How long did melx get teh ban for?

rdm

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's never allowed on HC, under any circumstances. Period.

It matters not what race the poster of the word is. People don't "know" that information (and it doesn't / shouldn't matter anyway...)

It's a hateful term with a lot of negative history and emotions that go along with it, and it has no place on this forum. Ever.

Bah. Does that mean I can't say the word 'Catholic' now? Plenty of negative history and emotions conencted there...

If the forum has a 'no N word' rule then I'll respect it but also make it clear that I find it lacking. There are plenty of other insults out there being used casually with just as much historical and present day negativity to them with absolutely zero connection to black people. After all, it was the rise of Christianity that saw same-sex unions be deemed illegal and wrong, and that's when the persecution began.

Some of the casual sexism thrown about in the Amp forum comes to mind. I fail to see why someone can be banned for a word that can be insulting to a particular ethnicity yet the sexism is allowed and that can easily be insulting to an entire gender. I fail to see why the n word can be singled out yet 'gay' can be used casually when describing something {censored}ty and that doesn't warrant the ban coming out.

• Members

I keep thinking about this topic, and it IS pretty funny how words like retard and gay have both good an bad meanings and are pretty acceptable to use in today's language. The N word though has no positive flip-side.

there's no positive connotation for eother of those words, they can either be very hurtful words or be mildly hurtful words.

If you say "that's gay" or "that's retarded" it still isn't postive.

If you say "you my N*&$#^"

that's positive

• Members

there's no positive connotation for eother of those words, they can either be very hurtful words or be mildly hurtful words.

If you say "that's gay" or "that's retarded" it still isn't postive.

that's positive

Gay means jovial/happy. Retard also has to do with setting the timing of your engine and you can also retard ends of songs. Those were the alternate meanings I was refering to.

• Members

Here's something ridiculous - in my work we're apparently not allowed to say "black bin bags" anymore. We have to call them waste bags now........ We also have "yellow bin bags" and I have no idea what they're going to do about that one.

If anyone expected me to stop using the name of a colour for some bizarre politically correct nonsense (that I fully expect the vast majority of black people would find grossly offensive "in their name"), they could {censored} off as far as I'm concerned. Work included.

When Martin Luther King was campaigning for equal rights, I'm pretty sure he wasn't hoping for a ban on the word of his colour.

• Members

You know, I think banning for that and not banning for other derogatory terms is inconsistent, but banning for all derogatory terms is probably untenable from a moderation perspective.

All you have to do is not use one particular word on one particular internet forum. Why the {censored} is there a controversy thread every time this happens?

• Members

that's positive

I remember when this argument first started going around.

It was wrong and stupid then, and it's wrong and stupid now.

It's not a different word. It's a different pronunciation resulting from dialect.

• Members

I remember when this argument first started going around.

It was wrong and stupid then, and it's wrong and stupid now.

It's not a different word. It's a different pronunciation resulting from dialect.

How is it wrong and stupid for black people to reappropriate a hateful word and turn it into a positive friendly word?

This isn't a black and white issue. (no pun intended)

It isn't a wrong word 100% of the time no matter how you use it.

• Members

How is it wrong and stupid for black people to reappropriate a hateful word and turn it into a positive friendly word?

No matter how much or how hard they try, that word will never be able to be used positively. Especially when black use it as an insult to other black people as well.

IMO.

Besides... is it really that much harder to say "brotha" instead

• Members

No matter how much or how hard they try, that word will never be able to be used positively.

IMO.

Then why do blacks feel the need to say it everyother word and yell to their buddies half way across the room?

It's like the words only bad if it comes out of someones mouth who isnt black. No one, even other black people dont get upset when other black people say it.

Just somethingz to think about.

• Members

It's never allowed on HC, under any circumstances. Period.

It matters not what race the poster of the word is. People don't "know" that information (and it doesn't / shouldn't matter anyway...)

It's a hateful term with a lot of negative history and emotions that go along with it, and it has no place on this forum. Ever.

+1.

The term, historically speaking, is of a more vicious type of hatred.

Archived