Most accurate stompbox tuner

• Members

Korg DT-10 is also accurate to +/-1cent like the newer Pitchblack.

the TU-2 is good enough for a lot of people, and just because you're tuning to +/-3cents DOESN'T mean you're going to be 3 cents out of tune.

like what was said above, check your intonation.

• Members

I'm a total nut about intonation. I check it on my buddy's strobe tuner just about every time I change strings. And I'm always filing and filling nuts, when I've filed too deep. I've been setting up guitars for a long time, and we all know there is no such thing as perfect intonation. I'm sure part of my problem is that I prefer vintage style Kluson tuners. Thanks for the specs on the tuners guys!

• Members

I'm a total nut about intonation. I check it on my buddy's strobe tuner just about every time I change strings. And I'm always filing and filling nuts, when I've filed too deep. I've been setting up guitars for a long time, and we all know there is no such thing as perfect intonation. I'm sure part of my problem is that I prefer vintage style Kluson tuners. Thanks for the specs on the tuners guys!

Kluson Trick... Pull the string before you tune it,then tune up..Sometimes the string will go back in tune without having to turn the tuner...

Preaching to the Choir I'm sure..;)

• Members

FWIW, I can hear a difference between the +/- 1.0 cent accuracy of the Korg (on my board for several months now), and the +/- 0.1 cent accuracy of a StroboStomp. I always have to fine tune after using the Korg. With the StroboStomp, things rang true after tuning, and it didn't take any longer to tune. However, my 2nd StroboStomp (SS2) developed issues with crackling and such... like you see all over the web... reliability problems with that unit. So I picked up the Korg DT-10 to hold me over until the new Turbo Tuner comes out and man, it's annoying to go back to that level of inaccuracy / fine tuning / etc.

The thing is, with the SS/SS2 I could tune silently in a noisy room and be assured that when I took the pedal off of bypass the guitar would be perfectly in tune. Can't do that with the DT-10. But I won't pick up another SS because of the reliability issues, and honestly, I heard a difference for the better when I took it out of the chain... and I was running it in TB. Buffered mode added hiss.

I picked up a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner (ST-122) a little while back, and that is a fantastic desktop tuner. Accurate to +/- 0.02 cents. Awesome for setups. The built in mic picks up my acoustics nicely as well. Well guess, what - they're coming out with a stompbox version of the tuner in July. I can't WAIT to pick one up and give this DT-10 to a friend of mine (who's got the Fender tuner right now). And it should only be $40 more than the Korg Pitchblack.

st2-proto4a.jpg

-Ben

• Members

Here's what I've used;

Boss Tu-2

Korg DT-10

Korg Pitchblack

Pewaves (usually on ebay).

There's is no discernable differences in tuning in any of these to the common ear. You people must be super-human or something.

By the way, the pewaves, $40.00 off of ebay - can't beat it. Tunes great, true bypass, small and rugged. The lcd is much like that of the Boss.

I use the DT-10. I like the way it works with my setup. Has a nice buffer in it. Using a 15ft lead from the guitar the board, another 5 feet of board cable, then another 15ft to the amp, true bypass doesn't always have its benefits when your signal is passing uninterupted for thirty-five feet of cable except for a couple of mxr's in the path. The dt-10 reinforces the signal a bit. I'm able to hear a difference in my overall tone between all of them and prefer the dt-10.

The pitchblack was pretty cool, but I felt no reason to keep it when the DT-10 has been working so well for me. So I returned it and spent my money on something else.

My only criticism of the tu-2 is none. Never had an issue with it. Only got the DT-10 to replace it when there was so much hype on this forum about it(much like the pitchblack).

• Members

I picked up a
Sonic Research Turbo Tune
r (ST-122) a little while back, and that is a fantastic desktop tuner. Accurate to +/- 0.02 cents. Awesome for setups. The built in mic picks up my acoustics nicely as well. Well guess, what - they're coming out with a stompbox version of the tuner in July. I can't WAIT to pick one up and give this DT-10 to a friend of mine (who's got the Fender tuner right now). And it should only be $40 more than the Korg Pitchblack.

Wowww. :thu:

I might be getting one of those instead. 0.02 cents, that's impressive.

• Members

Like Ben Co., I'll be picking up the Turbo Tuner as soon as it comes out.

Using a more accurate tuner, you don't really pluck a G string (unless my old lady is wearing one!) and notice the difference in tuning. It is when you play a chord, and play another one, then go up the neck and play another one, and everything just "rings" together. Once you witness this first hand, like relictele mentions above, your ears quickly adjust to the difference, and it makes it a bitch to ever go back to a "typical" tuner.

Just IMO, YMMV. :)

• Members

.02 Cent! Holy Pimp Batman!

:thu:

And not just +/- 0.02... +/- 0.02 for the life of the product.

BTW, for anyone interested, here's a video of the 'standard' model in action so you can get an idea for how it'll work:

[YOUTUBE]qi110ixOfk0[/YOUTUBE]

-Ben

• Members

It's funny how the simplest of things are so often overlooked. There is nothing more annoying than using your tuner to tune, and and then having to fix the tuning by ear (which is always the case). Basically, all those 1 cent tuners help you find E, then it's up to you.

It's hard to believe the analog human ear is more accurate than a digital tuner, but it really is. I'm curious as to how sensitive a human's ear is compared to .02 cent. There was that "intonation test" post that went around not too long ago. I wonder if we can pull any comparable info from that.

• Members

It's funny how the simplest of things are so often overlooked. There is nothing more annoying than using your tuner to tune, and and then having to fix the tuning by ear (which is always the case). Basically, all those 1 cent tuners help you find E, then it's up to you.

It's hard to believe the analog human ear is more accurate than a digital tuner, but it really is. I'm curious as to how sensitive a human's ear is compared to .02 cent. There was that "intonation test" post that went around not too long ago. I wonder if we can pull any comparable info from that.

many people have proven that the human is the most accurate device. That is why some are able to differentiate between 2 of the same pedal.

Archived