Church dudes sound off: post yer set list

ninjaaron

• Members

it's been awhile since i participated in church music. as someone said previously, the "feeling" some bands are trying produce doesn't sit well with me. being in the bible belt as well, some ppl aren't keen on a guy playing music in bars one night (like me) then coming in and playing in church...not too sure how they can judge if you don't feel convicted about it, but that's just me

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it's been awhile since i participated in church music. as someone said previously, the "feeling" some bands are trying produce doesn't sit well with me. being in the bible belt as well, some ppl aren't keen on a guy playing music in bars one night (like me) then coming in and playing in church...not too sure how they can judge if you don't feel convicted about it, but that's just me

maybe they don't like hypocrites?

• Members
maybe they don't like hypocrites?

i should have mentioned that i only occasionally drink in the privacy of my own home, don't chase the barflies, or drop F-bombs at drunks spilling beverages near my gear...

i'm sure it has something to do with my age (24) and ppl not really taking what i tell them about that for the truth...:facepalm:

• Members

Here was our set from today:

Rescue Me

You Are The Image

You Are Mine, I Am Yours

Holiness

Peace

The Servant Song

We Should Sing A New Song

Benediction

Some from out in the lexicon of worship music and some from our congregation. I'd been incredibly playing worship during college but I've found to playing where I go now to be liberating. It's nice that our two head worship leaders are pretty open about their distaste for the vast majority of worship music.

Our main leader just put out an album. If you're tired of the same old sounding stuff it's worth checking out. He's a big ambient rock/noise guy. I can't remember how many times I've just used completely wet reverse delay for noise. :)

http://www.myspace.com/mikecrawfordmusic

The recordings are a little off-putting at first but I think that was part of the point. He didn't want it to sound like other "worship" albums.

Oh and I think that at least half of the other people who play are currently playing in bar bands as well. Everyone on that cd does.

• Members

I think it's funny that people rock out for Jeezus but people like Pat Robertson still say it's the "devil's music". Super Devout God-Squad types still think you are going to hell for having an overdrive pedal. Cast your Tube Screamers away and be free of sin my children.

• Members
the whole idea of playing in church is
:facepalm:

i
do
like to watch the church channels just to make fun of the guys playing the music in the background...

Naww man church players got some crazy R&B feeling goin on.

Or some guys have a Wes' type style.

Like that guy who plays all the xOtic effects.

Anybody know his name?

• Members

Today we played:

I Love You Lord

Forever

Amazing Grace (redone in a 4/4 rock version)

Give Thanks (cheesy, but it works as an offertory song)

We Want to See Jesus Lifted High

Older music in this set, but our church uses a lectionary (meaning we have a prearranged set of scripture readings that are typically used for readings and sermon basis), and most of those songs had something to do with the verses in the lectionary, and I try to keep songs on that theme.

We're also training in a new drummer, an older guy who has never played an instrument in his life, so we've had to pull back a bit. But our congregation LOVES it when we do bluegrass Sundays. Go figure.

• Members

I think it's funny that people rock out for Jeezus but people like Pat Robertson still say it's the "devil's music". Super Devout God-Squad types still think you are going to hell for having an overdrive pedal. Cast your Tube Screamers away and be free of sin my children.

Paul said to be "all things to all people". To Pat Roberts et al (although I don't think Mr. Roberts has been tirading against it lately), how can you reach rockers with church choirs? Sure, you can fall on the crutch of "God is big enough to reach anybody," but look at it this way. If Jesus believed that, He could have taught exclusively in the synagogues and let His awesome power reach everyone else. Instead, He went to the sick and the criminals and the enemies of the Jews and the blue collar workers. He went to where the people were.

How does this relate to church music? It means that if your congregation appreciates hymns, play hymns. If they relate to rock music, play that. I've been to churches that play metal. Not my bag, but if they are able to relate and use it as an avenue to the Truth, fantastic!

