for show.

Yeah, I have an AD120VTH. I'm assuming the same thing because I also have a Zoom G7 and I am NOT impressed by the tube in it but my Vox amp head is killer. Vox seemed to have gotten it right.

• Members
well i'm no expert on compressors, but I prefer it to the Boss CS-3 and Nobels ones I had before, it's very quiet even with the compression and volume dimed, it's big shiny and it looks cool!!

the only thing I don't like is all the knobs and switches, it gets a bit confusing when you aren't sure what they are doing, it's like the flanger hoax of the comprssion world!! But i'm gonna keep it, I'm sure it's excellent when you are familiar with it, or if you are used to adjusting compressors already.

Ok. thanks :thu:

• Members

Yeah, I have an AD120VTH. I'm assuming the same thing because I also have a Zoom G7 and I am NOT impressed by the tube in it but my Vox amp head is killer. Vox seemed to have gotten it right.

The G9.2tt's implementation of its two tubes is much better than the G7's use of its one tube. However, neither of them are nearly as complicated as Vox's "Valve-Reactor" circuit, which creates a small low-wattage power section with its 12AX7 whose structure changes depending on which amp model is in use. It's a much more advanced usage.

• Members

From the Vox website:

"Want to know how it all works?

Normally, tubes are used at high voltages and this restricts their use in battery-powered devices such as guitar effects pedals. Historically, attempts have been made to use tubes at low voltages in what has been dubbed

• Members

That patent is not incorporated in the cooltrons.

I doubt Vox has even heard of Freestompboxes.org.

Sigh....

Ever considered putting it the other way around? The way the tube is used in the Cooltrons has been discussed, schematics and all, at freestompboxes, leaving the guesswork out that can be seen in this thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Today a swapped out the 12au7 for a 12ax7 on my Duel Overdrive, just for the grin, and....More gain :eek: so that valve's doin sumptin! also noticed a little trim pot on the board next to the valve, anyone know what this would be for? :idk:

• Members

noticed a little trim pot on the board next to the valve, anyone know what this would be for?
:idk:

There's only one way to find out!

Mark where it is with white-out or a sharpie (depends on the color of the trim pot), and crank that! :thu:

• Members
Today a swapped out the 12au7 for a 12ax7 on my Duel Overdrive, just for the grin, and....More gain
:eek:
so that valve's doin sumptin! also noticed a little trim pot on the board next to the valve, anyone know what this would be for?
:idk:

some sort of valve bias adjustment, I'd guess :idk:

Archived