BUYING GEAR YOU'VE NEVER TRIED....

J.Paul

• Members

I've done this will nearly all of my guitars and pedals.

Being so far away out in the middle of no where up in Alaska you really have no other options. The nearest walk in music store from me is about 500 air miles. LOL.

I scour the internet for reviews, sound/video clips, the opinions of forumites on this and other musician sites. So far I haven't really been let down because I know exactly what I'm looking for. PGS has been indispensable as far as their demo videos are concerned.

• Members

I used to buy more without hearing it, but now i'll listen to stuff on YouTube and whatnot. I can never really understand why people buy amps off EBay, because some amps of the same model year differ slightly, and you're not entirely sure of the sound....or condition.

• Members

5 of the pedals on my board are locally bought and tried. But yeah, boutique and stuff not available, I try to analyze youtube videos religiously, and find used on the bay or on here for discount or trade. Deciding on my Jazzmaster, however, was a lengthy in store process over a couple months of demoing. Def not gonna {censored} with how a guitar sounds just on internet vids.

There are two decently stocked music stores here in town, with a good selection of Boss, Line 6, Digitech, MXR, EHX, Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Vox, and rarely some more obscure used stuff. One is locally owned, and I try to support.

• Members

Hmmm... well, I think I'm on the old school end of the spectrum here. The only pedals I own that I didn't try before I bought were my cheap Rogue EQ and my Jekyll & Hyde. I am getting faster at auditioning pedals, though, as my taste in sounds are becoming more refined. I can hear what I need within a few minutes (although I'll usually spend another half hour exploring the rest of the pedal).

I must admit that I didn't try my Traynor amp before I bought it, but I did try a similar amp (just not the wine red version with the better speaker). I like to try as many things as I can before I buy.

• Members

It's always an act of faith... even if I can try something in a store (and that's rare), it has no bearing on how it will sound with my instrument, through my rig.

I just buy from places with a good no-questions-asked return policy, so if I get something I can't use, I can send it back. The time and shipping ties up the money for longer than I'd like... but I don't lose anything. I doubt I'd have a Superdelay or a Musket if I needed to play them in the store first.

• Members

I usually don't try out any pedals before I buy them. I usually order them, get them in, if I don't like it.. Then i'll sell it. I don't just buy random pedals though. I do my research on certain ones, and then purchase. You won't know how a pedal will sound on your rig until you try it on YOUR rig.

• Members

I had never tried my Ecstasy before buying it. Same goes for the Shiva that I used to have, and both of my Bad Cats. I mean, unless I want to play Marshall or Mesa, I don't have much choice but to buy gear I've never tried.

For effects, I bought my Superdelay without trying it and, well, I don't have it anymore.

• Members

i bought my boogie dc-5 off ebay. i looked around a lot online for opinions, reviews, knew i wanted a boogie 'cause of all the ones i've seen at shows, etc. i found one on ebay that had just been serviced and was still in the boogie shipping box. probably paid a little more than i should have, but it was a complete and total win.

bought my semihollow without trying it either. same deal as the amp, but there was a shop in town that had one, but not in the color and without the options i wanted. tried it out, then found a used one on the interwebz. the shop selling it was a little optomistic and enthusiastic describing it's condition, but it's a cool geetar. not sure i would do it again tho.

Archived