which OD/Dist for a cranked AC30 type sound?

arcadesonfire

• Members

I'm wondering what you'd all recommend to get a high quality, British, rough EL-84 sound out of a fender, 6L6 type amp.

I've got a modded TS-9 and a Keeley Rat, but the TS-9 is too smooth and the rat has too much fuzz/gain to get the in-between sound i'm looking for.

I was looking/listening to the Fulltone OCD, but that sounds too smooth for what i need. Any thoughts on that?

Here's the music i'll be using this for: www.myspace.com/morejessenewkirk. Those are rough drafts, so all those tones were done using Guitar Rig, but when it comes to really playing out and really recording, I'm very serious about using real equipment; plus at the moment, i've got a little bit of a tax return. "Tearing Our Hair Out" is the most important example on that page of what i need a new pedal for. The Rat changes the amp tone too much and the Tube Screamer makes things too smooth. I kinda feel like Goldilocks, hmm...

I'd like something that gives a good crunchy rhythm sound but which can do so without blurring notes together, so, who's got any ideas for where i might look?

Archived