Is the Digitech EX-7 Expression Factory a sleeper?

gambit

• Members

i've just read the manual.. because i never really looked into the parameters that can be changed on this thing.

Whammy:

Tone control and dry/wet mix of the pitched signal. EX-7 wins.

Synth Swell:

Adjustable pitch interval, chorus/pitch balance and adjustable attack time for auto-swell. EX-7 wins.

i wouldn't use the wah's, flanger or distortions.. but still, the major downpoints of the whammy pedal and XP-300 are taken care of. plus a leslie and uni-vibe, however they sound, can be useful for some stuff.. i have other pedals doing those things, but they are probably two effects i'd like to have more of.

i think this could satisfy my current budget (:cry:) and give me a few sounds while i'm at it. so it begs the questions..

Does the shocking XP-series 'bypass' still exist with the EX-7?

Does it work off a daisy chain? what's the ma draw?

Does it suck in any way?

• Members

I don't know if I'd call it a true sleeper, but it is definitely underrated.

Either way, it is definitely a good pedal. I play with a guy who uses it all the time, and it always sounds good and offers a lot more versatility than you would expect.

I've never noticed any bypass issues with it, but then again, I'm not playing it, he is.

• Members

the ex-7 really is an awesome pedal. i compared the bypass thing with a whammy 4 and the ex-7 was better. There is also a problem with those who use a fuzz factory (zvex) with a whammy. I tried it with the ex-7 and it works amazingly! A seriously good pedal. And the synth swell is fantastic. Sure it aint much on the original space station pedal but at that price it's pretty much worth it for the synth swell alone. :)

Edit: btw, i dont think it can be powered by a daisy chain. In terms of power it's pretty much the same as a whammy 4.

• Members

This thread just made me realize that maybe I should get this since I've always wanted the space station, ada flanger knock off, and a whammy with a mix knob. But would you get all the harmonies that are on the whammy?
:confused:

you get:

detune

2nd up>M3rd Up

5th Up

Octave up

2 octave up

octave down>octave up

reverse 2nd down (?!)

that's all i'd need if i was replacing my whammy/wah

• Members

My biggest concern with this pedal, is that I used to use all digital effects (Digitech TSR-24) in a medium sized rack system.

I've since "gone retro", all tube combo, and mostly analog pedals.

The EX-7 looks too good to be true, I just wonder how artificial the effects sound?

• Members

My biggest concern with this pedal, is that I used to use all digital effects (Digitech TSR-24) in a medium sized rack system.

The EX-7 looks too good to be true, I just wonder how artificial the effects sound?

I'm sure that if you've got a good tube amp they would sound OK.

• Members

If it sounds anything like the XP-1000, then you will notice a difference compared to an all analog circuit. But seriously, there's no way to make the Space Station Synth Swells sound natural. For the price, Digitech makes some cool stuff.

• Members

pitch shifting and synth swell sounds are always going to be digital.. although the EX-7 is going to be capable of more 'analog' sounding pitch shifting if you take some treble of the shifted signal..

i think that's one of the best things in this. i'm thinking nice subtle octave up that don't sound piercing and just layer up another texture under the guitar signal.

• Members

ok question for EX-7 users. On the space station settings you have detuned, 4th up, 5th up, octave up, 4th down, 5th down, and octave down. On the manual I noticed in between the these intervals there are 3 semi-intervals. If you selected one of these intervals in between the designated ones do you get other harmonies such as 2nd and 3rd?

Archived