Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has anyone compared the p08 to the pek - just the analog side - curious what - if any sound differences there are between the analog side of each.

P08 sounds more raw and dry as it should be. Both are warm and similar in basic tone.

• Members

any one else had the chance to try one out over the last few weeks ? I'm in stuck in a synth wasteland until christmas, so interested to hear....

After you get one, be sure to have a unit or plug-in with multi-mode filters handy. Does wonders.

Being that it doesn't have FX or a multimode filter, don't look at it as an end all type of piece. Better thought of as a great studio addition that's going to need some accessories to personalize.

• Members

After you get one, be sure to have a unit or plug-in with multi-mode filters handy

sounds a nice idea for adding even more, muzik, which almost reminds me of the flash of ideas replacing my d-50 with a jd-800 once helped along ;)

I'm not short of a couple of digital synths, processors or a vintage mono or two at the moment though, so I'm definitely planning on the PO8 as a fresh character-helper rather than an end-all..;./)

• Members

I actually have an acquaintance bitching about it because it has no FX and costs $2500. :rolleyes:

I told him, you don't look at something like this and not have some outboard handy. He's the kind of person that just needs a Motif XS6, Live 7, and Peak. NOTHING MORE because you just won't get it.

• Members

I actually have an acquaintance bitching about it because it has no FX and costs $2500

I'm actually pretty pleased it doesn't have the kind of contrasting digi add-on FX I don't think did the Andromeda any favours.../-.

and compared to what new polysynth keyboards used to go for , that price is pretty damn good .;.):poke:

• Members

I'm actually pretty pleased it doesn't have the kind of contrasting digi add-on FX I don't think did the Andromeda any favours.../-.

and compared to what new polysynth keyboards used to go for , that price is pretty damn good .;.):poke:

He doesn't think that way. He's more of an expression through composition type than expression through sound type. All he needs are straight production tools and right now Yamaha has that crown IMO.

VA's, RA's, and softsynths would be largely wasted on him. We butt heads because of the contrasting differences but he'd be a great teammate if we could get past the personal side and focus on music and ideas.

• Members
any one else had the chance to try one out over the last few weeks ? I'm stuck in a synth wasteland until christmas, so interested to hear....

My Prophet '08 arrived two days ago. Admittedly, I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I'm really blown away by what it can sound like. Given all the stacking/unison options, it can sound HUGE, but it can also sound intimate. It can sound very polite, but then with noise and modulation it can sound crazy insane harsh. And of course the arp and sequencer are just excellent, but I love those in my Poly Evo too. :)

Also, the build quality is solid (which I was very happy about, my MEK's PCB board feels like it's loose in the case...).

Orren

• Members

I like the idea of synths with no effects too. If you record with effects you're stuck with them forever, but you can always go back and mess with a dry signal. Plus the effects are usually not that good. Exspecially workstation reverb. Better algorithms can be had for free, or close to it, in the VST world.

• Members

I like the idea of synths with no effects too....Plus the effects are usually not that good.

Along those lines, I remember a French keyboard magazine had some video of interview sessions with Dave Smith in which he showed the prototype Prophet '08, just PCBs and a keybed on a table. He mentioned that the prototype on the table had some bucket brigade analog delay chips as he was considering adding analog delay to the unit, but after testing it out, he felt the delay chips sounded bad.

Honestly, unison mode is so thick, and you can get crazy modulations going, so I don't really miss any sort of chorus effect; between the delays on the filter, VCA, LFO, and using the step sequencer you can get a really good delay going; It's too bad there's no distortion, but you can get things pretty dirty when you play with noise, audio mod, and resonance. Other than using effects as crazy mod options or including a fully-featured digital multi-effects unit inside, I personally don't feel that too much could be gained by adding effects.

Orren

• Members

re its unison mode, there were various suggestions on another forum of late that the PO8's unison mode sounds more 'atypically DCO unison' , and closer to 'typical analogue unison' ; looking forward to hearing how far this might work when I finally have a chance to demo the thing.

I'm planning to order one from Modularsquare, but do any other posters from the UK know if Turnkey definitely has one permanently on demo ?

• Members

Just gave the p08 a spin in Turdkey, at least, after the sales assistant spent about 15 minutes trying to get it to make a sound, then had to get a techy out to do some sort of weird super reset on it... no idea what was going on there, think someone had been dicking with it in a way that the usual off/on wouldn't sort out.

it's certainly got a sound of it's own, not so much like the P600 to play, or the Opera 6 (i can't comment on the P5 as i've never owned one), quite surprisingly aggressive, poss. a little clean for my taste... the 'Purity Control' patch (thanks Carbon) actually reminded me rather of a particular kind of sound i used to get out of my wavestation (in a good way).

cosmetically, a very sexy looking synth to behold... though i have to admit the knob wobble is just a teeny bit worrying :(

• Members

I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so with that in mind, I thought to address a couple of points. :)

quite surprisingly aggressive, poss. a little clean for my taste...

It may just be your word choice, but those two comments seem a little contradictory to me. To my vocabulary, "clean" means "lacking edge" and aggressive means "edgy."

Not to doubt your observations, of course, I'm just trying to determine what you were trying to say. Did you perhaps mean "surprisingly edgy but in a non-distorted kind of way?"

One of the things I love about this synth is how the same patch, when you start playing with the A/B stacking and unison mode, can go from sounding tame to larger than life. So I've found that if you take one of those "slightly edgy but still polite" sounds and start playing with stacking and unison, it can definitely sound HUGE, gritty and mean, even if it's not "distorted" in the tube screamer overdrive sense. And this is without programming it at all, this is all just playing around with a few buttons on the interface.

cosmetically, a very sexy looking synth to behold... though i have to admit the knob wobble is just a teeny bit worrying
:(

You know, I wonder if the store demo model had been futzed with in a non-double-plus-good way. The hard reset and the wobbly knobs seem to indicate that something isn't quite right with that one. On my P08, if I put my fingers at the base of a knob, rock it back and forth with minimal pressure, the knobs don't wobble. Now, if I start to push them from side to side, they sure will. But in normal use of twiddling and twisting, they seem stable.

Orren

Archived