Best Delay with Tap Tempo!!

ju5t1n20

• Members

Really depends on how you use delay I'd say....

So if you need all the extras -- the looping, presets, tap tempo ... stick with the DD-20. If you want better sound and can sacrifice the features, go with something else -- like a Carbon Copy or Disaster Transport.

This is what I was thinking, I guess I just needed someone to confirm it. The big kicker for me would be to lose the looping capabilities, the rest I don't care about. I had a Headrush (twice now) and just never bonded completely with it.

The Superdelay is what I really want but is way outta my range for now. I'll just wait until I can get a good deal on yours in another week or two. :thu:

• Members

whatever the 'best' may be, people should accept that the Boss DD's do not put out what you put in. the repeats are significantly different (ie huge bass and low mids cut out leaving weak, thin repeats) especially compared to other digital delays.. marshall echohead's digital mode wipes the floor with it for the old signal in = signal out thing. just saying.

• Members

whatever the 'best' may be, people should accept that the Boss DD's do not put out what you put in. the repeats are significantly different (ie huge bass and low mids cut out leaving weak, thin repeats) especially compared to other digital delays.. marshall echohead's digital mode wipes the floor with it for the old signal in = signal out thing. just saying.

I was just looking at on of the Echoheads here on line, do you have to set it in a certain mode in order to use the tap tempo or can you just plug it in and go? Are they true bypass effects?

• Members

This may be true, but if we're going down this line then its right to mention that the SMMH significantly colours your sound (especially when in an effects loop). I'm not saying its a bad thing (I own one), but both the repeats and the 'dry' output signal have a bit of a hollow, almost reverby sound.

I won't even mention the volume drop...

• Members

I was just looking at on of the Echoheads here on line, do you have to set it in a certain mode in order to use the tap tempo or can you just plug it in and go? Are they true bypass effects?

You can use the tap tempo on every mode so it's just plug in and go :). I don't know about the true-bypass. If you use it in spill-over mode, you'll have a buffer in you circuit but i think i read in the manual that when you use it in normal mode, it doesn't affect your signal. Not sure on that one though because it's been a while since i've read it.

• Members

You can use the tap tempo on every mode so it's just plug in and go
:)
. I don't know about the true-bypass. If you use it in spill-over mode, you'll have a buffer in you circuit but i think i read in the manual that when you use it in normal mode, it doesn't affect your signal. Not sure on that one though because it's been a while since i've read it.

yeh, using the no-spill-over output is supposedly true bypass. i can't notice the difference, but i would guess it could well be. the input signal doesn't get digitized at all so it passes straight through the pedal..

the tap tempo just has an external jack for your cheapo keyboard sustain switch or whatever. works in every mode. shame it doesn't have a subdivision function for what you tap in, but that would be asking for the world at the price these go for.

• Members

I've used the DL4 and most recently bought the DD-20. I traded the DL4 because it was too easy for the knobs to move while you are playing in a live situation. It was just not reliable enough for gigging. I have been pleased with the DD-20 so far, but I have only had it for about a month. I was using two DD-3's between the DD-20 and the DL4, so the BOSS delay sound doesn't bother me so much. I haven't used any of the other pedals mentioned.

• Members

If only the DD-3 had tap tempo. The sound of that delay was great!

The D-5 really does sound great. I run it through the send and return of a Psionic Audio Triad and by original signal is not tampered with this way. The effect and original signal are separate this way and it sounds badass.

• Members

I was kidding....hope that was evident. Either way --

I just never saw a reason to get a Headrush. Then again, I never bought into an SMMH either. Bottom line is, like I said before, there are a ton of options and even more opinions on those options. And like Blungo said, I've owned, and thus played, a lot of {censored} (a decent majority of that list I provided actually) ... so it's safe to say that I know a little of what I'm talking about. Laugh about all the gear I've had, that's fine ... but if/when you've had more than a dozen delays to compare the Headrush to .... and if you still want to say it's the best you've played -- feel free.

I have had more than a dozen delays to compare it to, and that's what I think of the Superdelay.

I too presently own or have owned everything on that list and more, with exception to the supremely overhyped super delay. I have a delay problem...yeah i said it...but i know im not alone on this forum so...Its just to my ears the headrush is one of the best bang for the buck delay / loopers available. Its not just about price either its about performance and sound quality. I have sang the praises of this pedal over and over through the years...Mine is at least 8 years old...and it nevers fails to impress. sure i have bought others before and since but when it comes down to it I would never not have it on my board.

• Members

I too presently own or have owned everything on that list and more, with exception to the supremely overhyped super delay. I have a delay problem...yeah i said it...but i know im not alone on this forum so...Its just to my ears the headrush is one of the best bang for the buck delay / loopers available. Its not just about price either its about performance and sound quality. I have sang the praises of this pedal over and over through the years...Mine is at least 8 years old...and it nevers fails to impress. sure i have bought others before and since but when it comes down to it I would never not have it on my board.

Without having played the Superdelay ... I'm going to call all kinds of bull{censored} on you saying it's overrated. This pedal does things that nothing else on the market does -- and flat out, it sounds brilliant doing them. Now, the Headrush might be great too, I can't say anything against it other than I haven't heard a lot about them... and it very well may be a better value than the SD being that it's produced on a larger scale and thus carries a lower pricetag -- but for what I'm getting out of this pedal, I'd say it's worth every penny and lives up to whatever hype there is. I'd go so far as to say that most people that have actually owned them will say the same thing.

• Members

Without having played the Superdelay ... I'm going to call all kinds of bull{censored} on you saying it's overrated. This pedal does things that nothing else on the market does -- and flat out, it sounds brilliant doing them. Now, the Headrush might be great too, I can't say anything against it other than I haven't heard a lot about them... and it very well may be a better value than the SD being that it's produced on a larger scale and thus carries a lower pricetag -- but for what I'm getting out of this pedal, I'd say it's worth every penny and lives up to whatever hype there is. I'd go so far as to say that most people that have
actually owned
them will say the same thing.

+1

If someone has played the superdelay and think it's not worth the money, that's cool. The pedal sure gets a lot of hype, but I imagine it would be pretty difficult to decide whether it lives up to it or not without actually playing the pedal.

Archived