• Members
I occasionally drum in church. But i normally kind of get angry with church worship. Well, at my church, we have a huge problem with music being used to manipulate people into feeling the holy spirit...when it sort of just acts as a guilt trip. "could i just get the band to come up and play some music" whent hey come up and play the holy pad synth sounds. For me, i don't think music is needed when people are getting into it.

I know what you mean, but it doesn't bother me unless it's while the pastor is still preaching. These pastors that need some soft piano music to add some drama to end their sermons are lame

I was at a conference a few years ago with a pastor that ALWAYS has someone at the piano when he preaches, playing something brain-washy. You'd think after all this washing, our brains should be clean by now :facepalm:

It was bad.

• Members

Tonight's Service -

Die to Live
Point of Difference
I will stand
Revelation Song
Oceans will Part

Rig:
2 Peavey Wolfgangs
EVH 5150 III into Splawn 2x12 cab
EVH Wah>MXR Micro Amp>EVH Phase 90>EVH Flanger
FX Loop>Eventide Time Factor>Eventide Pitchfactor...

We like to rock out...

• Members
Basically, there are three or four kinds of songs:

1. Songs where you copy the sound of U2 or Coldplay, but with a little more ambient feeling. (this also flies on updated hymns)

2. Songs that are a little R&B/bluesy/funky

3. Slow moody songs in minor keys

4. Fast faux Jewish songs in harmonic minor keys

yeah? I don't really find this to be true. :idk:

Our worship team at school consists of

acoustic/lead vox
3 girl vox
bass
harmonica/percussion/guitar/vox guy
harmonica/percussion/mandolin guy
keyboards
drums
electric guitar (often times used with a cello bow) (me)

and occasionally other incredibly excellent and random instruments. its a pretty excellent sound. but whatever works man, different tastes are brilliant. :love: I would love to do some faux-jewish songs some time...

• Members
I know what you mean, but it doesn't bother me unless it's while the pastor is still preaching. These pastors that need some soft piano music to add some drama to end their sermons are lame

I was at a conference a few years ago with a pastor that ALWAYS has someone at the piano when he preaches, playing something brain-washy. You'd think after all this washing, our brains should be clean by now

It was bad.

Yeah man defanately.

I remember a couple of months ago, the youth pastor spoke and at the end got all spiritual and calls out to the guitarist Tyson and says "could you just plat some guitar, not to make it anymore spiritual or anything" and i was thinking to myself, that's exactly why you got him to come up.

AHHH Music doesn't help!

• Members

I was at a conference a few years ago with a pastor that ALWAYS has someone at the piano when he preaches, playing something brain-washy. You'd think after all this washing, our brains should be clean by now

It was bad.

I used to work at a church where professional quality was the priority instead of worship or Jesus or any of that "unimportant" stuff... I only worked there for about three months before calling it quits (although it was hard- the money was KILLER).

One of the few things they did that I liked, though, was a solid stream of music from the beginning of the service right on up until the sermon. Then as soon as the sermon was over, we were up on stage playing a special (every bloody week we had to do another cover of a tune relevant to the sermon- we played Third Day, U2, Elton John, some originals... It was at times very frustrating) and then solid stream of music until the folks were out the door.

From a musical standpoint, it forced me to write creative key changes and tempo/style transitions. From a worship standpoint, it was neat to be able to go on a musical rollercoaster that eventually (hopefully) breaks down the walls between the congregation and God.

Is it wrong to use emotion? I don't think so. What is passion without emotion? Obviously you don't want everything to be emotional, or it becomes only about that. On the other hand, as a worshipper, if my emotions are not engaged, neither is my heart. I can remain passive pretty easily if I'm not being pushed to cry out to my Lord.

That said, I think the teaching (sermon) shouldn't need any additional distraction from the band. Closing prayer, sure. Giving the final point, maybe. But a good preacher shouldn't need to rely on his musicians to drive his point home for him.

• Members

Satan Seeps from My Sores

We did a prophetic version of this a few weeks ago. It was pretty cool. We put a few extra smoke machines on stage to really give it a "from the depths of hell" feel. I think it went over well. After that, we went into our version of Spinal Tap's Big Bottom

Archived