Behind the Scenes at ProGuitarShop.com Videos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

finger-pointing is very annoying.. thankfully you guys film it so you can see all the controls clearly.. so pointing at them doesn't really achieve anything. is the description scripted and dubbed afterwards?

other than that, they are the best demo's online bar none. consistency counts for a lot!

• Members

Is the description scripted and dubbed afterwards?

other than that, they are the best demo's online bar none. consistency counts for a lot!

The narration is partially over dubbed. Andy does most of the description as he is playing. Then he goes in and adds things he forgot to say etc.

• Members

I have only one small suggestion, not really a gripe. I noticed that sometimes when demoing dirt boxes, the amp is set to a dirty tone to begin with, then distorted further by the pedal. While it sounds pretty sweet, it gets a bit hard to tell the difference between amp distortion and pedal distortion. Some guys who use a Twin or some such don't ever get to distort their amp. Then again, this is kind of similar to a few posts back with what parrothead was saying with using an amp that not many people have - but you guys have good reason in sticking with it as it is a great, transparent amp. Either way, the demos are top notch and you really live up to your name, PRO Guitar Shop.

As a testimonial to the quality of your videos, I've actually bought a couple of pedals without having tried them based off of your videos, and they both have permanent spots on my board.

I'm also constantly watching the Nova Delay review and the Carbon Copy review trying to decide which one I want!

• Members

I have only one small suggestion, not really a gripe. I noticed that sometimes when demoing dirt boxes, the amp is set to a dirty tone to begin with, then distorted further by the pedal. While it sounds pretty sweet, it gets a bit hard to tell the difference between amp distortion and pedal distortion. Some guys who use a Twin or some such don't ever get to distort their amp. Then again, this is kind of similar to a few posts back with what parrothead was saying with using an amp that not many people have - but you guys have good reason in sticking with it as it is a great, transparent amp. Either way, the demos are top notch and you really live up to your name,
PRO
Guitar Shop.

Excellent point. We get this comment alot. You will notice that when you hear the clean tone that is beginning to break up, we are using a Les Paul. The humbuckers are beginning to drive the amp a bit. On a number of the videos you will see that we have a part 2 (OCD, FD2 come to mind) where we use a strat and the clean tone is really clean. Again, this comes down to amp selection. We needed a lower powered amp for recording, and second, more gigging musicians choose low powered amps. Also, tube amps sound best when running hot. Not many people are in a situation where they can crank their twin. Choosing the Soho made sense when it came down to choosing just one amp.

• Members
Excellent point. We get this comment alot. You will notice that when you hear the clean tone that is beginning to break up, we are using a Les Paul. The humbuckers are beginning to drive the amp a bit. On a number of the videos you will see that we have a part 2 (OCD, FD2 come to mind) where we use a strat and the clean tone is really clean. Again, this comes down to amp selection. We needed a lower powered amp for recording, and second, more gigging musicians choose low powered amps. Also, tube amps sound best when running hot. Not many people are in a situation where they can crank their twin. Choosing the Soho made sense when it came down to choosing just one amp.

Good point. I'm using a 30 watter for gigging (Stang Ray) and it will stay clean until you decide you don't want to hear for the rest of your life. :p

Either way, the amp sounds freaking great before you hit it with a pedal. I really do like the base sounds you guys use before you demo a pedal.

• Members
recording_popup.jpg
guitar_popup.jpg

Thanks PGS for all the great vids. You guys make it so much easier to make informed choices when pedal shopping. Keep up the great work.:thu:

Is that pic above Andy? If so, tell him I loved him in the movie Superbad.:thu:

I am McLovin!:poke:

• Members
I spend hours watching the videos.
:love:
Excellent work.

Though I do wish there were more mass produced effects... like boss, danelectro, more ehx (lol) etc. Mainly boss. Mainly boss overdrives, actually.
:p

We just put up a batch of Ibanez pedals. Those are as mainstream as it gets. We will be re doing a bunch of EH pedals soon, and adding more. We don't carry Boss. They wouldn't let us sell online. So, unfortunately, you will not see videos of their pedals. But we will get more mainstream gear in here and there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

From a marketing standpoint the videos are great. I just happened to be on youtube looking for a demo of Xotic effects and came accross the RC demo. Next day, picked up the phone and bought it. Service was very good and two weeks later, picked up the phone again and bought an OCD. Next week, it's going to be the Timefactor. Keep up the good work, it's really very informative, well produced and drives sales.,

• Members

I love these videos, but I have one request

The next time you demo an overdrive, could you please palmmute a power chord or two? Doesn't have to be much, just a little bit. That way people can hear how well it, ahum, "chuggs" :thu:

Thanks a lot for al the demo's!

• Members

Though I do wish there were more mass produced effects... like boss, danelectro, more ehx (lol) etc. Mainly boss. Mainly boss overdrives, actually.
:p

Yeah i agree. Although there's already a fair bit of stuff out there on the more common pedals, pretty much all of it is done poorly by beginner guitarists or people with rubbish cameras. It needs someone to do it properly.

Even though you don't stock them, you could just buy them? theyre cheap :).

do it for us? :):):love:

• Members

I said this in the thread on HM, but it bears repeating:

Get some server space so you can post the demos without the horrible youtube compression.

The youtube vids are fine for delays, modulation, etc, but for dirt pedals the compression pretty much destroys any sense of how the pedal responds dynamically other than the amount of distortion. You can hear it quite obviously in some of the clips: you have a nice clean tone, then kick on the pedal and the compression makes it sound really flat - not at all like it would in the room.

• Members

The youtube vids are fine for delays, modulation, etc, but for dirt pedals the compression pretty much destroys any sense of how the pedal responds dynamically other than the amount of distortion. You can hear it quite obviously in some of the clips: you have a nice clean tone, then kick on the pedal and the compression makes it sound really flat - not at all like it would in the room.

the PGS guy has said earlier that they'll be uploading higher quality vids to the web site

Archived