So why WOULDN'T you buy a PRS?

english_bob

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there is something about JEMs that really make me want to rock one. so {censored}ing sinful. bobby didnt you have a pink one? sick.

gat damn...i had an 87 floral that was STEVES (now belongs to hard rock)

had an 88 pink one (my main axe)

had a 90 BFP blue floral (pretty rare)

had an 89 floral that replaced the 87 that i sold to the Hard Rock

and had a 91 PMC (purple multicolor swirl) that was THE {censored} -- those are like $4000 now IF you can find one.

i loved those early maple necks on the green, pink, and yellow jems. nice unfinished maple, rounded back, HUGE frets (6000s, i think).

and i have always been a Dimarzio guy, since 1976, except for that portion of the late 90s when I endorsed EMG (and dimarzio has never forgiven me -- "nice flat pickups" was their comment)

i know, the monkey grip handle is stupid....the colors are eye-gouging bright and scream 80s....

but the early JEMS with maple necks are my favorite shred guitars. well, that and my custom "Dweezil Green" Jackson strat I had made in 1986....

• Members

Also you can't "flame" wood to look like a hologram. Thats the natural grain. That's what the wood looks like. Also, I note that you haven't played one. Try it. They play really nicely. They are very well balanced, do not feel like plastic, and sound great through pretty much any amp.

Oh no, I've held one, plucked at it for a minute, just didn't plug it in. My $200 Telestar plays nicely too, I'm not about to pay $5000 for that. Solid body guitars are pretty simple things, not counting hardware, because it is replaceable, there is nothing but wood type, finish, and neck. It doesn't take much to hit all of those points, a well shaped neck with good frets, a decent plank of wood of your preference, and a nice thin finish, and you're golden. Unless you're into Nitro finishes, after the first $650, max, it's all cosmetics, and PRS is teh fail in that regard.

You want to talk about a nice feeling guitar? For $5000 I could get an old Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, or Guild that I can assure you will feel better than anything PRS can put out because you can't copy an aged Nitro finish with anything other than an aged Nitro finish. Just feels natural, and alive. If you need the brootz, just swap out the pickups and aged the covers.

• Members

I bought my PRS custom 24 brand new back in 97' before they got a bunch of numetal bands using them. I got it because a couple of my personal guitar heroes played them. Warren Haynes played one in the mid to late nineties, and Texas guitar Wizard, Bugs Henderson uses one. I've never regretted buying it, I've always loved the tone, the look, and the playability. I can't speak for the quality of the new ones, but mine has NEVER given me a problem, and it's been to every gig with me for the last 12 years. I still love my PRS and am very sorry to see such a wonderful instrument garner such a poor reputation.

I'm curious to see how people feel about the Parker Fly now, back when I bought my PRS the Fly was the other popular expensive alternative to Gibson and Fender, and the Parkers have all but fallen off the face of the earth.

• Members

Hey Rex,

It's unfortunate that awful artists can taint an instrument for us. IT's not like most of us would buy anything just because someone uses/used one. But the influence of having an association with people so low down the rungs of respect is often too much to overcome - especially when it's such a percentage of the users, like with PRS.

I think a McCarty I played was about the easiest guitar to play I've ever laid hands on but Nickelback is a big hurdle to overcome.

Also, it's not like complete tools have never picked up a Strat but it's the weight of good to bad that probably lets Fender get away with some dickheads using their gear.

Interesting point about the Parker Fly. Never really got heaps of them out in Australia. Old habits die hard and I think guitarists weren't prepared to jump to a pretty radical design. Then when they started doing models based on Telecasters and so on, then you really had zero reason to buy a Parker over a real Tele. So for me, I'd still give a Parker a go if I found a good one that staked its own ground.

• Members

Basically, i see a Paul Reed Smith guitar as the instrument for the practising attourney, doctor, dentist.....

They have very little that is attractive to me as a musician, they don't sound particularly good, and they're about as far away from rock and roll as you can get. I mean c'mon! The only rockers playing them at the moment that i've heard of are the dickhead from creed who's moved on to something with slightly more respect and slightly more talent, and Nickelback! For {censored} sake! Nickelback!

• Members

I love them..I have a McCarty and a STD 22..I dig them along with my V's,Explorers and Les Paul Customs..Variety...Why so much hate towards Nickleback?? Chad writes some catchy tunes and pretty good riffs...I know he isn't punching a time clock at 5am in the morning like I do..I'm not the biggest fan of them but I wouldn't play a certain brand guitar because someone I don't like plays one..I cannot stand alot of Les Paul players but I still play a Les Paul..Cort

Archived