OT: HCFX usage of the variant slurs on the word 'gay'

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think using the words "gay" and "retarded" is offensive. It's taking someone's state of being and using it as an insult. However, there is a difference between those words, and the n-word, for me, at least. I think it has to do with maturity. I associate "gay" and "retarded" as being immature expressions; they're not hateful, people just say them because those words are in common use. I used to use both those words myself, but I grew up and realized that I didn't like using those words as an insult. Words like the n-word and "fag" are a lot more offensive, because when people use them, they do it to intentionally insult and degrade someone.

I also have an interesting side note: For some reason, when I was in junior high and high school, some people starting using the terms "Jew," "stupid Jew," etc. as insults. These same people would talk about Hitler being cool, and drew swasticas on things. These people weren't actually Nazis, they were just trying to get attention by being offensive. When I first knew people were doing this, I was very offended, and I actually almost beat up one of the guys that was doing that. But as I realized what these people were actually just stupid, immature, attention whores, I became less offended and just didn't like them for who they were.

Try not being Jewish and have people call you Jew because you "look like one" :facepalm:

• Members

Try not being Jewish and have people call you Jew because you "look like one"
:facepalm:

Wow, that sucks.

One time, a black lady was arguing with me about how I didn't look white, because I'm too dark, so I must not be all white. She was substitute teacher who couldn't believe my family was totally Dutch and my parents just moved to this country 20 years ago.

• Members

When gay is used as a general signifier for "bad," I don't find it acceptable at all. And don't play the "well you're not part of the generation that made it acceptable" angle, that's strictly a cop-out and doesn't forgive the irresponsible use of language. People have been using racial slurs to mean "bad" forever, the modern hate speech equivalent is not okay just because it's widespread among certain folks.

• Members

Well a lot of people would disagree. How would you like it if you were Jewish (which you very well may be), and 'Jewish' became slang for 'bad'? If people walked around saying 'Oh man that film was so {censored}ing Jewish' etc etc?

You really have a bad gauge on people, I'm far from Jewish. I'm a non-practicing catholic, which pretty much means I'm indifferent.

I just have a hard time understanding why people's well-beings or mental status are hurt by a simple word. Maybe I'm heartless or like I said I just don't understand as name calling never affected me when I was a kid.

• Members

Think that "words don't matter"? Try asking this poor fellow:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/04/14/brothers_arrested_victim_calls_beating_gay_bashing/

Justin_Goodwinx390.jpg

'course, you'll have to wait a couple of months until they un-wire his jaw and he can speak. Even then, you'll probably have to talk into his left ear since he may never hear out of his right again. And if so, what do you suppose was the last thing he will have ever heard out of that ear? Hint: it wasn't, "good evening."

The word "faggot" is all too often followed up with horrendous -- and murderous -- violence like this. Now imagine being 11 years old and hearing that word constantly.

Words matter.

• Members

I was bullied as a kid. Even more than how much Robo bullies me here :poke:

But srsly...it was bad. Never so bad that I wanted to take my life though. I don't know what was going on inside that kid's head that made him want to end it all. None of us do. I think that censoring kids from words like gay is a step in the wrong direction. I think gay is not what it used to be, and shouldn't be compared to the N word.
The N word has historical significance, and stands for intolerance and ignorance, and has a less-than-favorable history attached with its use. I don't think that's the case with the word gay. Gay has become OK to use in everyday language.
What if the word douche evolved, and took on a new meaning, and some kid shot himself in the head because he was called a douche?

Ya and the n-word was once ok to use in everyday language, that doesn't mean it was right to call someone that.

So derogatory slurs about sexual orientation do not stand for feelings of intolerance and ignorance? These words, like racial slurs, very clearly dohave a "less-than-favourable" history attached to their use. People have been killed because they were gay or thought to be gay. That someone could say that these words don't have just an ugly history as the n-word and other racial slurs is completely beyond me. It would be disingenious to argue that the word gay has completely seperated itself from its previous meaning and evolved into something else and therefore is alright to use. It's very use is grounded in the assumption that gays are less than desirable.

