OT: Amp poll - DRRI Vs. AC15

• Members

Ok, I need a sweet, small tube amp to compliment my new Carmen Ghia, so I can gets the stereoz. I was thinking a lot about the DRRI, but for much less I am suddenly intrigued by the Vox AC15. I don't need amp trem, and I never use reverb, which is some of what you are paying for with the Fender.

Owners please give me some pros and cons!:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members
Wait... shouldnt this be in the amp forum?
:confused:

Um, I put "OT", that means I can write whatever I want - :freak: It's the same as saying "no offense" or "pardon my manners" - it lets me say whatever I want.

Plus this is the only forum I post in, and these are amps for people who like effects. The amps forum is only for metal amps.

To answer other peoples; I am not sure if I want darker or brighter sound, the Ghia is pretty bright, so maybe something different would be nice?

I like cleans, I use pedals for dirt.

When you say it's heavy, do you mean it weighs a lot? As in pounds and kilos and what not? Or are you talking about the tone?

• Members
I'd recommend just going to a local GC or guitar shop for 5 days, and spending 30 min with each every day. I think the decision will come to you rather naturally.

Despite having 4 guitar centers within an hour drive of my house, I have never seen an AC 15 in one of them.:mad::eek::cry:

the Ghia is pretty bright, so maybe something different would be nice?

The DRRI might indeed the the better choice then. :)

I have a AC15cc that I dropped a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo into, and it's really a cool sounding amp - I use it a lot. It's articulate, bright, chimey, and growls and snarls when you hit it hard. I normally pair it with either a 71 Princeton that I "blackfaced", a 83 Princeton Reverb II, or a THD Univalve. If' I'm going for all out Brit flavor, I use the Univalve with a EL34 or a 6550 in it, paired with the Vox. Or I run the two Fenders together if I am trying to cop California tones. But my favorite pairing is one of the Fenders (or the Univalve with a 6V6 or 6L6GC in it) with the Vox. The two different flavors complement each other very well IMO, and having two different types of amp tones also gives me more sonic options in the studio, which may or may not be a concern to you.

I really do like the sound of the AC15, but since the Ghia is on the bright side, unless you want a lot of bright, I'd recommend the DRRI.

• Members

i've played both, and i much prefer the DR over the 15... in my opinions -
AC15 was a pretty harsh sounding amp, sounds best w/humbuckers...
DR is easier to dial in... nice round tone.

if you want some good reference recordings,
Bang Masters by Van Morrison = Definite tele bridge p/u + AC15
Aha Shake Heartbreak by Kings of Leon = Gibson ES + AC15 (rhythm guitar)

can give you an idea of how bright the AC15 is... Dlx Revs. are fatter.

the only Z i've played were Maz's - and they were both pretty Voxy sounding...

wow i feel like this post doesnt help at all, but i'll put it up anyway.

• Members

Stock? 22w DRRI, if you ask me. I honestly don't like the breakup on the ac15 that much when I try it. That being said, for 8 more watts (and a bajillion more dollars), the AC30 sounds great clean with slight grit and a RAT to add on to its breakup. Otherwise, I love the DRRI. The only downside to the DRRI is that token fender-y mid presence. With the right guitar, however, oh boy is it dreamy.

• Members

i heart fender so my vote goes to the DRRI.

ive had some pretty bad quality control issues with the ac15. in one of my old bands the guitar player went through two of them. they just stopped working for no apparent reason. no sound at all. he babied his equipment too. eventually he exchanged the second dead one for a hot rod deluxe.

• Members
Despite having 4 guitar centers within an hour drive of my house, I have never seen an AC 15 in one of them.
:mad::eek::cry:

I've never seen one either. They had plenty of AC30s though. Almost bought an AC30 until I was talked into going to try a Bad Cat. Glad I did it.

• Members

Plus this is the only forum I post in, and these are amps for people who like effects. The amps forum is only for metal amps.

No it is not.

The Amp forum is primarily for discussions about AMPLIFIERS.

Just because a lot of the discussion is devoted to amplifiers used to perform metal music, doesn't mean that the forum is ONLY meant for 'metal'.

And since when are there amps that are only for people who like effects? You can use any amp for whatever situation or application your imagination permits you to.

While there is an Amps forum here on HC, discussions about amps are not limited to ONLY the Amps forum, and such discussions are certainly ON topic in this forum as well. :)

Each forum here on HC has its own "flavor" and its own sense of community, and appeals to players in different genres, age groups, musical interests, etc. It just happens naturally that people of similar interests and preferences tend to congregate together. IOW, while there is a lot of interest in "heavier" musical styles on the Amps forum, you don't have to discuss only 5150's and Dual Rectifiers on the amp forum, or only Fenders and Vox amps over here... although if you do, you'll probably find more like minded people when you do. ;)

• Members

Ok, well I finally got to try the AC15, I thought it sounded really good, especially with humbuckers. That could make it an interesting change of pace, because I haven't played my Les Paul's in a loooong time.

As for the DRRI, they didn't have one on that day, but I have played them before and I know they are great. It's a bit of a tough choice still.

Additionally, my friend who builds amps, said he could do either a blackface deluxe reverb, or a tweed deluxe, for about the same price as a new fender reissue ($900 or so) - undoubtably with higher quality. The only hitch, it's a hobby for him, and he's slow as mollasses, so it could take till september or later.

I'm also interested in the tiny terror a little bit, but I would rather buy a combo than another head, just because I travel a decent amount, and a combo would be much easier for a stripped-down setup.

also, I saw in musiciansfriend (but not in a store) the blackheart 15 watt amps, including a 1x12 combo for $399. Anyone tried one of these yet?

As of right now, I think I am just going to save up to have my friend build an amp, but if I see an AC15 for a great price - $400 or less, I might pick it up.

Archived