This documentary I'm in (noise/experimental "music" content)

greaseenvelope

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Had a great show in my house last night. 6 acts (3 touring). About 25-30 people (enough to completely fill my house) showed up. I don't know what they got from donations but it would definitely have been less had they played a legit club. And my request that people bring them beer was heeded by many. The dude from Baltimore (Max Einsenburg) had a killer little Blacet modular and his pieces combined sounds from that and cartoonish sample loops from an sp404. All the acts had recognizable aspects of rhythm/melody but they were for the most part lost in a fractured haze. One (my least favorite, actually) could even be described as "free techno". See this tour*.

The last band of the night, local "supergroup" {censored}ty Vibe Smasher, could be described as a gritty take on Berlin school atmospherics (no sequencers.. just drifting tones/layers a la Zeit/Atem). Those guys are great improvisers.

Since this is, sadly, the most successful thread I've ever posted here, I think I'm just going to use it to promote my own and others noisy activities. :idea:

Thanks guys. :wave:

*12/1- Oakland@ Heco's w/ Pigz N Tha Ground, Tullan Velte, TBA

12/2- Bay Area- bus show w/ TBA

12/3- LA @ Pehrspace w/ Human Hands

12/4- LA @ DING-A-LING (no tusco)... w/ Dave Scott Stone

• Members
:wave:

I have had a good time here.

The hoola-hoop competition went alright, we came in fourth. But the guys from Asia were really good. :cry:

SUPER THREAD FOR SUPER PEOPLE!

retarded.jpg

P.S. I watched clips of some noise stuff at the Red Room in Brawltimore. I no longer question the sincerity of the fans being "into it". However, I did notice that many of them sat politely and watched like they were watching a piece of theatre. I'm venturing to guess that WATCHING the performance is a part of enjoying the sound. Another point for performance art, I think.

My jury is still out. Also, I could count a rhythm for a lot of it. :idk:

• Members

Also, I could count a rhythm for a lot of it.
:idk:

I was just thinking that you could both hear and see the rhythm in a very obvious way in a typical noise performance if you sped up the video. Performers usually have a kinesthetic pattern of some sort, however subconscious it may be to them.

• Members
I was just thinking that you could both hear and see the rhythm in a very obvious way in a typical noise performance if you sped up the video. Performers usually have a kinesthetic pattern of some sort, however subconscious it may be to them.

Yah. I've noticed that.

I couldn't "get down" to any of it, but there was inherent organization. There were time signatures. :idk:

And although the "tones" played overtop of those rhythms were frequently dissonant, they were tonal.

I'm not ready to abandon my definition, but a lot of this stuff fits WITHIN it.

Archived