The Official "Zachman on Racks" Lounge

The description of the HC Effects Forums is "Stomp boxes, multi-effects, and towering racks." We have a lot of discussion about pedals, and a fairly decent showing for multi-effects pedals, but racks have been less well represented, and somewhat controversial.

Fortunately we do have a forumite who is very knowledgeable about rack gear, and is always willing to try to help and to answer legitimate questions, so here it is - The Official Zachman On Racks Lounge.

Let me be clear about this from the start: This is a thread for Zachman to share his considerable knowledge about rack rigs, and for people to seek out and give help to others on rack related issues. It is not a thread for "rack vs. pedal arguments", although I will allow reasonable and civil discussions about the merits and benefits of each... but if I even think I sense trolling or arguments, heads will roll and temp bans will flow - fair notice. :evil::cop:

So without further ado, here's Zachman...

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I only have one of these right now, but I feel I'm well on the way. I'm actually very happy with it. Do the MB-1s have a decent reputation?

mb1.jpg

Those were very popular in the 80's- early 90's and I liked the tones that bands like Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme, and Queensryche got from them. I remember hearing of some tech issues that they had, but mods/fixes are available for them. Perhaps someone more familiar with this stuff will chime in.

• Members

They had a pretty decent rep (at the time they ame out I was wrenchin at a place that carried a lot of Rocktron, so that one was kind of the competition to the ProGAP)

The EQ section adjustment resolution was low (IIRC 5 levels for each band)

The membrane switches can get touchy as membrane switches do

I believe there's a hop up out there to add an extra tube gain stage

The MB-1 (the bass ver) was pretty nice at least for the time

• Members

Can you tell me how to get an Eclipse without shelling out $2000.

I wants it but can not has right now
:(

My friend John (Zepman) got his for $1300 if I'm not mistaken, around 2 1/2 years ago. We installed it into a rig that I designed and built for him:

tone.jpg.w300h400.jpg

Ebay definitely doesn't have any right now that are "deals". I am sure I could get you a discount, but work miracles-- I can not. They are a premium item and it is a pay to play realm that those who tend to use Eventide gear know this going in. :thu:

• Members

Phil, you are as wise as you are handsome. I believe this thread was a good idea. It's kinda sad the way every rack thread has gone to crap, maybe this one will stay clear of that. :phil:

• Members

This video interview with Bob Bradshaw

is a very valuable bit of info

kinda pisses on the "i designed it" argument tho doesn't it?

unless by designed it you mean stood there and said "awesome" a lot...

• Members

good thread idea :)

i started my venture into rack stuff a few days ago.. of course i've heard plenty (i tend to listen for effects when i go to concerts, which i'm sure most of you do) and i've watched plenty of youtube videos!

i thought i would start out with some behringer stuff, cause it's cheap. i got a used v-amp pro and a virtualizer.

the virtualizer can make some crazy noises (which is what i look for in effects), and i really just started getting into it. it need to be in a loop though.. there is a delay between switching effects and the bypass doesn't sound very good

i got the v-amp pro to replace the fact that i don't have an amp. but i played through a vox pathfinder and decided i should just get a tiny amp for my apartment and i'm selling this piece so i can afford the amp. i have to admit that the v-amp pro sounds BETTER than my pod live xt that i used to own. it's a great piece of equipment for 80 bucks but... sadly i don't have any money and i want this amp

i'm REALLY excited about getting my behringer reverb (brand new, 80 bucks at mf) i have a feeling this is what is going to get me into rack gear. it should be arriving tomorrow

and of course i won't base my opinions of rack stuff off of behringer equipment. it's just a start, just like with the pedals. my first goal is to get some good effects for vocals for the "studio" (my room). and of course reverb is an important one.

it would be cool if i could get some info that could simplify midi programming. i think a lot of pedal dudes here would like a good rack if they knew how to program a floor controller

• Members

am i wrong? dude doesn't understand half that {censored} in the video to my reckoning...

that's not to piss on mr bradshaw, who is clearly a pro in his field, and i would have thought pretty much the guy to go to if that's what you want....

• Members

Those were very popular in the 80's- early 90's and I liked the tones that bands like Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme, and Queensryche got from them. I remember hearing of some tech issues that they had, but mods/fixes are available for them. Perhaps someone more familiar with this stuff will chime in.

When I see an MP-1, I only think of one thing:

[YOUTUBE]993r5pgGVAg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

am i wrong? dude doesn't understand half that {censored} in the video to my reckoning...

that's not to piss on mr bradshaw, who is clearly a pro in his field, and i would have thought pretty much the guy to go to if that's what you want....

dunno about that. but i'd like to mention that i wasn't that impressed with this video because it seriously lacks SOUNDS. i'd like to hear that rack in action. a good v0 encoded mp3 demo please!

i vote for less pictures of racks and more sounds of racks!

• Members

i didn't get the part about the hot plate

to get rid of the dry and just run stereo W/W

why can't you just switch off the dry from the board?

why do you need a hot plate running on load?

what am i missing?

• Members

i'm sure the rack is amazing, in fact i'm pretty much certain of it...

the only thing i doubt is zachman's "design input".... i don't go to a restaurant and tell the chef how to cook my food, same applies...

i'm sure the rack is amazing, in fact i'm pretty much certain of it...

the only thing i doubt is zachman's "design input".... i don't go to a restaurant and tell the chef how to cook my food, same applies...

Semantics - you can specify the rig, and the gear you want it to include and the details about what you want it to be able to do and the routing configuration etc. - that could be considered as "designing" the rig, even though someone else, someone famous for designing rigs, actually did the assembly, and possibly even had input into the actual implementation or whatever.

But that's beside the point. The point is, you're looking for a reason to come in here and bash / criticize Zach. This thread was created in an attempt to stop that, so the next such OT post I see, and the poster get s a temp ban.

It's simple folks - If you don't like Zach, and / or are not interested in the subject of rack gear, stay out of this thread. If you don't, you'll have no one to blame but yourself when the ban hammer drops... :cop:

Archived