WOT: England knife/gun crime

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The fact that you have a word for "to hit somebody with a bottle" (botteling) says it all!

To be fair that's just because we add "ing" on to the end of the noun and we do it with everything.

Hit someone with a bottle = Bottling

Have sex with someone = Nobbing

etc etc :thu:

• Members

Personally I think Britain has become more violent. Leaving the environment you're most common with helps that. I went to university in 1997. Coming back to Wiltshire, there was a noticable increase in crime, mostly in younger men. It was drink-fuelled. It was {censored}ty small town ego that got ramped up by booze and exploded out.

The three years I spent in Toronto, I lived and worked downtown. I'd often finish work around midnight and after and walk back at night. I'd pass prostitutes who were far more visible than anything I'd seen during my year in London. It was the same with drug dealers. In those three years, I don't remember seeing one fight involving alcohol. The sale of booze is a lot more controlled than the UK, one reason why pot is more common over there. I'd tax the {censored} out of store bought alcohol. It's absurd that you can get cans of lager for less than a bottle of Pepsi in the UK. You don't get that in Toronto. There's two places you can get beer from that I remember, the LCO and the Beer Store. There are checks, people aren't afraid to say 'No, I won't serve you' if you look underage and the prices aren't dirt cheap. Supermarkets don't sell booze over there like they do here.

I've been back in the UK for three years now and Wiltshire has seen an increase in fights. I know two people I went to school with who are now brain-damaged and on ventilators after random indiscriminate attacks by gangs of young guys. The ego has got worse. Idiot guys, out to prove how tough they are.

I put a lot of the blame down to alcohol. check out the figures for alcohol consumed by women over the last five years and then compare those figures to the amount of violent crime involving women. There's something to look at there. Alcohol doesn't make people carry knives. I feel most people carry knives as a status symbol, no different really to owning one of those {censored}ing 4x4 bastard carriers when you live in leafy Pinner. It's the people carrying knives who get drunk and start acting out that are the trouble. Intoxication destroys the sensibilities and the rational thought processes. The Sophie Lancaster case that I've mentioned here before featured drunk teenagers who beat the crap out of two people.

I find the hypocrisy with alcohol compared to tobacco to be disgusting. A few weeks ago, the press was filled with government ideas about the banning of tobacco products from full view and keeping them under the counter. The notion was also put forward that the brightly coloured packets encourage people to smoke. Walking into my local Tesco Express that night, one metre from the main door was a new promotional offer featuring beer, wine and cider. All colourful bottles, all ridiculously cheap. I'd warrant alcohol destroys just as many lives as smoking yet it's treated like some kind of novelty by stores.

• Members

I don't want to go back to public hanging, but prisons should be so horrible that no one ever wants to go there, and at the moment they're not. No great surprise though seeing as our government wrote the European Convention of Human Rights into our own laws. Because of course we have to ensure that we don't breach the human rights of someone who (for instance) rapes and kills children do we?
:rolleyes:

It's another example of the failure of Europe. It's a classic case of trying to push complete integration of several countries who have differing social and political strands and making a great big {censored}ing mess out of it. The notion of Europe is a superb one and a combined state is a fine idea and one aI agree with but the implementation of it has been a disaster and keeps on getting worse.

• Members

In my home town we NEVER had problems (winchester) but now there are. I dont worry too much and i dont let it effect where i go, but it is a shame it even crosses your mind when walking through town at night, especially past a pub at about 11!!!

• Members

...and whilst we debate crime and why it's starting, there are important things like this going on:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7490346.stm

Separately, the Food and Agricultural Organisation and the World Health Organisation have decided - after seven years of debate - what qualifies as a proper tomato.

The ruling means tomatoes may be round, ribbed, oblong or elongated, or can be cherry tomatoes or cocktail tomatoes. Other characteristics include being clean, whole, fresh in appearance, and free from foreign smells and pests.

SEVEN {censored}ING YEARS TO DETERMINE WHAT A TOMATO IS. SEVEN {censored}ING YEARS. IT'S TAKEN THEM PRACTICALLY THE ENTIRE REIGN OF GEORGE W. BUSH TO DETERMINE WHAT A MOTHER{censored}ING TOMATO IS.

If there was an icon featuring a man simultaneously smacking his head against his desk whilst slamming a rolled-up newspaper into his testicles, I'd use it now.

• Members

Isane!!! Im up there tomorrow, moving in. Im at the end near the bullet bar. Goiung to Purple Turtle tomorrow for Stay Beautiful.

I was only kidding. Wish I lived in Camden.

Bullet Bar isn't fantastic but Purple Turtle is good at times. I prefer The Enterprize / Lock Tavern up by Chalk Farm..

• Members

I was only kidding. Wish I lived in Camden.

Bullet Bar isn't fantastic but Purple Turtle is good at times. I prefer The Enterprize / Lock Tavern up by Chalk Farm..

Ok, now i feel a dick! Yep Bullet Bar isnt great, but there's plenty of fun stuff around.

