The Official "Zachman on Racks" Lounge

• Members

if you look through my previous posts i'm pretty neutral on the zachman thing, i've even come down on his side a couple of times...

if i come to your studio and say i like my kick drum to sound punchy and i like my vocals with compression does that mean i've produced the cd? i think not...

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the info, guys! A great friend of mine gave it to me about 5 years ago. It sat around on a shelf for a few years until I got serious about trying to get some decent bass guitar tones. I took the time to punch in a custom patch, and discovered that I really loved the sound of it. I'm using it on these 2 songs:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5906738

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6353161

When I see an MP-1, I only think of one thing:

What was that?

• Members

as far as i'm aware billy corgan used an mp-1 pretty extensively, it certainly has potential for pretty diverse sounds i believe, i was considering buying a voodoo modded one for a while, eventually stuck to heads + cabs...

• Members

as far as i'm aware billy corgan used an mp-1 pretty extensively, it certainly has potential for pretty diverse sounds i believe, i was considering buying a voodoo modded one for a while, eventually stuck to heads + cabs...

I'm pretty sure Kevin Shields used one as well. Are there a lot of difference between the MP-1 and the MB-1 other than the presets and the EQ emphasis?

• Members

Good stuff. Their first three albums (adrenaline, around the fur, white pony) were all incredible stuff. Big soundscapey epic songs, soft stuff here and there, and some really thrashy metal sounding riffs thrown in just about everywhere.

• Members

i'm REALLY excited about getting my behringer reverb (brand new, 80 bucks at mf) i have a feeling this is what is going to get me into rack gear. it should be arriving tomorrow

Did you get the REV2496?!

• Members

if you look through my previous posts i'm pretty neutral on the zachman thing, i've even come down on his side a couple of times...

if i come to your studio and say i like my kick drum to sound punchy and i like my vocals with compression does that mean i've produced the cd? i think not...

When I "designed" my setup, it was as such:

I wanted the signal flow from the Custom Switcher to run the analog pedals on the pedal tray to run in series in front of the selected amps via the 4 amplifier (Amp Switcher).

Direct Access control for amp channel select

Also I specified the parallel routing of the rack processors (the exception being the Eventide). Since the Eventide has 4 analog I/O's and anything to anything routing of the DSP's to any I/O's, I decided I wanted to run 2 I/O's in parallel, and 2 I/o's in Series.

I Specified the Pre-effects Volume pedal, Post-Effects Volume Pedal, CC Volume Pedal for The Eventide, The dual tap tempo control for the 2290 and the Eventide.

I specified the direct access switches accounting for the Virtual rack presets in the H8000FW, and Series/Parallel control of the Eventide, in addition to everything else that is there.

NAMMpics034.jpg

Bob, is AWESOME and WAY WAY more knowledgeable than me (Duh), and he came up with the layering of mix 1 and mix 2 idea, and putting the Dry Function switch on the RS10.

Hope that clears it up a bit

• Members

good thread idea
:)

i started my venture into rack stuff a few days ago.. of course i've heard plenty (i tend to listen for effects when i go to concerts, which i'm sure most of you do) and i've watched plenty of youtube videos!

i thought i would start out with some behringer stuff, cause it's cheap. i got a used v-amp pro and a virtualizer.

the virtualizer can make some crazy noises (which is what i look for in effects), and i really just started getting into it. it need to be in a loop though.. there is a delay between switching effects and the bypass doesn't sound very good

i got the v-amp pro to replace the fact that i don't have an amp. but i played through a vox pathfinder and decided i should just get a tiny amp for my apartment and i'm selling this piece so i can afford the amp. i have to admit that the v-amp pro sounds BETTER than my pod live xt that i used to own. it's a great piece of equipment for 80 bucks but... sadly i don't have any money and i want this amp

i'm REALLY excited about getting my behringer reverb (brand new, 80 bucks at mf) i have a feeling this is what is going to get me into rack gear. it should be arriving tomorrow

and of course i won't base my opinions of rack stuff off of behringer equipment. it's just a start, just like with the pedals. my first goal is to get some good effects for vocals for the "studio" (my room). and of course reverb is an important one.

it would be cool if i could get some info that could simplify midi programming. i think a lot of pedal dudes here would like a good rack if they knew how to program a floor controller

One facet of rack gear that I find so useful is the ability to automate preset selection and storage of several presets, and having MIDI control of stuff is so cool for live/real time applications

• Members

Very cool Zach, our own playground here!.... subscribed. Look forward to cool info.

I do have to admit... though.. .I DO love this pic:

Me too... :thu: I like how the genius' that post it, do so in spite of the fact that I am using a single rack processor, and that I know that the truth of that gig is it's more of an example of me using mainly pedals on the floor at that gig.

Here's a different view where you can see the pedals:

mypedalsletmeshowthemtoyou.jpg

• Members

Me too...
:thu:
I like how the genius' that post it, do so in spite of the fact that I am using a single rack processor, and that I know that the truth of that gig is it's more of an example of me using mainly pedals on the floor at that gig.

Here's a different view where you can see the pedals:

mypedalsletmeshowthemtoyou.jpg

OMG BRIAN PEPPERS IS THERE!

(look next to his lower back)

• Members

The description of the HC Effects Forums is "Stomp boxes, multi-effects, and towering racks." We have a lot of discussion about pedals, and a fairly decent showing for multi-effects pedals, but racks have been less well represented, and somewhat controversial.

Fortunately we do have a forumite who is very knowledgeable about rack gear, and is always willing to try to help and to answer legitimate questions, so here it is - The Official Zachman On Racks Lounge.

Let me be clear about this from the start: This is a thread for Zachman to share his considerable knowledge about rack rigs, and for people to seek out and give help to others on rack related issues. It is not a thread for "rack vs. pedal arguments", although I will allow reasonable and civil discussions about the merits and benefits of each... but if I even think I sense trolling or arguments, heads will roll and temp bans will flow - fair notice.
:evil::cop:

So without further ado, here's Zachman...

Very cool Phil & thanks for the happy B-day greeting!:wave::wave:

• Members

Anyone may like to address???

Ex. MIDI, Signal Routing, Amp switchers, Line Mixers, Loop based Switching systems???

My friend has a Lexicon Vortex an old one I am surprised at how good it sounds. Also wht does the Chandler digital delay rack unit sound so DAMN good? :mad::wave:

• Members

yes, i can't wait to get some sweet verbs that don't sound like they are meant for guitar

holy stain reverb is probably the worst reverb for vocals ever
:(

Top man! It's a great and much underrated processor - it's got as much to offer as any of the mid-range Lexicon or TC processors for me. I've got a TC M-One which is great, but for reverbs I'd use the REV2496 every time. Remember that you have two analog inputs and outputs which can be used totally independently, so you can use it for vocals and your guitar at the same time.

The modulation and delays are also very good. With the crossover delays you can set different delay times for different frequencies which is fun to play with to create ambience.

The only negative to me about it is the MIDI control which relies too much on non-registered parameters and so is less controllable with usual "guitarist type" MIDI controllers. Still you can change presets and that's the most important thing.

Archived