• Members

When gay is used as a general signifier for "bad," I don't find it acceptable at all. And don't play the "well you're not part of the generation that made it acceptable" angle, that's strictly a cop-out and doesn't forgive the irresponsible use of language. People have been using racial slurs to mean "bad" forever, the modern hate speech equivalent is not okay just because it's widespread among certain folks.

Ageed!

• Members

yeah, it pisses me off.......

I'm not really offended by it, it just {censored}ing annoys me and it makes the person saying it sound like a twat (or 12 years old) ...... if you wanna come across as a dickhead or a pre-teen in a school playground carry on, but don't expect any respect from me.

and yeah, you can be a racist as you like on here as long as you don't use certain words..... I wonder if someone would get banned for calling a Frenchman a frog? I seriously doubt it......and don't get me started again on all the slurs made on the Chinese around here, yup it all really {censored}s me off. offended? maybe not too much... I try not to let pathectic, childish, ignorant, stupid and moronic remarks offend me.

• Members

Wow, thats dumb. Lot of ignorant people. As for me, here, you be the judge.

God forbid non-Jewish people can have curly hair.

that is what i call a GANGSTA!!!

TALK ABOUT MIAMI VICE!!!

hellyeah brah, u a PEE AI PEE EMM

that means P.I.M.P. for you slowpokes

• Members

Try going up to a French Barman and going 'Oi, Frog I'll have a JD and Coke' and see what happens.

Off topic, "JD and Coke is fag's drink."

Yeah, it's not big or clever, is it?

This "Words change and evolve" business is a cop out.

Why would one use a minority to describe something bad? It's just stupid.

• Members

Try going up to a French Barman and going 'Oi, Frog I'll have a JD and Coke' and see what happens.

Would I have to use the accent as well?

I'm guessing they don't like it because all French people are stereotyped as the frog legs eating type?

• Members

Of course you should, noone every said you shouldn't. But Whitey isn't a widespread and colloquial synonym for ''someone I don't like''. Difference.

Come to Atlanta.

You'll see that whites in Atlanta are the minority.

• Members

Would I have to use the accent as well?

I'm guessing they don't like it because all French people are stereotyped as the frog legs eating type?

Yeah, I guess so.....I'm pretty sure it's an English thing and back in the 70's it was used in a very derogatory manner. I remember hearing people say things like "blah blah, those frogs" when I was a kid ...... these days it would probably be considered as offensive as calling someone a 'paki' here.

I hope I don't get banned for using these words myself, but that is the problem with all this, stopping people using certain words stops people from discussing them openly and honestly ... which IMO is not a good thing.

• Members

Choice A: The barman ends up having a passionate yet emotionally chaotic affair with your mother whilst seeing your sister at the same time

Choice B: He ends up surrendering instantly to the Germans but still manages to have sex with your mother and sister.

Choice C: He calls his friends to blockade the ferry ports and thus keeps you in France forever. He also has sex with your mother and sister.

• Members

Choice A: The barman ends up having a passionate yet emotionally chaotic affair with your mother whilst seeing your sister at the same time

Choice B: He ends up surrendering instantly to the Germans but still manages to have sex with your mother and sister.

Choice C: He calls his friends to blockade the ferry ports and thus keeps you in France forever. He also has sex with your mother and sister.

Choice D: Andy jumps in with a humourous remark to defuse the potentially explosive situation. He then sleeps with every girl in the bar because they all like a funny guy.

• Members

Choice D: Andy jumps in with a humourous remark to defuse the potentially explosive situation. He then sleeps with every girl in the bar because they all like a funny guy.

Choice E: I also end up sleeping with the barman as well as his mother and sister. Eventually the memories are recorded for posterity through the writing of a screenplay that is eventually made into a four hour black and white film entitled 'Les Oeufs! Les Oeufs!'.

Archived