The Official "Zachman on Racks" Lounge

• Members

Oh, I see... would the Axess GRX4

My apologies, that last msg was in error (I accidently read your comment as part of the sub-thread of "how do MIDI switches for pedals work" -- I thought you were the the user who was just getting into switching nd asking how those switcher generally worked and misunderstood THAT)

sadly, your first interpretation was right

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My apologies, that last msg was in error (I accidently read your comment as part of the sub-thread of "how do MIDI switches for pedals work" -- I thought you were the the user who was just getting into switching nd asking how those switcher generally worked and misunderstood THAT)

sadly, your first interpretation was right

;)

The closest thing I can think of after re-reading the post is a MIDI data dump, to a data disk but that'll just save the MIDI data per device not on a system as a whole saving and reloading everything in one shot, isn't an option that I'm aware of using this method. Midi Mapping everything and using a midi data disk to save the individual presets from each of the devices is the only way that I know of to go about doing what you're describing.

Perhaps the keyboard forum guys might have a few cool ideas for doing this

• Members
The thing about using a Global Midi message is that it'd be sending/receiving on all channels all the time and you could, if you have everything on it's own midi channel, switch presets and still have delay spill over using pedals etc... Maybe my head is just stuck in a particular application zone. If so, I apologize.

no prob (well I guess it's a prob ;) ) - but yeah I think we are missing each other here [it didn't hellp that I misread your last comment as coming from someone else on another sub-topic]

What I'm looking at is a global SAVE, as opposed to program change message
(I suppose you could also do it channel-wise as opposed to global across channels)

or I think maybe you got that part, but are looking at a different app alogether - or maybe that crack I smoked is kicking in

like this???

546795.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Carl-Martin-Octaswitch-Guitar-Effects-Switching-System?sku=152013

I have to admit I've been considering one of those myself lately. Pretty darned cool IMO... I like how you can use the DIP switches to specify which loops will be active at each of the switches, and the LED's indicate which loops are active. The only downside I can see is for stereo rigs - getting something that can do that costs considerably more... but for mono rigs, or the front end of a mono -> stereo pedal setup (pre-modulation and delay stuff - filters, fuzz, compressors, OD's, wahs, etc.), I think these would be very handy and cool. :)

• Members

I've been considering getting some rack gear. I like the sound of rack modulation. I also assume rack mounted noise gates are far superior to a pedal. amps and pedals for distortion, rack gear for modulation and noise gates. What about compression? How do rack compressors compare to a pedal? Because I really like this Monte Allums modded CS-3.

• Members

I've been considering getting some rack gear. I like the sound of rack modulation. I also assume rack mounted noise gates are far superior to a pedal. amps and pedals for distortion, rack gear for modulation and noise gates. What about compression? How do rack compressors compare to a pedal? Because I really like this Monte Allums modded CS-3.

There is a different sound to rack compressors than pedal compressors, and this is due to a few reasons, but I think typically where they are used in the signal chain in a rack rig vs how a pedal compressor is used in the signal chain of a mono amp/guitar/pedal rig, has the compressor acting upon the signal in a different place in the signal chain. There are of course spec differences, and typically more control with rack compressors. Also- typically, though there are exceptions, pedals are instrument level devices, and rack units are designed to be operated at line level signals, providing much cleaner head room.

IMO, the best noise suppressor unit for guitar setups is the ISP Decimator Pro Rack G.

• Members
I have to admit I've been considering one of those myself lately. Pretty darned cool IMO... I like how you can use the DIP switches to specify which loops will be active at each of the switches, and the LED's indicate which loops are active. The only downside I can see is for stereo rigs - getting something that can do that costs considerably more... but for mono rigs, or the front end of a mono -> stereo pedal setup (pre-modulation and delay stuff - filters, fuzz, compressors, OD's, wahs, etc.), I think these would be very handy and cool.
:)

It's definitely a cost effective solution compared to other devices

• Members

2.) Are there any good cheap harmonizers i can get that do real good whammy type things? How would i hook these up, and would i need an exp pedal? Also are there rack equivalents of the digitech space station used mostly for atmospherics?

Have a look at the Digitech Quad 4. It has a really good intelligent harmonizer and can do the whammy effect very well, either by conventional expression pedal or MIDI expression

• Members

How do rack compressors compare to a pedal? Because I really like this Monte Allums modded CS-3.

I've never got on with rack compressors as much as pedal compressors before the amp. I like my amps distortion and so prefer to compress before the preamp, or else the compression takes away a lot of the dynamics and nuances of the amp.

• Members

I've never got on with rack compressors as much as pedal compressors before the amp. I like my amps distortion and so prefer to compress before the preamp, or else the compression takes away a lot of the dynamics and nuances of the amp.

I tend to agree with this for gain tones... but for that LA studio funk thing, rack compressors do some interesting things:

This video has an example starting at around the 4 minute mark

[YOUTUBE]cM9Vuuv_JRQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Any recommendations on good rack tuners?

I've been saying some pretty big price differences... is it worth it?

It's not like I'm a tune-addict. I just think it should sound tuned. :)

• Members

Any recommendations on good rack tuners?

I've been saying some pretty big price differences... is it worth it?

It's not like I'm a tune-addict. I just think it should sound tuned.

The Peterson Virtual strobe Rack tuner is nice

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PETVSR

p47067h-89ec373983451210732439e8e41f566b

The Korg DTR2000, DTR1000, DTR1

DTR2000-large.jpg

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTR2000/

DTR1000-large.jpg

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTR1000/

dtr1.jpg

http://www.tubefreak.com/tuner.htm

The price is usually reflective of the features ex sweet tuning modes, cable testers, etc...

• Members

Thanks, but that is a bit over my budget for a tuner.
I'm just looking for a rack tuner that makes me able to silently tune my guitar.

Wouldn't the fender be fine?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0239995000

Looks like it has some good visibility...

I have not used the Fenders so I can't speak as to their accuracy and their tracking... It's really annoying when the tracking of a tuner is sluggish.

BTW buy used on ebay or craigs list... Paying FULL pop Retail is LAME

• Members

And again, over the budget. :)

I know tuning is important, but it just doesn't feel right to pay for all those extras that I'm never going to use...

I'm considering the fender though...

• Members

I have not used the Fenders so I can't speak as to their accuracy and their tracking... It's really annoying when the tracking of a tuner is sluggish.

BTW buy used on ebay or craigs list... Retail is LAME

haha, I know the price differences between retail and used are huge. But when I'm considering buying some used stuff, I always end up buying it from a store... just to be sure :cry:

• Members
And again, over the budget.
I know tuning is important, but it just doesn't feel right to pay for all those extras that I'm never going to use...

I'm considering the fender though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-DTR-2-professional-rack-mount-tuner-xlnt-cond_W0QQitemZ120258419281QQihZ002QQcategoryZ23792QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/KORG-DT-1000-RACK-MOUNT-DIGITAL-TUNER_W0QQitemZ130219794280QQihZ003QQcategoryZ22672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Trust me here... ;)

Archived