A good friend of mine's Mum just passed away...

Loobs

• Members

Around a couple of weeks ago. I never really knew his Mother that well, only met her briefly on a few occasions. Is it appropriate to go to her funeral to support my buddy with another couple of close friends? Or would it be inappropriate considering how little I knew of her? I haven't asked him for details of her funeral yet.

• Members

Three of my close friends have lost one of their parents in the last few years.

My friends dad died and i had only met him once cos she lived with her mum. I asked her straight out if she wanted me to go to the funeral and she said yes. It was a bit weird but important to be there for her.

Tell your friend want to go to support them, stand at the back and pay your respects. Or say if they'd rather keep it to family thats cool too.

Its a horrible thing to see your friend go through, just being around for them generally can be a big help.

• Members

The thing a lot of people don't consider is that your friend may not have a lot of other people their age at the funeral aside from cousins, etc - your presence would probably be a major source of relief from the older folks.

• Members

Definitely go! I was playing in a band and one of the guys (who I wasn't that close with) lost his dad. I wasn't sure if I should go (and I hate wakes/funerals), and then I almost left b/c there were a {censored}load of people. Took me over an hour to get to the family. But when I got there, the dude was SO happy to see me it made it all worth it. There were so many people there he didn't know, hadn't met, or hadn't seen in ages, that when he saw me, it was some huge relief or something. He was so appreciative. So I've changed my tune on those things since then.

• Members

The funeral ritual isn't really for her. She has already passed on. The ritual is for him and his family and her friends, etc. . . - the living.

You should go to support your friend regardless of whether you knew his mother well or not. He'll appreciate it.

• Members

go but keep in mind other relatives might feel it was intrusive if they want to quitly be with there family

it totally depends on the size of the funeral

a big one with lots of unknown people he has to deal with and he will need the support of his friends (even if only in the backgrounds as a stabilizing presence)

a small one with family should be left to them

Archived