Best Delay with Tap Tempo!!

ju5t1n20

• Members

New to pedals and looking for a delay pedal with tap tempo, which one out there is best sounding. I have been using a modeling amp effects processor. Just seeing what you gear whores think out there about this. Finally making my transition to stompboxes and a tube amp. Thanks you guys.

• Members

Popular responses:

$400+

-Diamond Memory Lane

-Empress Superdelay

-T-Rex Replica

-Eventide Timefactor

$150+

TC Nova Delay

Boss DD-7

Boss DD-20

EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazari

DLS EchoTAP

Line 6 DL4

Boss DD-5 w/ FS-5U

$100-ish

Line 6 EchoPark

Boss DD-6

• Members

Popular responses:

$400+

-Diamond Memory Lane

-Empress Superdelay

-T-Rex Replica

-Eventide Timefactor

$150+

Boss DD-7

Boss DD-20

DLS EchoTAP

Line 6 DL4

Boss DD-5 w/ FS-5U

$100-ish

Line 6 EchoPark

Boss DD-6

STFU Noob!;)

• Members

^^^ Forgot about that one ..... oops!! (Added to the list)

---

And really.... it all depends on what you want. There are a LOT of options (and opinions) out there for "what's best."

The middle bracket up there gets a lot of love -- mostly because you get a lot of features for a decent amount of cash. A LOT of DL4, DD-20 & SMMH ownership here. The EchoTAP isn't as popular... mainly because it's a little pricey new ($150-ish used) and is pretty basic feature-wise. The DD-7 is newer, so you won't see as many .... but I had one and can tell you it's a great pedal. Compact, full of useful features & there for a great price. I'd buy that over any of the other Boss delays w/ TT.

But if you want more features and are prepared to spend more .... there's a TON of reasons to own a Superdelay or Timefactor.

I'm guessing that since you're coming out of a modeler, something along the lines of that middle range will suit you best. I can give my opinion on DL4/DD-20 argument, but more people will probably tell you to get the SMMH first, which I haven't owned .... so if you want more info on any of those, do a search and I'm sure you'll find a boatload of info/opinions.

• Members

The EH Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai is really cool.

bingo

and anything on crash's list is good as well

I have had:

SMMH

DD-20

DD-6

Echo Park

Right now I have the echo park, but I have decided to sell it and go back to the SMMH

I hated the DD-20 and the DD-6 because the boss delays are too..meh, the repeats just don't sound natural enough.

I like the Echo Park but I despise the tap tempo and the bypass being on the same switch.

The SMMH's repeats sound really warm, and natural. There is a separate tap tempo button. You can loop on any setting. And the reverse delay is the best sounding and most usable reverse delay that I have played and heard.

• Members

I use an Echo Park. I think the dual tap temp/bypass switch is pretty easy to get used to. Has tons of useful features. It's stereo, has a couple really cool rhythmic panning patterns, a great reverse delay, three voices that all sound really good and vibrato, chorus, and something called "flutter" for tape delay. All packed into a pretty small box, and you can find them pretty cheaply.

Not the "best," but perhaps the best for your money.

• Members

Popular responses:

$400+

-Diamond Memory Lane

-Empress Superdelay

-T-Rex Replica

-Eventide Timefactor

$150+

TC Nova Delay

Boss DD-7

Boss DD-20

EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazari

DLS EchoTAP

Line 6 DL4

Boss DD-5 w/ FS-5U

$100-ish

Line 6 EchoPark

Boss DD-6

Another irresponsible post...tsk tsk.

Akai Headrush owns

• Members

I've never played it .... and haven't heard much about it. It's off my radar. And probably overrated. Much like you. :poke:
:lol:

For a dude who flips so many pedals its hard to believe you missed the boat on the Headrush. :poke:

Im overrated huh? Like the superdelay? Wow, who knew i was getting so much unwarranted positive praise!:love:

• Members

Not to be irrelevant and off topic, but i really like how your advice is so level headed and experience based. Not the usual "i have it, so it must be the best' stuff. I find that admirable.

Rock on.

^^^ Forgot about that one ..... oops!! (Added to the list)

---

And really.... it all depends on what you want. There are a LOT of options (and opinions) out there for "what's best."

The middle bracket up there gets a lot of love -- mostly because you get a lot of features for a decent amount of cash.
A LOT
of DL4, DD-20 & SMMH ownership here. The EchoTAP isn't as popular... mainly because it's a little pricey new ($150-ish used) and is pretty basic feature-wise. The DD-7 is newer, so you won't see as many .... but I had one and can tell you it's a great pedal. Compact, full of useful features & there for a great price. I'd buy that over any of the other Boss delays w/ TT.

But if you want more features and are prepared to spend more .... there's a TON of reasons to own a Superdelay or Timefactor.

I'm guessing that since you're coming out of a modeler, something along the lines of that middle range will suit you best. I can give my opinion on DL4/DD-20 argument, but more people will probably tell you to get the SMMH first, which I haven't owned .... so if you want more info on any of those, do a search and I'm sure you'll find a boatload of info/opinions.

• Members

For a dude who flips so many pedals its hard to believe you missed the boat on the Headrush. :poke:

Im overrated huh? Like the superdelay? Wow, who knew i was getting so much unwarranted positive praise!
:love:

I was kidding....hope that was evident. Either way --

I just never saw a reason to get a Headrush. Then again, I never bought into an SMMH either. Bottom line is, like I said before, there are a ton of options and even more opinions on those options. And like Blungo said, I've owned, and thus played, a lot of {censored} (a decent majority of that list I provided actually) ... so it's safe to say that I know a little of what I'm talking about. Laugh about all the gear I've had, that's fine ... but if/when you've had more than a dozen delays to compare the Headrush to .... and if you still want to say it's the best you've played -- feel free.

I have had more than a dozen delays to compare it to, and that's what I think of the Superdelay.

• Members

Slightly off topic, but would it be a good move to trade my DD-20 for a Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport?

Really depends on how you use delay I'd say....

The DD-20 is a workhorse. With the presets, tap tempo, the screen and the looping and all, it's a good all-around delay with a TON of usability -- though it was a typical Boss delay sound-wise ... just a little sterile IMO. Not bad, but in my experience, it's not going to be as warm as others.

I haven't owned one, but rumor has it that the DT sounds great (arguably better than the DD-20), but OTOH it doesn't give you the presets, tap tempo or anything -- it's pretty basic. I mean, honestly, if it was me, and if I was going to go that simple ... I'd just get a MXR Carbon Copy and be done with it. Being that it's analog it'll sound a lot warmer and give you similar features as the DT ... only, it's going to sound better IMO (and there's a lot of CC love to prove it).

So if you need all the extras -- the looping, presets, tap tempo ... stick with the DD-20. If you want better sound and can sacrifice the features, go with something else -- like a Carbon Copy or Disaster Transport. (Or, if you want to keep the features and get something different, try for a DL-4 or SMMH.)

Cash-wise ... if your DD-20 is in good shape, you should get him to throw in $10 or $15 to even things out on the DT deal IMO.

Archived