OT: HCFX usage of the variant slurs on the word 'gay'

• Members

language is an evolving thing. words come and go and meanings change.

i use the word gay and (n-word deleted by Phil) every now and then, for whatever purpose i see fit. i don't think people should be scared of using language. obviously there's useage for polite conversation and when you're around friends who understand how you are using it's easier to 'get away' with using some words which you probably wouldn't elsewhere.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sad story.

I try not to use pejorative slang for any minority group. That said, it's not the same as the N-word. I've got lots of gay friends (I went to an art school, so go figure), many use these terms in every day conversation. And even the ones that don't, I can't ever recall them being offended by or remarking that they would be offended by the usage of any particular word. :idk:

• Members

I think the environment is a lot different here from in school.

Most likely, yes. But then most of the faculty at Carl's school probably felt the same way about the Carl. Anyway, without pushing anything to the extreme here, I feel that bringing this up is a small way of paying respect to the tragedy, and testing the vibe here at HCFX. I have to admit that the poll results were predictable for me, yet somehow I'm still disappointed.

• Members

99% of the time, bullying happens due to parenting, period. People that teach their kids right and wrong don't raise bullies. The fathers that hit their wives raise the bullies...

So wrong. Most bullies were bullied once themselves - this looks like a pretty large factor to me. Raising a child 'right' doesn't necessarily mean that they won't be insecure, lack in confidence, or any of the many other facets of a bully.

• Members

Does that mean we'll start editing out usage of the word, "retarded?"

yes.. absolutely.

though not through censorship... but rather dialogue, caring.. not being a prick etc. etc. :)

language is a contest for meaning. One that has serious consequences.

For example... when the word 'bitch' comes to represent something, and young girls grow up into language, and discover that THEY are seen, or could be seen as a 'bitch' (less than a man), and that there is a hierarchy that people agree on which sees them violently oppressed ...

saying 'just get over it' is {censored}ING RETARDED. :wave:

• Members

About the results, I do agree with words just being words. But in this case it that word was used with malicious intent. When you interchange "gay" with "stupid", I have to lean to the side that says language isn't static.

• Members

Tragic for sure.

I couldn't help but :lol:/:facepalm: when i saw in bold lettering "Bullies worse then Breast Cancer."

And I love how people jump {censored} when it happens to a "minority." Bullying is the same regardless of who it happens to, its what kids do at that age. Kids have to learn to deal with bullies. It just gets worse as you grow up anyways.

Plus the whole "because its offensive to me" argument is not valid. Everyone has different morals/viewpoints/expectation, if you don't like it...don't participate.

All in all I think words are just words, thats just coming from my personal viewpoint.

• Members

Plus the whole "because its offensive to me" argument is not valid. Everyone has different morals/viewpoints/expectation, if you don't like it...don't participate.

All in all I think words are just words, thats just coming from my personal viewpoint.

Well a lot of people would disagree. How would you like it if you were Jewish (which you very well may be), and 'Jewish' became slang for 'bad'? If people walked around saying 'Oh man that film was so {censored}ing Jewish' etc etc?

I think it's very easy if you're not a discriminated minority to play the 'words are just words' card, but it's a pretty immature and ignorant view IMO.

Gambit, considering the topic of the thread, I'm giving you a break for the n-word use, but if I ever see that again, it's definitely going to get you temp-banned.

I do not want to see that word, or any variation of it in use on HC - under ANY circumstances.

I'm going to allow a bit more time for others to express their POV regarding the subject before making any further comments, but please everyone - use a little taste and sensitivity in terms of how you word your posts / make your points please. :cop:

• Members

99% of the time, bullying happens due to parenting, period. People that teach their kids right and wrong don't raise bullies. The fathers that hit their wives raise the bullies...

Parenting affects a lot, but I would say it's less than 99%.

Separate from the gay bullying thing...How long ago did this happen? I thought it was kind of odd how composed this mother was, especially after her son committed suicide...

EDIT: just read the article again...April 6....hmmm...strange how she doesn't even seem upset....

• Members

I was bullied as a kid. Even more than how much Robo bullies me here :poke:

But srsly...it was bad. Never so bad that I wanted to take my life though. I don't know what was going on inside that kid's head that made him want to end it all. None of us do. I think that censoring kids from words like gay is a step in the wrong direction. I think gay is not what it used to be, and shouldn't be compared to the N word. The N word has historical significance, and stands for intolerance and ignorance, and has a less-than-favorable history attached with its use. I don't think that's the case with the word gay. Gay has become OK to use in everyday language. What if the word douche evolved, and took on a new meaning, and some kid shot himself in the head because he was called a douche?

Language will be constantly evolving. We just can't shelter people from what's going on and being said in the world. That will only make things worse for kids.

If the kid killed himself, it leads me to belive that maybe something bigger was going on...and that's what need to be looked at. Did the parents make it hard for the kid to talk to them about stuff? Were the parents ever around?

And...I know lots of parents that would do ANYTHING for their kids. If the kid was being teased that badly....they should have considered pulling him from that school and putting him in another. Not trying to fault the parents...just saying according to the article....there's a history of the kid being teased. Maybe the parent should have spoken with the parents of the kids who were teasing?

Sad story nonetheless. In any case....this stuff is going to happen, and sometimes there's not going to be any answers or any fix.

• Members

I'm going to allow a bit more time for others to express their POV regarding the subject before making any further comments

Phil, I just wanted to state that in my OP, I wasn't referring to you when using the word "hypocritical". Rather, I was referring to the 'culture', if you will, of the members of this forum. This thread wasn't an attack on you, and I hope you won't perceive it as such. I think you're an outstanding moderator.

• Members

I think it's very easy if you're not a discriminated minority to play the 'words are just words' card, but it's a pretty immature and ignorant view IMO.

What about the discriminated majority? It matters too.

Should I not be mad if somebody calls me "Whitey"?

• Members

I don't view 'fag' as an offensive word. It was something that entered my vocabulary when I lived in the gay friendly area of Church Street in Toronto. Gay friends in the UK use it with each other and I use it too.

It isn't the word itself which is offensive. It's the way you employ it. The classic example would be the word 'Jew'. A person can mould it into somethign offensive if they are that way inclined.

Simply banning words irrespective of the context in which they were used is ridiculous (see 'niggardly' and the whole fuss over that word).

Archived