Diamond compresser VS Keeley 4 knob... what say you?

Vedder323

• Members

They are pretty different IMO.

Keeley = Ross clone (IIRC) - pretty squishy, bit of high end loss, smooth to my ears and quite pumped sounding, adds quite a bit of sustain.

Diamond = Optical compressor - a lot more subtle than the Keeley, not squishy, can add some sustain, very useful EQ which can make a jazzy dark tone or a jangley pop tone (to my ears), loads of volume on tap.

It really depends what you want from a comp. I personally prefer the Diamond.

• Members

Keeley = Ross clone (IIRC) - pretty squishy, bit of high end loss, smooth to my ears and quite pumped sounding, adds quite a bit of sustain.

Diamond = Optical compressor - a lot more subtle than the Keeley, not squishy, can add some sustain, very useful EQ which can make a jazzy dark tone or a jangley pop tone (to my ears), loads of volume on tap.

from that description, if its accurate, the diamond would be up my alley... I want a very light and subtle compression, leaving my tone in tact and the ability to work with my EQ is always a plus cause my AC15 can get a little harsh at times

• Members

from that description, if its accurate, the diamond would be up my alley... I want a very light and subtle compression, leaving my tone in tact and the ability to work with my EQ is always a plus cause my AC15 can get a little harsh at times

I'd say that my description is pretty acurate. I think if you are looking for subtle and feel an EQ could help you the Diamond may well be a better choice than the Keeley.

• Members

That description of the Diamond is on-point. It is not a character piece - it is neutral and keeps your guitar's tone. The EQ tilt and clean boost are icing on an already sweet cake.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

This. :thu:

I hate comps - well every comp I've ever tried except the Diamond. :love:

• Members

They sound pretty different to my ears.

Yeah, I wasn't saying they sound the same ... I was just saying that, had I not liked the Diamond, I would've bought a Tone Press. A lot of people seem to like those, but the Diamond is fantastic.

FWIW -- I've never liked other comps either.... until the Diamond.

• Members

The biggest difference is in the picking dynamics and the fact that there is no 'pumping' of the sustained signal with the Diamond.

Awesome pedal.

Agreed. With the Keeley, it made the guitar sound rather dead. it's a very particular sound and it's not my sound!

Sometimes punmping is good though. I'm really interested to see how these JoeMeek pedals come out as the VC3Q unit sounds great with guitar and bass.

• Members

The biggest difference is in the picking dynamics and the fact that there is no 'pumping' of the sustained signal with the Diamond.

Awesome pedal.

Long story short -- we agree. I don't know the specifics on the Tone Press, but the Diamond does it for me and as such, I have no desire to play a Tone Press. My statement was purely contingent on my response to the Diamond.... which does everything I want. It gives me more sustain without overcompressing, has a great EQ feature, and is about the slickest comp out there I think.

Glad to hear you appreciate it too. :thu::wave:

• Members

The only squishy comp I've ever heard and liked is the Orange Squeezer type circuits - the Ross/Dyna Comp just kills too many of the dynamics for me to be useful.

Sometimes that really squished sound is cool though - it all just depends on the application.

Archived