How long did melx get teh ban for?

rdm

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lucky, my grandfather constantly told me racial innapropriate jokes growing up. He's white.

If you don't think black people tell racially inappropriate white jokes, you've got another thing coming. I know first hand, and some of them are VERY funny, some are :facepalm:

Until n word goes away as "evil" and everyone can tell inappropriate jokes and laugh at themselves - there will always be racism. When kids realize that they are not very different from eachother that's it. They can't do that with different standards for different people.

Being abusive is being abusive, no matter what words are used.

Ok, I'm done on my soapbox. :wave:

• Members

haven't you heard there's no such thing as racism. Seriously though the only people ive met that are seriously racist are black people

it's funny you say that coming from Tallahassee. Probably the most racially balanced place I've lived.

A little anecdote: Back when I lived there, there was some guy who was bombing FAMU's campus (or threatening to bomb it, I forget). It was a deal that went on for awhile. Everyone thought it was a white racist guy (and it might have been. I remember that they eventually caught him, but I can't remember the details). At the time I was starting a job at the Florida Supreme Court building. I came in my first day, and when I went through the door, they had me empty my pockets, and I had a little pocket knife on my keychain (I used it for film sets and had forgotten to take it off). The security guard (an older African American fellow) went nuts on me, and gave me this big lecture about how they had to watch out for us white folks, because we just bottle things up and explode with crazy bombing plans and {censored} (this was also soon after they caught the Unabomber and Timothy McVeigh). He told me that I needed to learn to party better like black folk, so I wouldn't go crazy on everybody down the road. It was one of the strangest lectures I've ever received.

...but to your point about racists, I've met all types. Black People, White people...lots of people are afraid of different cultures. I've actually met alot of racists from Europe, too, so it seems like it's a problem everywhere.

• Members

it's funny you say that coming from Tallahassee. Probably the most racially balanced place I've lived.

A little anecdote: Back when I lived there, there was some guy who was bombing FAMU's campus (or threatening to bomb it, I forget). It was a deal that went on for awhile. Everyone thought it was a white racist guy (and it might have been. I remember that they eventually caught him, but I can't remember the details). At the time I was starting a job at the Florida Supreme Court building. I came in my first day, and when I went through the door, they had me empty my pockets, and I had a little pocket knife on my keychain (I used it for film sets and had forgotten to take it off). The security guard (an older African American fellow) went nuts on me, and gave me this big lecture about how they had to watch out for us white folks, because we just bottle things up and explode with crazy bombing plans and {censored} (this was also soon after they caught the Unabomber and Timothy McVeigh). He told me that I needed to learn to party better like black folk, so I wouldn't go crazy on everybody down the road. It was one of the strangest lectures I've ever received.

...but to your point about racists, I've met all types. Black People, White people...lots of people are afraid of different cultures. I've actually met alot of racists from Europe, too, so it seems like it's a problem everywhere.

People tend to hate what they don't understand.....kinda like my Line6 POD. Many haters around here with the whole multi-fx thing because they just don't understand how to use it. Same thing with people of different cultural backgrounds and religious beliefs.

We as humans want to hate others for 1) not sharing our same views and 2) believing in something or coming from a background we have no knowledge of.

Granted, some stereotypes exist for a reason....but just because some dude said he was a Christ follower and went and started some crazy cult doesn't mean all Christ followers are like that. Same thing for white people. Just because there's white people in the KKK doesn't mean all white people share those same views.

• Members

People tend to hate what they don't understand.....kinda like my Line6 POD. Many haters around here with the whole multi-fx thing because they just don't understand how to use it. Same thing with people of different cultural backgrounds and religious beliefs.

We as humans want to hate others for 1) not sharing our same views and 2) believing in something or coming from a background we have no knowledge of.

Granted, some stereotypes exist for a reason....but just because some dude said he was a Christ follower and went and started some crazy cult doesn't mean all Christ followers are like that. Same thing for white people. Just because there's white people in the KKK doesn't mean all white people share those same views.

Amen to that.

• Members

one time I was DJing and decided to put some Tim Buckley on that I never listened to before

one of the first lines in the song was "my cold black n------"

:facepalm:

I was so scared that someone was going to call up all pissed or worse call the FCC. And someone was said "chill dude, he didn't say it in a hateful way."

the "banned no matter what circumstances" policy is a little odd to me, considering there isn't a similar one in place for uses of the term's "fag", "faggot" or "that's gay", which I see get thrown around here.

Those words can be just as offensive to gays as the N word can be to blacks, but can also be used in a non-derogatory manner just like the N word, so why are those words permitted?

• Members

line6-ism

• Members

one time I was DJing and decided to put some Tim Buckley on that I never listened to before

one of the first lines in the song was "my cold black n------"

:facepalm:

I was so scared that someone was going to call up all pissed or worse call the FCC. And someone was said "chill dude, he didn't say it in a hateful way."

the "banned no matter what circumstances" policy is a little odd to me, considering there isn't a similar one in place for uses of the term's "fag", "faggot" or "that's gay", which I see get thrown around here.

Those words can be just as offensive to gays as the N word can be to blacks, but can also be used in a non-derogatory manner just like the N word, so why are those words permitted?

Well, it's the same as the use of "retard", also highly offensive. We've got one word and its variants that we can't use. I'm not a big fan of banning speech at all, so I'm not in favor of adding to the "immediately-bannable words" list. That said, melx knew the rules.

• Members

I keep thinking about this topic, and it IS pretty funny how words like retard and gay have both good an bad meanings and are pretty acceptable to use in today's language. The N word though has no positive flip-side.

• Members

I was surprised how bent out of shape a couple of folks were about it.

Just to reiterate...I have nothing against the French.
:thu:

I'm a bit conditioned to getting bent out of shape. I've seen "Freedom Fries" on menus at local restaurants, I've heard all the comments about how "the French forgot who saved their asses in WWII," and all that BS. I react the same way when I am in France and hear a native Francoise make a joke about "fat-ass Americans," or "slant-eyed Chinese." Cultural generalizations don't sit well with me.

I'm glad you have nothing against the French.

• Members

it's bull{censored} melx got banned

no one else got banned did they? Everyone was bashing french, and other races, but as soon as that one word is used. The banhammer is laid down. Yes the N-word is bad, but he was using it as an example of how anyone can bash any race but as soon as that one word comes into it, its a different story.

Archived