T/O conspiracy theory?

jorhay1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, this is speculation based on...

1. Someone from Danelectro posted on HCFX forums that the TOD vs TIMMY deal was getting looked into. Other sources from Danelectro said changes would be made if it was indeed found to be a copy, and they would do it as quickly as possible.
2. The Transparent Overdrives were temporarily discontinued, and apparentaly, orders were recalled from several sites.
3. They are now selling them again.

Fishy300-2.jpg

• Members
Well, this is speculation based on...

1. Someone from Danelectro posted on HCFX forums that the TOD vs TIMMY deal was getting looked into. Other sources from Danelectro said changes would be made if it was indeed found to be a copy, and they would do it as quickly as possible.

2. The Transparent Overdrives were temporarily discontinued, and apparentaly, orders were recalled from several sites.

3. They are now selling them again.

Fishy300-2.jpg

Really good marketing strategy. :)

• Members
I would guess that after the word spread that they were Timmy clones there was a rush on them and what little stock these places had sold out quickly.
:idea:

I think this. A week would be a pretty {censored}ing quit turn time to get a pedal redesigned (however slightly), mass produced, and shipped to retailers. Or Dano has the best logistics team and quickest factory in the world.

• Members

There are not any law suits, and last i heard Dano is still working on changes to the circuit. I think everybody is just out since this whole tod/tim thing came out.

No drama here.

Later, PaulC
tim/timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio

• Members

Reverse engineering at its finest

Dunno about that. Sure,that one demo that guy did proved to get a matching tone, but there was a LOT of tweaking involved. The TIM sounded awesome on all settings, but the TOD was a little muffled. Don't get me wrong, for the price, the TOD is a winner.

BUT considering that Paul C. hasn't significantly raised his prices over the years (and totally could), and his pedal sounds better at all settings, it's still the way to go IMO.

• Members

Dunno about that. Sure,that one demo that guy did proved to get a matching tone, but there was a LOT of tweaking involved. The TIM sounded awesome on all settings, but the TOD was a little muffled. Don't get me wrong, for the price, the TOD is a winner.

I dunno Dave, the vids ive seen make sound like the opposite to me.

regardless I dont believe the Hype

• Members

I don't think they've changed anything at all. They are under no legal obligation to do so, why would they do something that they didn't have to, that would cost them money?

They're working on changes right now, and when they're done they said they would send the info to me to check out. They're being very open with me, and i believe them. Steve seems to be a really good guy, and I'm hoping to a quick end to all of this.

Later, PaulC

tim/timmy pedals

myspace.com/paulcaudio

• Members

:eek::eek:

Well I'll be goddamned, I take it back, I guess they are fixing it.

Okay then I'm going to go buy the local Transparent Overdrive V1 stock tomorrow, sorry Paul but I got mouths to feed.

Also put me on the waiting list for a Timmy would you? Seriously. You know my name.

Edit: Seriously, why are they doing this? They had absolutely nothing to lose, have they given you a reason why they're taking action to do what appears to be the right thing? They are apparently redistributers of Chinese cloned items (which is another odd-as-hell wrinkle in this whole situation, how do they NOT KNOW what the factories they are giving money to are making?), why in your case have they taken such a personal interest?

• Members

Apparentaly, recently. Thats why they recalled his friends Amazon one and discontinued in Musiciansfriend only to put it up again days later.

Considering all those pedals come from china, and the whole timmy/transparent OD thing did not come to light until a few weeks ago, I highly doubt that these pedals have been changed already. manufacturing time plus shipping is probably at least 8 weeks... not to mention that they would have to actually make changes to the design which would take even more time.

• Members
Considering all those pedals come from china, and the whole timmy/transparent OD thing did not come to light until a few weeks ago, I highly doubt that these pedals have been changed already. manufacturing time plus shipping is probably at least 8 weeks... not to mention that they would have to actually make changes to the design which would take even more time.

:idk:.

How long has the whole Tod versus Timmy thing been going on? Regardless, it probably will be changed sometime down the road. I just find it odd that alot of online stores discontinued or recalled them.

• Members

Does this mean they're going to change the Drive to make it not a VLOD/OCDv1 clone? And the Fuzz so that it's not a Frantone Peach Fuzz clone?

Come on, how was this an accident? The way they are acting now makes so little sense that I am literally wishing that I could hire a detective, my very own private dick to get on the case!

(that's hot)

Guys, I think the debate over whether the TOD is getting changed is over, straight from the horse's mouth a few posts up:

They're working on changes right now, and when they're done they said they would send the info to me to check out. They're being very open with me, and i believe them. Steve seems to be a really good guy, and I'm hoping to a quick end to all of this.

Later, PaulC

tim/timmy pedals

myspace.com/paulcaudio

• Members

I've got a full set of the dirt pedals, and enough cash in my pocket to buy a few more from the local shop. I am absolutely bamboozled that they are doing something uncharacteristic of Chinese cloner companies when lawyers aren't involved and changing the designs. I am also totally calling into question my earlier smug assertions about these pedals never being worth more than they are now, so much so that I am considering upping my own stock as a minor investment :eek:

Archived