• Members

^^^
It's just mental. You have politicians who try these crackpot fasttrack schemes to sort out the NHS, schools, crime and society in general. They demand results, scrutinise schools and bitch them out for minor percentage drops in performance and then you look to organisations as vast as the WHO and they're taking seven years to determine what a {censored}ing tomato is.

• Members

I'd tax the {censored} out of store bought alcohol.

The problem is that is a policy of punishing the sensible majority for the actions of the braindead few, which is God awful policy. I know hundreds of people who will enjoy a can of beer at home and not one of them go out looking for fights on a Saturday night. You don't price someone out of the market if you want to stop them doing something illegal, you simply uphold the law - arrest and punish the little {censored}ers. We need to make it difficult for them to buy, not make it more difficult for everyone else to buy.

People have always been drinkers in Britain. They brought out laws 300 years ago because of drink fuelled bad behaviour so this is nothing new. It may have got worse but I happen to think that it's a series of events that have gone to cause the problem. Drink is one of them, a total lack of respect for authority figures is another, and the fact that people acting this way have little fear of the reprisals that may come their way if arrested because many feel the law can't touch them. And they're right. They aren't punished and they walk from the station laughing at the police and the system.

• Members

They demand results, scrutinise schools and bitch them out for minor percentage drops in performance

But that's another standard characteristic in Britain today. The concensus of opinion is that you can make a pig fatter by weighing it every day.

• Members

The problem is that is a policy of punishing the sensible majority for the actions of the braindead few, which is God awful policy. I know hundreds of people who will enjoy a can of beer at home and not one of them go out looking for fights on a Saturday night. You don't price someone out of the market if you want to stop them doing something illegal, you simply uphold the law - arrest and punish the little {censored}ers. We need to make it difficult for them to buy, not make it more difficult for everyone else to buy.

People have always been drinkers in Britain. They brought out laws 300 years ago because of drink fuelled bad behaviour so this is nothing new. It may have got worse but I happen to think that it's a series of events that have gone to cause the problem. Drink is one of them, a total lack of respect for authority figures is another, and the fact that people acting this way have little fear of the reprisals that may come their way if arrested because many feel the law can't touch them. And they're right. They aren't punished and they walk from the station laughing at the police and the system.

I don't think it's a case of 'the few' anymore. it's gone beyond some small hardcore minority. With alcohol, you're seeing prices being reduced to a never before seen level. It is absurd that a pint of Stella Artois may cost about

• Members

I honestly can't stand the British binge culture. I'm 22 and don't really drink that much. Not saying that I haven't binged, as I do occasionally but the whole culture, which is seemingly only glorified over here with TV shows like 'Booze Britain' is pretty gross.

• Members

Personally I think Britain has become more violent. Leaving the environment you're most common with helps that. I went to university in 1997. Coming back to Wiltshire, there was a noticable increase in crime, mostly in younger men. It was drink-fuelled. It was {censored}ty small town ego that got ramped up by booze and exploded out.

The three years I spent in Toronto, I lived and worked downtown. I'd often finish work around midnight and after and walk back at night. I'd pass prostitutes who were far more visible than anything I'd seen during my year in London. It was the same with drug dealers. In those three years, I don't remember seeing one fight involving alcohol. The sale of booze is a lot more controlled than the UK, one reason why pot is more common over there. I'd tax the {censored} out of store bought alcohol. It's absurd that you can get cans of lager for less than a bottle of Pepsi in the UK. You don't get that in Toronto. There's two places you can get beer from that I remember, the LCO and the Beer Store. There are checks, people aren't afraid to say 'No, I won't serve you' if you look underage and the prices aren't dirt cheap. Supermarkets don't sell booze over there like they do here.

I've been back in the UK for three years now and Wiltshire has seen an increase in fights. I know two people I went to school with who are now brain-damaged and on ventilators after random indiscriminate attacks by gangs of young guys. The ego has got worse. Idiot guys, out to prove how tough they are.

I put a lot of the blame down to alcohol. check out the figures for alcohol consumed by women over the last five years and then compare those figures to the amount of violent crime involving women. There's something to look at there. Alcohol doesn't make people carry knives. I feel most people carry knives as a status symbol, no different really to owning one of those {censored}ing 4x4 bastard carriers when you live in leafy Pinner. It's the people carrying knives who get drunk and start acting out that are the trouble. Intoxication destroys the sensibilities and the rational thought processes. The Sophie Lancaster case that I've mentioned here before featured drunk teenagers who beat the crap out of two people.

I find the hypocrisy with alcohol compared to tobacco to be disgusting. A few weeks ago, the press was filled with government ideas about the banning of tobacco products from full view and keeping them under the counter. The notion was also put forward that the brightly coloured packets encourage people to smoke. Walking into my local Tesco Express that night, one metre from the main door was a new promotional offer featuring beer, wine and cider. All colourful bottles, all ridiculously cheap. I'd warrant alcohol destroys just as many lives as smoking yet it's treated like some kind of novelty by stores.

+1,000,000,000,000,000

Archived