Do any of you still use the Bad Monkey?

• Members

I use mine as a boost now, and love it that way. The separate bass and treble controls do a lot to help contour your sound. I keep the gain off, the volume at noon, and it makes every pedal sound better.

• Members

I just happened by one of the local GC's last night and picked one up...GC price was $39.99...I used my 10% coupon and walked out paying $38.

Anyway I now understand why this pedal received and is still receiving so much praise...as a boost it's very nice, as an overdrive it's very clear and cleans up very good.

I just tried it out with the Blackheart combo and Tele at 5W bedroom levels...I can see spending $40.

I'm going to try it out on the big guns this weekend.

• Members

I traded mine with my buddy for some NOS tubes. Its a nice overdrive overall, a better boost than an overdrive into a clean amp, IMO. I did find the bypass to suck some tone. Overall I just liked my other overdrives better (Maxon OD-808, OD-9, MI audio Blues Boy Pro)

• Members

I picked one up for $20 used and i really dig it. I found i can run the Mixer out straight to a 2x12 WGS V30 clone cab with NO AMP and have a low volume practice rig! With that bass control, it thumps.
With my amp it does a great job of pushing my amp into territories it wouldnt get to by itself...like someone else said...and i really dig the tone controls.
My preference is running the mixer out instead of the amp out, brighter, more natural sounding to me. The Amp out seems darker than norm.
Overall awesome, especially for $20!
...and i usually hate pedals.

• Members
I've done the Monkey 3 times and there won't be a 4th. I think the fact that it's so cheap fools your ears into thinking it's incredible.

That's what I thought when I first got it--that I liked it more because of the cheapness, and that I somehow felt inclined to get overly defensive to boutique pedal guys about how good it is. :) It could be the mods that I did to it, but it's the best overall overdrive that I have.

Archived