VERY OT: Chas SuperThread ( or "I'm not the one or the ones posting as ...")

ChasIII

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hello. This is a new song im working on. My voice is on it.

He's like the wind ... through my knees.

He waves the wand ... magically ...

He's a little unbalanced ... butt baby, he don't have a gun

He'll smother with covers ... Dutch oven has only beguuunnnnnnnn ......... !!!

Actually ... I kind of like it ... sort of like Flock of Seagulls ('Listen' era) meets Depeche Mode (? era) ...

This is a much better outlet for your energy ... also, don't take breaks!

• Members

You can't hear it?? Hm.... maybe it's just my system, but it sounds pretty overdriven to me.

Yeah, a bit. I need to mix that also. I'm actually a bit affraid to move to the mixing process for some of my almost finished songs. I think the bass is a bit loud.

• Members

I just looked at the pre mix on the demo in the graph and it does look very loud. This is probably what is doing the distortion if not without clipping.

I really need to get an audio app like Soundforge or something else to make things easier. You guys know that free linux/windows version? the name of it?

• Members

Yeah, a bit. I need to mix that also. I'm actually a bit affraid to move to the mixing process for some of my almost finished songs. I think the bass is a bit loud.

That's where you can fix the bass. It isn't unusual to have to roll off some of the bass volume and EQ in a mix. It depends on the song, of course, but most of the time I want my bass no higher than about -6 db. The drums usually fit right in around there as well. And it took me a long time to learn that you can acutally make a mix sound better by cutting rather than adding EQ.

Your perception of bass will also be influenced by your monitors. If you have monitors with a 5" or smaller woofer, then you're not going to get a true picture of how much bass is actually there (unless you have a subwoofer). Woofers with an 8.5" diameter are generally better in giving you a more balanced bass image.

• Members

That's where you can fix the bass. It isn't unusual to have to roll off some of the bass volume and EQ in a mix. It depends on the song, of course, but most of the time I want my bass no higher than about -6 db. The drums usually fit right in around there as well. And it took me a long time to learn that you can acutally make a mix sound better by
cutting
rather than
adding
EQ.

Your perception of bass will also be influenced by your monitors. If you have monitors with a 5" or smaller woofer, then you're not going to get a true picture of how much bass is actually there (unless you have a subwoofer). Woofers with an 8.5" diameter are generally better in giving you a more balanced bass image.

Thanks for the info. I do not have monitor speakers but I just got some good monitor Headphones that i will use to mix. I'm gonna read some background info on mixing before I even attempt to start mixing. I also need to read my Sonar 3 book on how to use a few things I have not used yet.

• Members

That's why your mixes are heavy in the low end. Invest in a good set of monitors as soon as you can. Headphones are okay to check things every now and then, but they downplay the bass that is really there. I've made that mistake and added waaay too much bass because I couldn't hear it in the cans.

Headphones also give a false sense of effects, such as reverb and flange, because the effects sound "closer," so you boost the effect.

Bruce Bartlett's Practical Recording Techniques is an excellent guide for any level. The CD is full of examples - a useful learning tool.

• Members

That's why your mixes are heavy in the low end. Invest in a good set of monitors as soon as you can. Headphones are okay to check things every now and then, but they downplay the bass that is really there. I've made that mistake and added waaay too much bass because I couldn't hear it in the cans.

Headphones also give a false sense of effects, such as reverb and flange, because the effects sound "closer," so you boost the effect.

Bruce Bartlett's
Practical Recording Techniques
is an excellent guide for any level. The CD is full of examples - a useful learning tool.

palejosey2xn9.jpg

not a good photo ... I've been meaning to take this for practically months now ... somebody's got the pale rider (I don't think it's Mr. Wales) in their window ... Of course, as I'm trying to manually focus the camera, the owner pulls up in a big truck ... "You like my picture?"

• Members

Yeah, and I dislike some things about its interface, but it's good in terms of features.

I want to pick up Wavelab Essential; I've got Lite and I'd really prefer Sound Forge, but the price's a bit too high.

I forgot I have Wavelab Essential also. I got it with my Emu 0404. You have an Emu interface also right? Came bundled?

• Members

not a good photo ... I've been meaning to take this for practically months now ... somebody's got the pale rider (I don't think it's Mr. Wales) in their window ... Of course, as I'm trying to manually focus the camera, the owner pulls up in a big truck ... "You like my picture?"

D, I added you to my fav artist/band list in soundclick. Just wanted to let you know. Cool.:thu:

I have 4 songs and I rule!:thu:

Archived