why john mayer is good for guitar

chisa

• Members

I don't get why some people think bubble gum poppy stuff can't be good. Everyone's always complaining about how mainstream music lacks talent and here comes John Mayer who clearly shows he has talent yet still gets shot down by critics who can do nothing more than say he's unoriginal.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i used to hate on john mayer after that terrible first record of his. then i saw him sit in with buddy guy. when buddy guy brought him out, i was like "he's gotta be kidding me...." but i was impressed, much to my own dismay. the guy held it down. i left saying, "oh no.... i think i might actually like john mayer." then i actually got to do a session with him. what a great guy. honestly, the kid just wants to play a guitar. end of story. if he's playing that guitar, he's happy, nothing else matters. really sincere player. and i get it. that first record was a foot in the door. and what a great idea. most guys i know play the music they want to play first and eventually throw in the towel and make the poppy stuff so they can make a living. mayer did it the other way around. and now he gets to play what he wants. kudos, sir.

• Members

:lol:

you tell good ones! Hey i got one!

Santa Claus, a pigmy, and Donald Trump walk in a bar, and the bartender says "What is this? Some sort of joke?"

The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby FTW. U2 actually made some innovative music, especially for a "pop" band, not just some lame SRV retread for 45 year old blooze doods and their boutique amps.

GAME OVER.

• Members

The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby FTW. U2 actually made some innovative music, especially for a "pop" band, not just some lame SRV retread for 45 year old blooze doods and their boutique amps.

GAME OVER.

edge vs jm... since effects arent interchangeable with talent, prolly not edge...

so stop saying ftw and game over... its not a game and you havent won {censored}...

• Members

Sure I'll take APC over John Mayer anyday...

John Mayer's mister pop song right? Well ABBA's one of the biggest Pop Band ever...Believe me JM would give his right nut to have hits as big as ABBA..

Yeah I have to be in the right mood for APC or ABBA..but there is a time and place for it...

Hey it's over 400 bands listed...Not all are A+

IMHO I'd take any over JM...that's me...

I'm just having fun guys! It's really not a big deal...

Hey that's cool.. it's better to like him than say Nelly or Fall Out Boy...but his stuff is not that far off...

So much good music out there to listen to that's better...about 40+ years of it...

I bet 90% of the people that like blues guitar stuff that JM is doing don't have an album like Jimi Hendrix "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" A freaking killer CD! Hendrix at his best...but people have and listen to some JM cd...and haven't heard stuff like that. Or any John Mayall or Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac...

I just don't get it... They are Blues gods that have proving to have written timeless music...why waste your time listening to Jm when you've never heard the timeless magical stuff? The stuff that JM prolly listens to...

Stuff Like Derek and the Dominoes live at fillmore...{censored}...once you hear that how could you ever listen to Jm again??
;)
People say he is opening doors to the blues...so then are you walking through that door?

you know what... you are right... all the good albums were made 40 years ago... we should just quit writing new stuff and sit around listening to the classics....

see how stupid you sound? clapton played with jm and pretty much had his ass shown up at crossroads... he respects him... he has the approval of the blues gods as you say... i do listen to the classics/legends, but im not uneducated enough to believe thats all that matters...

• Members

+1

-1 squillion...

look man just because he's white doesn't mean you have to relate. Mayer blows, he takes dicks in the ass, what he feels is your girlfriend's ass and what he takes is money from dumb {censored}in {censored}s. That's it. I don't want to read another fake endorsement about him. If you can't do what he does on guitar you should quit, and if you want to... well they're hiring at Guitar Center. It's time to realize your limits. For those that admire him, I'm realizing yours.

• Members

you know what... you are right... all the good albums were made 40 years ago... we should just quit writing new stuff and sit around listening to the classics....

see how stupid you sound? clapton played with jm and pretty much had his ass shown up at crossroads... he respects him... he has the approval of the blues gods as you say... i do listen to the classics/legends, but im not uneducated enough to believe thats all that matters...

the fact that you are actually stating Clapton as an authority in anything is hilarious. Clapton... white...check. plays guitar... check. Plays guitar well... uhh

picky about who he collaborates w/.... he played w/ Sheryl Crow and I'm pretty sure if you asked him then he would have nothing but niceties to say. Harsh critic... not really, great father... {censored}, nevermind.

Yeah you're right we should discard the hundreds of years of music made before MAYER... because Clapton in an unusual gesture of fattening his pocket didn't have anything bad to say about him.

• Members

are you kidding me???

the guy can write a pop tune in his sleep. i really don't know of another current songwriter that's better than him.

I think you should send your ears back to God and demand a refund. At the same time, burn most of your record collection and start buying some decent modern records.

• Members

I like Mayer. His latest DVD is a great watch. He also has great chops and tone. Yeh, his earlier stuff was a little too teenage, but Continuum is a great album, and he definitely writes stellar pop tunes. Also, his acoustic playing on Where The Light Is is immense.

• Members

Romantic?!? Christ, that Body/Wonderland effort sounds like it was written by a man who lives alone in a basement and spends his time wanking over female news broadcasters, talking to his pet rats and spying on his neighbours through the miniature cameras he installed in their shower units :)

He can play guitar. No doubt about it. but it's like watching a actor with real ability starring in idiot films. He never pushes the envelope out. He appeals to the chicks because he's pretty and he gets the trad guitar fans happy because he plays the old faithful licks that you can hear in any blues joint.

• Members
the fact that you are actually stating Clapton as an authority in anything is hilarious. Clapton... white...check. plays guitar... check. Plays guitar well... uhh

picky about who he collaborates w/.... he played w/ Sheryl Crow and I'm pretty sure if you asked him then he would have nothing but niceties to say. Harsh critic... not really, great father... {censored}, nevermind.

Yeah you're right we should discard the hundreds of years of music made before MAYER... because Clapton in an unusual gesture of fattening his pocket didn't have anything bad to say about him.

What? What point are you arguing? :confused: I never said to discard the hundreds of years before Clapton... Personally im not a clapton fan... The person i was responding to had used clapton as a source... i was saying that all music should be looked at as important... So unless you want to go back and read the thread to find out what the disagreement is over, please keep your pointless ramblings to yourself... you are kind of making yourself look silly:wave:

• Members
This proves it. You probably haven't listened to an ounce of Mayer.

I've listened to plenty of Mayer. See, I go on this really clever policy with music of actually listening to it before I slate or rate it. I also listen to some {censored}ing great pop music and therefore come to the conclusion that a man who does crappy acoustic ballads with a bit of blues riffery isn't very good.

Then again, how can I argue with a man who thinks it's worth paying $280 for two tickets to a Mayer show? :wave:

Archived