Behind the Scenes at ProGuitarShop.com Videos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:poke:If only Andy had scratches from a rooftop cat rescue...:poke:

hahah I just watched that video the other day.

I love PGS's videos. Spent the entire of last night watching the OD/dist pedal ones and trying to make up my mind.

• Members

I love the way that the videos and demo's are set up. That they are all done with the same amp type, and Andy's playing is really good. The amp choice is what I would gripe about if anything. Yea '65 SoHo' amps are damned nice, but not everyone can afford them. For most players, (myself included) that kind of amp cost is unjustifiable. So we must make do with more mainstream brands.
In that light, I would suggest re-doing and adding a few demos using Fender/ Marshall/ Peavey/ Line6/ amps. Seems right IMHO considering that these are far more common than 65's. Definitely KEEP the current demos though, they are invaluable in their own right.

All that being said, my main amp is a Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20. Hardly a mainstream amp, but it's a damned tone monster. Thanks to the guys at PGS, I took a couple pedals they demo'd for a spin with my own amp at a local dealer. Some rocked, others didn't. I walked out of the store with a Fulltone '70 fuzz. Mmmmmmmm...... I am a very happy camper with this one. I think a Lovepedal 'Vibe' could be next on the list.

• Members
The amp choice is what I would gripe about if anything. Yea '65 SoHo' amps are damned nice, but not everyone can afford them. For most players, (myself included) that kind of amp cost is unjustifiable. So we must make do with more mainstream brands.

In that light, I would suggest re-doing and adding a few demos using Fender/ Marshall/ Peavey/ Line6/ amps. Seems right IMHO considering that these are far more common than 65's.

First, we intend on making thousands of videos, not just a couple hundred. Recording with multiple amps sounds great in theory, but in application it is impractical. We would spend days on one pedal. So with that said, if we chose a Fender the Marshall guys would say I wish it were a Marshall and the debate would begin. We chose the Soho because of it's neutral nature and low output for recording. We put a lot of thought into the amp that we chose. This amp is extremely pedal friendly. Some amps only like some pedals etc. This amp in general likes almost all pedals. Since we only wanted to use one amp to maintain the integrity of comparing videos, the Soho was our choice. We knew we would get your exact response, but from our stand point it made more sense than to just go with the status quo Fender or Marshall.

This is from our behind the scenes page.
amp_popup.jpg

• Members
We chose the Soho because of it's neutral nature and low output for recording. We put a lot of thought into the amp that we chose. This amp is extremely pedal friendly. Some amps only like some pedals etc. This amp in general likes almost all pedals. Since we only wanted to use one amp to maintain the integrity of comparing videos, the Soho was our choice. We knew we would get your exact response, but from our stand point it made more sense than to just go with the status quo Fender or Marshall.

amp_popup.jpg

I understand your reasoning, I wasn't trying to dump on you folks. By all means, keep on doing 'em. I'll definitely be using them again.

• Members

I understand your reasoning, I wasn't trying to dump on you folks. By all means, keep on doing 'em. I'll definitely be using them again.

No problem. I know you weren't trying to bag on us. It is actually an issue that we want/need to address. Your not the only one that has this thought. We actually want to explain our reasoning behind the gear that we chose. You just happen to be the one that provided me with the opportunity to do so.

We just want to share with people all that goes into the videos, the quality of the recordings, the integrity in the recording process, and the reasoning behind our choice in guitars, amps, and recording gear.

recording_popup.jpg

guitar_popup.jpg

• Members

I also thought that the "sameness" of the guitar and amp was a bit boring... until I realised that, of course, they give us a neutral starting point for focusing on the pedals... And, wtf! My main guitar is a G&L Legacy Special, so I shouldn't be complaining too much about your gear of choice.

One thing tho, you did a Catalinbread Semaphore/teaser Stallion Combo... I would LOVE more vids on how pedals interact, though I realise that it might not be your priority right now.

On one of the Tesse Wah demos Andy played clean then with distortion, and that's something I'd like to see more of in the vids, specially with time based pedals pedals, I'm really interested on how they sound thru a cranked amp!

Great work people, you've won yourself another customer.

• Members

I love you for saying that you wanted to hear how it sounds through a cranked amp. Someone that cranks their amp!!!

Combining pedals is on the radar. It is a ways out though. There are so many individual pedals that we will need to cover first. The Catalinbread Teaser Stallion and Semaphore were designed to interact with each other, that is why we did a video of the pair. The next one that we would do like that would be stacking the Xotic pedals. They were also designed to be stacked. Eventually we will begin to pair pedals up. It is the obvious next step. Right now we just want to get a huge base of videos first. We will be doing this for years. You will literally see thousands of videos from us.

• Members

It would be great if you guys tried a few more amps out, especially stuff that isn't easy to find!

All in good time. We need to re record the amps that we have videos of already. The videos sound like crap. Those were done when we were just toying with this idea. We will get to a round of amps within a month or so.

• Members

I love you for saying that you wanted to hear how it sounds through a cranked amp. Someone that cranks their amp!!!

Combining pedals is on the radar. It is a ways out though. There are so many individual pedals that we will
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=28402792

Harmony Central Musician Community Forums - Reply to Topicneed to cover first. The Catalinbread Teaser Stallion and Semaphore were designed to interact with each other, that is why we did a video of the pair. The next one that we would do like that would be stacking the Xotic pedals. They were also designed to be stacked. Eventually we will begin to pair pedals up. It is the obvious next step. Right now we just want to get a huge base of videos first. We will be doing this for years. You will literally see thousands of videos from us.

I want a shoot-out between a Catalinbread Semaphore and an SCOD!!!!!!!! :mad: Which one will make my Fender Champion 600 sound like a Hiwatt? Which one is best? Which one will get me signed to a major label fastest?! Which rainbow color is best of all of them?

:p

Cool videos PGS!

Archived