Church dudes sound off: post yer set list

ninjaaron

• Members

I find this thread fascinating. I think about religion and god about as much as I think about growing wings and flying around. It's just not something that even enters into my life at all.

But I almost want to go to church to see all these crazy setlists and how they're weaved into being relative to worship.

I've always found it interesting how p&w bands often have so many members playing instruments that have little to do with one another. I know the idea is to let anyone play who wants to play but it must take some work to make it sound good.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always found it interesting how p&w bands often have so many members playing instruments that have little to do with one another. I know the idea is to let anyone play who wants to play but it must take some work to make it sound good.

Not every P&W band is like this. I think it really depends on what church. Some are into the whole prophetic side of things and will get cellos and keyboards, harpsichords, dulcimers, washboards, etc on stage and just see what happens. Our church is full of players who are all in bar bands...so we have a typical setup with drums, keys, acoustic, electric, bass and vocals.

We don't let anyone play who wants to play. We have a rotation and schedule...and that keeps things from getting messy on stage. It's one thing to lead people in worship....but another to be a distraction by having 19 people on stage all playing something different.

• Members

That said, I think the teaching (sermon) shouldn't need any additional distraction from the band. Closing prayer, sure. Giving the final point, maybe. But a good preacher shouldn't need to rely on his musicians to drive his point home for him.

You're right, but 90% of the time, music makes a great transition.

• Members

You're right, but 90% of the time, music makes a great transition.

True. Music does serve a great function in that regard. Our service varies a bit- when we don't have a closing song, we typically have a video that shows during offering (end of service). Sometimes it's a fully produced video, sometimes it's created in-house, and sometimes it's just text with music in the background.

I really do like the smoothness of using music to transition everything, though...

• Members

Let God Arise

Not To Us

Marvelous Light

Wholly Yours

Question. On Let God Arise, can you get the Distortion to sustain the way Carlton plays it? I've tried using several different configurations and even studied his rig and can't get his sound down right on that one. I know he uses a Rat, FD2, RV-5 and a DD-5 and I've even slowed down a video he made and took notes then set my pedals to be as close to his as I could and still no dice. So if have any suggestions it would be appreciated.

• Members

Question. On Let God Arise, can you get the Distortion to sustain the way Carlton plays it? I've tried using several different configurations and even studied his rig and can't get his sound down right on that one. I know he uses a Rat, FD2, RV-5 and a DD-5 and I've even slowed down a video he made and took notes then set my pedals to be as close to his as I could and still no dice. So if have any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Yes...I can get that going direct or playing with an amp. I just put my own spin on it. Live, he stacks his Rat and FD2 together. I just use a Variac'd Plexi patch with my POD and use a Facial Fuzz (Arbiter Fuzz Face) pedal sim and it works for me.

He said himself in a video that he meant that tone to be pretty nasty and fuzzy....so I wouldn't study what he does....just use what you have available and go from there

• Members
So how does church playing go? Do you actually get to sound good? Do you use pedals like you said? I just can't see someone boosting their amp into overdrive in a church.

I used to use my MM JP6 guitar with Engl Sovereign combo in my church :thu:
Worked great, especially when we were having open-air service in the park.

• Members

plays it? I've tried using several different configurations and even studied his rig and can't get his sound down right on that one. I know he uses a Rat, FD2, RV-5 and a DD-5 and I've even slowed down a video he made and took notes then set my pedals to be as close to his as I could and still no dice. So if have any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Carlton.gif

He he. :thu: (By the way, his name is Daniel Carson)

Archived