Tame Impala

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think Tame Impala's pretty great. They're derivative and a little heavy on the phaser and trippy echo effects (and to be honest, their production tends to be pretty bloated and overdone at times), but overall I think Kevin is a legitimately great young songwriter trying to find his voice - their stuff is beautifully arranged and works nicely, particularly on Innerspeaker.

Since they've been mentioned in this thread (I hope ironically), Wolfmother, on the other hand may literally be one of the worst bands I've ever heard. Cheesy, poorly-made, cringe-worthy {censored} rock at its worst. I was hoping everyone had forgotten about them at this point, but sadly, that's not the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by pbone

View Post

The album is streaming on NPR.org right now and it is {censored}ing mindblowing

Been listening to it for the last week evil.gif which I don't feel bad about since I just spent $80+ on the Deluxe Edition facepalm.gif

Definitely a milestone album... less bluesy Cream and Hendrix influenced than InnerSpeaker overall... more melodic and early 70s Glam. Definitely inspired me to pick up Todd Rundgren's A Wizard... A True Star, which I'd never bothered to listen to before.

• Members

Been listening to this all week and gotta say... It's pretty good.

This is the first time Tame Impala has felt like it's produced by one guy (guess "Lonerism" fits) whereas Innerspeaker has a full-band, larger scope in mind (but still just Kevin Parker). Definitely see the 70's glam, quasi-disco influence. Lonerism is solid, just not feeling a personal attachment like I did with Innerspeaker. Still buying it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by placebo62

View Post

How's it done? out of curiosity...

Both Ozzy and Lennon had a special effect device, but it can be 'easily' reproduced by modern technology.

Read the Sound On Sound tutorials on the subject. I'm sure Phil wrote something related too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt-60

View Post

Care to name drop some of those? I love older experimental rock and don't think I have any Swedish psych. Sounds good, I bet they jam.

I forgot I wrote that comment, which in retrospect was way too harsh and I now completely disagree with. Innerspeaker sounded a bit too derivative to me the first couple listens, but it's a record I ended up loving. It's a really good album with a sound of it's own and a pop sensibility that many older psychedelic rock groups never had.

Regarding the swedish psych, these are a couple of artists worth checking out: P