Official HCFX Pedal Raffle Thread

Aaron SS

• Members

Point taken.

If that seems to be the general mentality then it could very well be put into place. That would mean ticket sales would be limited to a time frame rather then a quota. Only problem I could see with that is that it possibly make for a more lengthy process. Figure if a pedal that's worth $100 was voted on it would be sold probably within a day as it would only take 20 entries whereas an unlimited entry system would probably last a week.

I plan to do this as long as it would go if it works out.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate to be the lone voice of dissent, but I'm not too keen on the idea. If the rest of you guys want to do this, then have at it, but personally I'd rather reserve the raffles for charitable causes. If I want to support "our" builders, then I'll buy one of their pedals. I just don't see the point (or fun) in gambling for them (but then I don't really see the fun of lotteries either, even though clearly enough people do, so that my wait in line at the gas station usually takes 10 minutes). Just my opinion. :idk:

• Members

So how about doing it on a monthly basis. 4 pedal drawings per month, pedals agreed upon the prior month. For example, say the total cost of the pedals is 4x200 = $800 for the month. Divide that by 150 people and it will be $5.50 per person to enter for the month. The problem is keeping track of the entries and paypal, jsut make sure everyone puts their user name and the month in the title and note.

The only problem I see with this, is the odds of winning are really reduced if you have 150 people in the raffle instead of 20-30. But you have to consider that people WILL bitch and moan if they don't get in the raffle because you only let 20 people in.

• Members

I hate to be the lone voice of dissent, but I'm not too keen on the idea. If the rest of you guys want to do this, then have at it, but personally I'd rather reserve the raffles for charitable causes. If I want to support "our" builders, then I'll buy one of their pedals. I just don't see the point (or fun) in gambling for them (but then I don't really see the fun of lotteries either, even though clearly enough people do, so that my wait in line at the gas station usually takes 10 minutes). Just my opinion.
:idk:

i understand what you are saying, but for $5 a month, it could add a cool feature to the forum and possibly give people a chance at owning cool pedals that they couldn't afford otherwise.

• Members

So how about doing it on a monthly basis. 4 pedal drawings per month, pedals agreed upon the prior month. For example, say the total cost of the pedals is 4x200 = $800 for the month. Divide that by 150 people and it will be $5.50 per person to enter for the month. The problem is keeping track of the entries and paypal, jsut make sure everyone puts their user name and the month in the title and note.

The only problem I see with this, is the odds of winning are really reduced if you have 150 people in the raffle instead of 20-30. But you have to consider that people WILL bitch and moan if they don't get in the raffle because you only let 20 people in.

I personally like the individual capped drawings. The typical pedal i could see people voting on would be $100-$200 which works out to 20-40 tickets which are good odds. As I said first come first served and since voting time would be set people would know when I would start accepting purchases. If they didn't get in in time all i could really say is better luck next time.

• Members

i understand what you are saying, but for $5 a month, it could add a cool feature to the forum and possibly give people a chance at owning cool pedals that they couldn't afford otherwise.

But, mostly people will just be wasting their money. But, of course, it's their money, they can waste it if they want. I'm just offering my opinion. I'd just rather see them "waste" it on the charitable raffles that crop up now and then, and I'd hate to think this sort of thing might crowd those out.

• Members

Only thing i could suggest is to have people post in the thread first as to whether they want a ticket until the amount is up. Then tell them where to send the payment.

Whenever I see a raffle in the EG forum I always buy a couple tickets but thats going to a good cause so...

• Members

But, mostly people will just be wasting their money. But, of course, it's their money, they can waste it if they want. I'm just offering my opinion. I'd just rather see them "waste" it on the charitable raffles that crop up now and then, and I'd hate to think this sort of thing might crowd those out.

yea I agree with money going towards a charity, but I don't see how that would work without charging people mroe money or letting more people enter.

• Members

I think the moral issue is all about perspective. You could look at your $5 entry as a contribution to a pedal that will go to someone who might not necessarily be able to afford the pedal at face value or go to a builder whose sales might not be all that great. Or if you win you are by all means free to donate it to someone who needs it/the money more. We all don't know each others financial status....

But yes those interested can't ignore the obvious and that is that it is not a sure bet and there will only be 1 (maybe 2?) winner.

• Members

I personally like the individual capped drawings. The typical pedal i could see people voting on would be $100-$200 which works out to 20-40 tickets which are good odds. As I said first come first served and since voting time would be set people would know when I would start accepting purchases. If they didn't get in in time all i could really say is better luck next time.

I agree with this fully.. It's not like it's a 1 time deal (well, unless somehow it goes horribly bad, which I don't see how it could)

• Members
I don't mind the occasional raffle being posted when it is in support of a worthy charitable cause, such as a sick forumite or something along those lines, but I don't know about a regular raffle... that's too close to gambling for my tastes guys...
:(

If we added an additional amount (say 10%) to be donated to a charity would that be acceptable?

• Members
What if there is no leftover?
:freak:

Sounds like a big cluster-fcuk waiting to happen.

We'd wait until we had surplus funds before selecting the winner, I suppose.

Also, just noticed you're from Vegas! So am I! Except I'm stuck here in San Luis Obispo, CA for school.

• Members

Realistically, what are you guys expecting to donate? I mean....would it REALLY be worth it to donate if there's only a couple of dollars left over? I doubt your going to see lots of surplus funds generated from this, especially if you institute a cap. That's going to limit the odds of having a surplus. I mean...if you buy raffle tickets from a local organization, is there a cap on tickets? No. If you're serious about wanting to donate....then don't do a cap.

Not a cap per se, but we'd wait until we had 'X' amount of dollars above the price of the pedal before selecting a winner. Almost the reverse of a cap!

$5 for a ticket was suggested in the first post, and 21 folks have already signed themselves over in blood. This thread is fairly young, so I imagine more folks will be interested.

• Members
Realistically, what are you guys expecting to donate? I mean....would it REALLY be worth it to donate if there's only a couple of dollars left over? I doubt your going to see lots of surplus funds generated from this, especially if you institute a cap. That's going to limit the odds of having a surplus. I mean...if you buy raffle tickets from a local organization, is there a cap on tickets? No. If you're serious about wanting to donate....then don't do a cap.

Cool. But, I'm not from Vegas...I just live here.
:freak:

I think 20% of the pedals value as a contribution to a charity would be sufficient.

Archived