My Bloody Valentine Sound

• Members

How could I get these guys sound with my Gear? Any suggestions for settings for my Pedals?

Would I really need a Jazzmaster to get the warping noise sounds, surely any tremelo is sufficient? Unless the Jazzmasters bridge has something to do with it.

• Members

Well I just managed to create the sound.

Sovtek Big Muff + Pan Delay Effect on 100% Mix + Tremeloarming whilst strumming.

Loop some dissonant little thing with the 50% speed setting on the Line Six. Do the MBV thing over it, powerchords mainly, and now and again switch between "normal" version of the loop and the sped up version.

• Members

the jazzmaster/jag trem is very important to the sound. they would put tape on them so they could use them as they strummed. as far as your effects go. kevin used to use an old guvnor so maybe your drivemaster can get close. for reverse reverb. they used a yamaha spx 90 or a midiverb II.

• Members

+1 on the floating bridge trem of the Jag, JM ..or SJM62. Kevin's unique sound came partly from strumming with tremolo bar in hand, and used on some chords makes it sound like a dying record player. which was the whole point, it really screws with your ears because it sounds warped in a really cool way.

he's was a real pedal junkie when the Edge was still sticking to echo and reverb. so you could collect an ungodly amount of efx and still not hit everything Kevin Shields did in the studio.

one of the old reverse reverb pedals was the PDS 3000 Pedalverb. The Akai Headrush was used a bit.

• Members

what reverse reverb settings are we talking about? really long and wet? (ooh missus!)

but on a serious note.. the whammy bar trick.. might be doable to an extent with a behringer vibrato on the latch mode.. a medium depth pitch bend every now and then i suppose.

• Members

Jazzmaster Tremolo Arm/Boss PN-2/SPX 90 Reverse Reverb/British Stacks cranked to 10. That'll get you real close. On a budget I guess you could get the Behringer PN-2 clone when it comes out and the Marshall Reflector for reverse reverb.

This is from 1991:
mbv_kevin_1991.gif

• Members

that guitar geek diagram is not accurate. he used a guv'nor not a shredmaster. he used a turbo rat on the loveless tour. there is a thread on the "to who knows web" board where his old tech talks about the pedals he used. i posted the list here a while ago so you could probably find it here.

• Members

I remember someone posted here an interview with him saying that he didn't use nearly as many effects or even overdubs as many people think. Something about using a different chord going into his guitar to create delay too.

nice avatar bobafrett

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

loads of fuzz and strum with a floating vibrato, that's the key...when I saw them last week everything else (effects wise) was lost. I couldn't hear anything else in the mix at all. (apart from the sampled lead riffs, which was a little wierd)

• Members

i see all that gear, and I can't help but think "there's part of the reason we haven't seen a new mbv record in more than a decade.."

forgive the sacrilege, that just looks like endless wankery. creativity thrives in spite of limitations.

• Members

i see all that gear, and I can't help but think "there's part of the reason we haven't seen a new mbv record in more than a decade.."

forgive the sacrilege, that just looks like endless wankery. creativity thrives in spite of limitations.

yeah I love MBV but I agree 100%

Archived