WOT: England knife/gun crime

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And i thought America was bad.

I second that. I thought england was just kinda like nice peaceful and elegent, but then again I guess it's just London. I mean look at detroit or some other big cities with bad crime rate..that doesn't mean all of america is bad. so I guess all of England isn't bad either..

• Members

WTH...

Take a second, go outside (if weather permits), look at the life around you and realise that it's not that bad a world out there.

I'm not saying that we should drown out the importance of what is happening here today (the French biotech student murder is horrific - ritualistic?) we should inform ourselves and be fully aware of it. But i'm not one to live in fear of it, and let it change how I expect to live my life. But, I'm not going to be stupid and seek trouble either (I live not too far off of Saaauf London).

I'm not sure I'm a fan of touting rising stats when methods of obtaining information change over the years, with things like population and population increases in urban areas as well changing the importance of such information. It's about psychology here; if something is being kept in the public eye for long enough, it gets ingrained in the minds of the public. They then become more receptive to moves against it, natural reaction.

Is what is being done in the name of protecting us really going to adress the problems of some people carrying knives? There's an observation, that either the US or in the UK, if you want to carry a knife, you can. There might be laws against it, but laws are only applicable to those caught. And successfully arrested. But the powers that the police may or may not get to fight it, won't they affect us all? Is it worth it to you? Do you want to live in fear?

mmm...

Why do I get the feeling that you're the sort of person who pours scorn on media reporting on violence yet would be quite quick to come out with 9/11 conspiracy theories and New World Order talk?

• Members

I second that. I thought england was just kinda like nice peaceful and elegent, but then again I guess it's just London. I mean look at detroit or some other big cities with bad crime rate..that doesn't mean all of america is bad. so I guess all of England isn't bad either..

It's not just London. There's gang violence and stabbings going all on over the country, in the big cities and also in the outer lying towns. In fact some of the towns are far worse than the inner cities for violence.

There are nice places just like any country but the problems we have are national rather than being limited to London.

• Members

There's different types of violence. Proper gang violence is a bigger city thing. Around Wiltshire, there are several {censored}ty little gangs who generally ride mopeds and assault people. I hated university in Worcester because it was a classic case of small-town ego causing trouble. It didn't matter if you were a student or not, there was the chance to get caught up in something just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, as I was. This violent element is a British thing. Canada is stereotyped as being quite a pacifist nation and I feel that is reflected in their greater respect for property and other people. Britain is turning into a thuggish {censored}hole.

• Members

I think a lot of the aggression comes from the pub environment - too many people in too small a space. The loud music also contributes to a tense, claustrophobic atmosphere, and I know from personal experience that certain beers can make me irritable (who knows what they put in it). I don't cause trouble, but when you experience rudeness and people bumping into you all night it's difficult to resist pulling someone up on their behaviour, and that's when issues can escalate. For these reasons I prefer quiet pubs wherever possible and I don't just think it's my age, there seem to be a lot more people nowadays who can't take their alcohol (or maybe they're just taking more of it :confused: )

Not much knife crime in my area but let's face it, there shouldn't be any at all. I almost wonder if someone somewhere wants violence, burglary etc to continue, another way to keep the general population scared and submissive.
Almost... but I think in reality they are just clueless as to how to stop it. Deterrants, tougher sentences. Heck, there was a story the other day about shortening sentences to ease the burden on the prisons. That's 180 degrees from the only thing that could possibly work, people need to know that crime is wrong and they will be punished, and as others have said right now they're laughing. Of course, if you owe the Gov or a Corporation any money... I think it's clear where priorities lie right now.

• Members

IMO i think all the problems come from grassroots level. What else have kids got to do? im only 21 myself so it was still pretty similar when i was younger.

I lived in a smallish town and there was literally nothing to do. All the parks had been shut down or banned ball games and our school playing fields prohibited any out of school activities.

There also used to be this live music night every week which a lot of U18's in the area[including myself] used to goto as the bar there served pretty much anyone. Whilst underage drinking may seem like a bad thing, it kept everyone off the streets and in one policeable place at least.

In the end the police shut down the night because they cottoned on to it. But the thing is, we had about 150 U18's goto this every week. Now the fact is a small majority of them are going to wander round the streets instead getting pissed outside off licenses and probably hanging round with the 'wrong sort' and before you know it they've been introduced to coke, knives and what not.

• Members

I understand that and I was a pain in the arse when I was 16 too, but we didn't have anything to do either and we didn't knife people or rob old ladies. And one reason why we all seemed to know where to draw the line is that we were genuinely scared of getting in trouble with the police or our parents.

