This documentary I'm in (noise/experimental "music" content)

greaseenvelope

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, ok, my two cents, IMO of course:

Music is not sound, because these are two different words.

Music has nothing to do with whether it is composed or not. Folk music is not composed (calculated).

I tend to think of music, on a rainy day, as sound with organized pitch, whether tonal or not, whether Western scaled or not, whether random or not (because the tribe/improviser/composer has organized the randomity). Music = Sound with organized pitch. Now, as far as the broader organized sound goes . . .

For that, I like the terms "sound sculpture" and "sound architecture". IMO sound sculpture is an art like any other. To me, a lot of rap is sound sculpture, because the primary interest is poetry, sound and rhythm, whereas African music is music because the primary focus is pitch and rhythm. A lot of 20th and 21st century classical and electronic music, including much of Cage and Subotnick, is really sound architecture, as are a lot of noise and ambient artists.

Noise and ambient artists and sound sculpture in general is a pretty recent musical development in western music. Up through the 19th century, organized pitch was king. It was the advent of recording technology and electronic sound that really got the idea of organizing sound itself off the ground. This was a big leap forward, and an abstraction of music. Ambient and noise artists have an honorable tradition that goes back to Pierre Schaefer and his musique concrete, organized recorded sound. And Varese delighted in blurring the lines between music and sound architecture, particularly in his Poem Electronique. This was more an artistic installation, complete with multiple speakers, more an environment, than a "concert". Stockhausen and Cage created their own ambient and electronic installations with recorded sound, tapes which featured (relatively primitive) electronic instruments. But today's electronic machines/instruments are far more easily manipulated, hence noise artists tend to perform live rather than mount installations.

Finally, it's ok if that girl does noise music because she can't play the guitar. She does what she can do, which is the aesthetic of humble but imperishable folk music. Folks working on chain gangs did what they could do, sans guitars, and it's great music. When Will Rogers was asked, "Why do you call it folk music?" he answered, "Because I ain't never heard no hoss sing it". So leave her be. :)

Just my opinion . . . :)

• Members

How is teh 495? Do you like 270?

I'm originally from Frederick. My dad's office is right off of Clopper road (the taller building in the shopping center with the Chevy's and the Circuit City).

:wave:

Growing up in Frederick, I was able to utilize 270S to get to DC in an hour or 70E to get to Baltimore in an hour.

Did you know that?

Do you like 355?

• Members

Oh, ok, my two cents, IMO of course:

Music is not sound, because these are two different words.

Music has nothing to do with whether it is composed or not. Folk music is not composed (calculated).

I tend to think of music, on a rainy day, as sound with organized pitch, whether tonal or not, whether Western scaled or not, whether random or not (because the tribe/improviser/composer has organized the randomity). Music = Sound with organized pitch. Now, as far as the broader organized
sound
goes . . .

For that, I like the terms "sound sculpture" and "sound architecture". IMO sound sculpture is an art like any other. To me, a lot of rap is sound sculpture, because the primary interest is poetry, sound and rhythm, whereas African music is music because the primary focus is pitch and rhythm. A lot of 20th and 21st century classical and electronic music, including much of Cage and Subotnick, is really sound architecture, as are a lot of noise and ambient artists.

Noise and ambient artists and sound sculpture in general is a pretty recent musical development in western music. Up through the 19th century, organized pitch was king. It was the advent of recording technology and electronic sound that really got the idea of organizing sound itself off the ground. This was a big leap forward, and an abstraction of music. Ambient and noise artists have an honorable tradition that goes back to Pierre Schaefer and his
musique concrete
, organized recorded sound. And Varese delighted in blurring the lines between music and sound architecture, particularly in his
Poem Electronique.
This was more an artistic installation, complete with multiple speakers, more an environment, than a "concert". Stockhausen and Cage created their own ambient and electronic installations with recorded sound, tapes which featured (relatively primitive) electronic instruments. But today's electronic machines/instruments are far more easily manipulated, hence noise artists tend to perform live rather than mount installations.

Finally, it's ok if that girl does noise music because she can't play the guitar. She does what she can do, which is the aesthetic of humble but imperishable folk music. Folks working on chain gangs did what they could do, sans guitars, and it's great music. When Will Rogers was asked, "Why do you call it folk music?" he answered, "Because I ain't never heard no hoss sing it". So leave her be.
:)

Just my opinion . . .
:)

So, any pre 20th percussion pieces, or traditional folk percussion, etc, is not music? Sorry for the arrogance, but this isn't a matter of opinion..... but it's fun to watch this thread degenerate into the usual stupid pictures, long quotes, dumb jokes, and other bull{censored} that's so typical here. There's no problem with thinking about some forms of music as 'sound scultpure', but it is still a sub category of music that you find helpful...and by the way you talk above, it really does seem like you still consider it to be music, but just use that description.

• Members
How is teh 495? Do you like 270?

I'm originally from Frederick. My dad's office is right off of Clopper road (the taller building in the shopping center with the Chevy's and the Circuit City).

Growing up in Frederick, I was able to utilize 270S to get to DC in an hour or 70E to get to Baltimore in an hour.

Did you know that?

Do you like 355?

Hello.

I like roads.

I like roads with snails.

Thoughts? Opinions? Feelings?

Thanks.

• Members

Wikipedia has a nice 'definition' - it recognizes that different people, cultures may define it differently - but, to add to that - if you don't want to be parochial, you recognize this, and are inclusive (which pretty much brings us to all manipulated sound that is experienced AS music.

"Music is an art form consisting of sound and silence. Elements of sound in music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, structure, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture.

The creation, performance, significance, and even the definition of music vary according to culture and social context. Music ranges from strictly organized compositions (and their recreation in performance), through improvisational music to aleatoric forms. Music can be divided into genres and sub-genres, although the dividing lines and relationships between music genres are often subtle, sometimes open to individual interpretation, and occasionally controversial. Within "the arts", music can be classified as a performing art, a fine art, or an auditory art form.

Music may also involve generative forms in time through the construction of patterns and combinations of natural stimuli, principally sound. Music may be used for artistic or aesthetic, communicative, entertainment, ceremonial or religious purposes, and by many composers purely as an academic instrument for study."

Archived