curious: technical indie rock guitarists

wonkydog

• Members

I was just listening to Minus the Bear and I was thinking, what guitarists in indie rock land are considered to have really good chops? MTB's tapping is great. I'm curious as to what other indie rock guitarists are really technical. While there are many indie rock players who are more than competent, I feel like there aren't many of them who have insane technique (this is of course not criticism- you absolutely do not need technique to write great songs).

Here are a few that come to mind. I would love to hear more.

Dave Knudson- Minus the Bear

Mike Banfield- Don Caballero

Ian Williams- Don Cab/Storm and Stress/Battles

guitarists from The {censored}ing Champs

J. Mascis- Dinosaur Jr.

• Members

It's probably some kind of contradiction in terms. Most Indie musicians realize that songwriting trumps technical ability, and any "shreding" usually goes against good songwriting.

However, Jeff Buckley was an amazing guitarist that could eat most "technical" guitarists for lunch - if he wanted to.

• Members

I was just listening to Minus the Bear and I was thinking, what guitarists in indie rock land are considered to have really good chops? MTB's tapping is great. I'm curious as to what other indie rock guitarists are really technical. While there are many indie rock players who are more than competent, I feel like there aren't many of them who have insane technique (this is of course not criticism- you absolutely do not need technique to write great songs).

Here are a few that come to mind. I would love to hear more.

Dave Knudson- Minus the Bear

Mike Banfield- Don Caballero

Ian Williams- Don Cab/Storm and Stress/Battles

guitarists from The {censored}ing Champs

J. Mascis- Dinosaur Jr.

You should listen to Thee Speaking Canaries, Damon Che of Don Cab's side project in which he sings and plays guitar. Really good stuff. Damon's just as an amazing guitarist as he is a drummer (and better than either Banfield or Williams IMO) while having quite a knack for pop.

The guy from Hella is pretty proficient, just listen to the song "Biblical Violence" off "Hold Your Horses"

And while they don't really tap or do any of that super complicated stuff, I find Mackaye and Picciotto of Fugazi to be amazing guitarists in my book.

Also David Pajo from Slint.

Matt Sweeney from Chavez.

Ash Bowie from Polvo

• Members

it's music i listen to, guitar is just a part of it. but i'll bite anyway.

john dieterich of deerhoof

one of the most refreshing guitar players out there imo. deerhoof rocks. they're f$%king genius.

[YOUTUBE]EwUc2c-jIYk[/YOUTUBE]

However, Jeff Buckley was an amazing guitarist that could eat most "technical" guitarists for lunch - if he wanted to.

and this is so true. amazing player, songwriter and singer.

Archived