If I'd have gone home when I was 16 and told my dad that a copper had given me a slap because we were up to no good, then I'd have got another one off my dad. Anything like that happens now and the parent will sue the met.

So I reckon parenting has got {censored} along with losing corporal punishment which was great! ;)

• Members

Kids aren't taught to respect authority anymore. They don't respect authority whether they're sober or drunk. When you're young you have yet to live and learn. These people don't understand the consequences of their violent actions. Prison isn't a deterent to many of these young criminals and by the time they get to prison the damage is already done anyway. I don't think its a Jeckle and Hyde thing, i.e people turn into murderers after a swig of a drink.
They are just violent kids/people anyway cause they've been bought up that way
and exposed to that type of culture. I don't care if you drink yourself to death but don't pick a fight cause you're drunk.

Exactly. I blame {censored}ty {censored}ing violent, drunk, unloving, crackhead parents who don't teach their kids values. As far as I'm concerned, respect and education starts at home. With no decent parental role models to look up to and in many cases, no father at home because he's banged up in prison or just decided to leave the family, these kids end up respecting gang members as their role models. If they've not been taught right from wrong, they're not gonna be worried about stabbing someone just for DisResPeKtiNG them.

• Members
Sounds like Londontown needs the ultimate equalizer:

HFC-132S-Silver-4-Inch-Green-Gas-Revolve

So glad to live in the USA.:cop:

I have to say that if you examine what a soccer game in Europe looks like, you get an eyeful of the larger issue. A HUGE unwashed mass of lowlives who have very little care for human life or personal longevity. Well, that and NOBODY to fear... There's a reason that Switzerland was never invaded and that London is home invasion robbery central.

• Members
So England's finally becoming like the US, huh? Now you see what I have to endure each time I want to pick my pedals up at a remote mail box, or even step outside to taste the wonderfully dirty, poisonous, opaque ghetto air - certain death.

I carry a pointed metal file with me at all times to either stab or parry the stabs of others. Against guns I am currently defenseless, however
:mad:
THAT WILL ALL CHANGE SOON. PREPARE TO DIE ART MUSEUM AREA CRIMINALS

Put down the joint :eek:.. you're a bit paranoid there. Not to mention, that a file is about the dumbest thing you can bring to a knife fight. You are just as liable for carrying a concealed weapon also. You may want to invest in running shoes if the nail file is your first defense.

• Members

To me it sounds like British Law Enforcement are being a bunch of pussies. If something like the French biostudent torture happened in America the whole place would be on lockdown till the {censored}ers were caught. You have to let the law to do its job. edit plus im allowed to own lots of guns and DO.

• Members
But that's the biggest problem with this country, they
won't
fry his brains out. If they catch him and find him guilty the system as it stands wants to rehabilitate people and not punish them. As far as I'm concerned I don't care if he's rehabilitated or not, because he shouldn't be let back on the streets until an expert in the field says that he is. But I'm damn sure he should be punished.

Truth is at the moment in the UK people think juvenile detention and prison are easy options. Hell we've apparantly had 40-odd cases in the last year of people trying to break
into
prisons! They have 3 square meals a day, TVs in their rooms and even the killers of James Bulger has Playstations.

Punishment for the violent? Nope. But they'll lock an old lady up if she refuses to pay her council tax because her bins aren't being collected.

I don't want to go back to public hanging, but prisons should be so horrible that no one ever wants to go there, and at the moment they're not. No great surprise though seeing as our government wrote the European Convention of Human Rights into our own laws. Because of course we have to ensure that we don't breach the human rights of someone who (for instance) rapes and kills children do we?
:rolleyes:

i hear ya dude, its the same in canada. in prison over here, prisoners get to vote, free food, can recieve a college education, and all they have to do is claim what they did was in the name of religion (which you can now officially make for 100$ and 2 pieces of paper and i believe 10-20 signatures...so a cult) and your sentence is reduced to half.

there was this family from the middle east that murdered theyre daughter because she had pre marital sex and were charged with 1st degree but it got reduced to manslaughter because they said they could do that in thier home country. hobos over here will just walk up to cops and punch them in the face so they can spend the night with a roof above their heads and a couple meals.

• Members

It's not just London. There's gang violence and stabbings going all on over the country, in the big cities and also in the outer lying towns. In fact some of the towns are far worse than the inner cities for violence.

Very true. I live in the old (quiet part) of Torquay and we had a kid stabbed to death about 3yrs ago at the end of my road. We have a few (~5) 'gangs' who occasionally fight it out, because they want to be gangstaz.

Most of the violence we have here is alcohol related though at the weekends.

Archived