RoboPimp's weekly boutique rant: What makes you so good?

RoboPimp

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see countless commuters every weekday driving their asses off making good time. They commute great, they have great mileage, blah blah. EVERY commuter I see, they ALL use "mass produced" vehicles. Chevy, Ford, Honda, Toyota, GM, Saturn, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan. I don't see a single "boutique" vehicle ANYWHERE! Somehow they get to work with this stuff and still get a killer drive.

Yet I see people here all the time "I couldn't get a good commute with Ford, then I got Porsche 911 and my commute was killer"

what makes you so "good" that you need a $250,000 vehicle to get to work?

• Members

Where do you draw the line at boutique, really? Is Fulltone boutique? Keeley? MI Audio? Visual Sound? All of them are pretty damn well-known and run large-scale operations, so.

I don't really think of any of those as Booteek.....?

Certainly not Visual Sound, Fulltone or Keeley. I'm out on MI. You can't find them as easily over here.

• Members

Seeing all my pretty blue, red, and green LEDs last night live was awesome. Had a fog machine going, they looked like searchlights.

What's wrong with that?

Yeah, tone is 90% guitar and amp. I like my flavoring, though.

Keeley is about as boutique as I get right now. I love my Rat, MXR Flanger and DMM.

• Members
I see countless working musicians every weekend playing their asses off making good music. They sound great, they have great tone, blah blah. EVERY band I see, they ALL use "mass produced" gear. Fender, Gibson, Squier, Epiphone, Ibanez, Boss, Digitech, Line 6, EHX. I don't see a single "boutique" pedal ANYWHERE! Somehow they get by with this stuff and still get killer tone.

I guess they don't need boutique to play tunes in a cover band. Boutique must be for original music bands. :)

• Members

I find myself liking the sound of most mainstream alternatives more so than their (often) 100-200$ more 'boutique' counterparts.

Boutique is pretty lame in my opinion. At what cost are we getting better 'tone'? It's pretty lame that we have to break the bank mor e often than not if we want killer 'tone'.

That's my take at least. I'm not 100 percent against them, but I can more often than not find suitable mainstream counterparts.

• Members

I also find it funny how people run in here claiming they're sick and tired of "booteek snobs" dissing Boss pedals, when we (boutiquers) aren't the ones making threads about how much someone else's pedal choices are unwise/stupid.

• Members

I see countless working musicians every weekend playing their asses off making good music. They sound great, they have great tone, blah blah. EVERY band I see, they ALL use "mass produced" gear. Fender, Gibson, Squier, Epiphone, Ibanez, Boss, Digitech, Line 6, EHX. I don't see a single "boutique" pedal ANYWHERE! Somehow they get by with this stuff and still get killer tone.

Yet I see people here all the time "I couldn't get a usable tone with XXX, then I got Magicman's boutique screeming tube ocverdrive and my tone was killer"

what makes you so "good" that you need a $300 dirt pedal to get your tone?

it's more how not good you are when you can't get a tone,couse it's in your head+fingers,not your feet

• Members
Skreddy Pedals' new ad campaign:

"What Makes You So Good?"

The latest rage....

"I'll get me some Skreddy's and I'll be good... Like these new pair of Jordan's are doing for me..."

:thu:

That's a great idea ;)

• Members

Well, like I have said before, whatever makes people happy is what they should buy. Besides, the term "boutique" gets thrown around so much it's lost all meaning for me. Some say it's this and some say it's that. Why can't we all just talk about pedals for what they are and not get into the ethics of how they're produced.

• Members

Well, like I have said before, whatever makes people happy is what they should buy. Besides, the term "boutique" gets thrown around so much it's lost all meaning for me. Some say it's this and some say it's that. Why can't we all just talk about pedals for what they are and not get into the ethics of how they're produced.

+100000

• Members

I also find it funny how people run in here claiming they're sick and tired of "booteek snobs" dissing Boss pedals, when we (boutiquers) aren't the ones making threads about how much someone else's pedal choices are unwise/stupid.

Good observation.

Sorry that every pedal manufacturer can't manufacture pedals for $3 a pop.

• Members

For me,the boutique stuff really just helps those of us who really love pedals add many many of them to our rig.Sure boss and digitech stuff sounds great,until you want a 17 pedal rig.If youre the type of person who then comes down on someone with 17 pedals,well,{censored} right off

• Members
Oh, God, Robo, get off your {censored}ing high horse. What do you care if someone uses x or y pedal.

{censored}ing troll.

I don't care what pedal someone uses...

it's the morons who say stupid {censored} like: "I've never gotten a boss pedal to sound good, I need boutique quality" that need pimp slapped.

yeah, not every boss pedal works for me either but it has nothing to do with some imaginary sonic or quality level that someone perceives is real because they overpaid some guy to take 6 months to build them a univibe clone.

Or the jackass who has no band but needs a $3000 strat clone because it "plays so incredibly" How come me and every other musician out there seems to be able to get by on a regular old strat without a problem?

the jackass tells himself "I am on a different level than these guys, I can detect and appreciate these subtle differences in a $3000 guitar, aren't I something" No, you're a jackass with a $3000 strat clone that has a decent fret job. :lol:

The easiest way to increase perception of quality of a product is to raise the price. You can take two identical objects and give one a really big price tag and people will give you a list of tangible things about it that are better than the other identical but cheaper item. Sure these far superior qualities might seem real to them but they don't exist.

• Members

I don't care what pedal someone uses...

it's the morons who say stupid {censored} like: "I've never gotten a boss pedal to sound good, I need boutique quality" that need pimp slapped.

yeah, not every boss pedal works for me either but it has nothing to do with some imaginary sonic or quality level that someone perceives is real because they overpaid some guy to take 6 months to build them a univibe clone.

Or the jackass who has no band but needs a $3000 strat clone because it "plays so incredibly" How come me and every other musician out there seems to be able to get by on a regular old strat without a problem?

the jackass tells himself "I am on a different level than these guys, I can detect and appreciate these subtle differences in a $3000 guitar, aren't I something" No, you're a jackass with a $3000 strat clone that has a decent fret job.
:lol:

The easiest way to increase perception of quality of a product is to raise the price. You can take two identical objects and give one a really big price tag and people will give you a list of tangible things about it that are better than the other identical but cheaper item. Sure these far superior qualities might seem real to them but they don't exist.

In summation: I don't care what other people use, BUT WHEN OTHER PEOPLE THINK THEY'RE GOOD ENOUGH TO USE OTHER STUFF THEN I HAVE A PROBLEM.

Are you kidding? By creating this thread and topic, you inherently care what other people use. You're berating them for playing more expensive gear because apparently it just doesn't matter. Anyone can get by with a little SS marshall half-stack and an SG. Who {censored}ing cares? Jesus Christ man, if someone thinks that the Foxrox Aquavibe sounds great, SO BE IT.

This thread is worthless.

Archived