RoboPimp's weekly boutique rant: What makes you so good?

RoboPimp

• Members

Good observation.

Sorry that every pedal manufacturer can't manufacture pedals for $3 a pop.

Right, I don't care if you want to spend $300 on a pedal so some douchebag can build them one at a time in his basement and have a 6 month waiting list but don't tell me the end product is any better because of it.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If the end product is a better sounding pedal, then the end product is a better pedal. It's the consumer, and only the consumer, that can tell. For my money, I've always found a better pedal than a Boss. And don't tell me for one {censored}ing second that I'm just a corksniffer or whatever. I've tried a hundred Boss pedals. They're mediocre. Some better than others, but I find that most of them are mediocre. I spend a little more money, and to my ears, I get a better pedal. If I want something super cheap that will do one thing, then yeah, a Boss pedal would work, but if I want a great sounding pedal, my experience tells me to go elsewhere.

Plain and simple.

Again, this thread is totally worthless. That's great that you created it to hammer home the point that you just hate people who want to buy expensive gear.

• Members

And you guys care wayyyy too much about this argument. Not to mention there seems to be a false dichotomy at play here: It's either "boutique and expensive" or Boss. Boss pedals are {censored}ing boring, but that doesn't mean there's all sorts of {censored} that sounds awesome and is in the same price range as boss stuff.

• Members

If the end product is a better sounding pedal, then the end product is a better pedal. It's the consumer, and only the consumer, that can tell. For my money, I've always found a better pedal than a Boss. And don't tell me for one {censored}ing second that I'm just a corksniffer or whatever. I've tried a hundred Boss pedals. They're mediocre. Some better than others, but I find that most of them are mediocre. I spend a little more money, and to my ears, I get a better pedal. If I want something super cheap that will do one thing, then yeah, a Boss pedal would work, but if I want a great sounding pedal, my experience tells me to go elsewhere.

that's all well and good but you talk as if Boss is the only non-boutique choice.

when there's a best sounding phaser thread how many times is the small stone mentioned?

This thread isn't just about Boss is it?

p.s. destructo has just proved I took too long to type that!

• Members

All of this is just a hobby. Kind of like stamp collecting, or something. I doubt there is a player here who couldn't actually get by with all boss pedals and come across just fine live. It's just they choose to tweak and find stuff that suits their hobby for tonez.

Yep. I'm done (for now :poke:) pedal collecting, but it ultimately is still just a hobby next to the actual playing of the guitar. As I've posted before, I could definitely get away with nothing but a pedal tuner, guitar and amp. Honestly, if I was forced into it, I wouldn't mind having zero effects (I'd need a tuner though, because my ear is miserable for tuning). Having the stuff I have is just fun, motivates me to play more to find out new things via experimentation. Yes, I could get away with just red, blue and yellow crayons in my box, but I like having indian red, mac n' cheese, robin's egg blue, seaweed and "flesh."

• Members

I don't know why this question still, after all these years, still gets asked.

People are going to do what they want to do. Sure, a lot of musicians buy boutique stuff to brag and show off to others (and themselves when they look at it) but some people actually hear a difference. Who really gives a {censored}!?!?!?

I love my OCD. It was worth every penny. Anybody out there could argue that it sounds no better than a DS-1 to their ears, but I disagree. That's why I bought it. Because I like it. This question does nothing but piss people off and gets nowhere.

• Members

People are going to do what they want to do. Sure, a lot of musicians buy boutique stuff to brag and show off to others (and themselves when they look at it) but some people actually hear a difference. Who really gives a {censored}!?!?!?

I love my OCD. It was worth every penny. Anybody out there could argue that it sounds no better than a DS-1 to their ears, but I disagree. That's why I bought it. Because I like it. This question does nothing but piss people off and gets nowhere.

Dude, I really wish you would put the Blazing Saddles thing into full gear. Become Hedley Lamarr.

• Members

OK- I have a quiz for you anti-boutique ranters:

1. Which "non-boutique" or mass produced fuzz pedal provides me with the twenty-four sound options of my "boutique" diceworks muff diver Finale pedal? Is it a Boss? DOD? which fuzz pedal does that?

A: NONE

2. Which "mass produced" and non-boutique compact pedal provides an authentic sounding Leslie rotating speaker sound as well asmy destination rotation pedals?

A:NONE - call on your phasers, univibes, and choruses all you want- If they work for you, GREAT! But they don't sound right to me -and the BOSS RT idea sounds bad to me too-

3. Which mass produced overdrive can I buy for less than 95.00 that offers me all the clipping and boost options of the SRB808+ ? This thing is 95.00! Hardly expensive, even for a TS-9 clone, It's hard to find a damn TS-9 for that cheap NEW, leave alone with OP amp options, symetrical / asymetrical clipping options and boost/eq options. So- which one?

My point is that sometimes you want boutique because it does what it does better than anything else...and often cheaper than mass produced- It's not all about corksniffery, egos, or small cocks.

• Members

There is no such thing as "good tone," as separated from music, so an SD-1 has a sound equally valid as the Openhaus.

So you're telling me you've never heard a player who had good tone but wrote {censored}ty music? I have. And I've heard a ton of players that wrote great stuff but used some horrible sounding OD and it ruined the whole song for me.

• Members

:thu:

• Members

A lot of people get obsessed with gear because they don't have the initiative to practice. They're really into guitar but it's more about the gear than it is the playing. I know that seems to really offend a lot of people but it's definitely true.

There is another group of gearheads who are too swamped with work, kids, or whatever to keep up playing regularly. It's easier to obsess over gear than it is to find an hour or two of peace to practice.

A big portion of 'working' musicians are more into the playing aspect of guitar than gear. You'll still see people with nice stuff but you don't get these people that buy an amp and flip it two weeks later or the guys with 30 guitars of every brand and shape. It's more of a situation where they find what works and stick with it.

Obviously there are {censored} tons of exceptions to all of this

• Members

This thread should be retitled, "Spend your coveted Sunday arguing with RoboTroll over something he often rants about that is utterly pointless."

I don't know why he has such a hard on about what people spend their money on or why he cares what gear people are playing. :idk:

I don't know why the {censored} Phil allows him to stay here despite Robo's years of being an ass here at HC. :idk:

• Members
This thread should be retitled, "Spend your coveted Sunday arguing with RoboTroll over something he often rants about that is utterly pointless."

I don't know why he has such a hard on about what people spend their money on or why he cares what gear people are playing.
:idk:

I don't know why the {censored} Phil allows him to stay here despite Robo's years of being an ass here at HC.
:idk:

Big +1 from here, buddy.

Archived