BUYING GEAR YOU'VE NEVER TRIED....

J.Paul

• Members

What's with these premium gear companies that do not have retail?

Are we just supposed to buy their products based on a review here (or elsewhere) w/ out trying it or w/ out any FIRSTHAND knowledge or experience?

I'm referring to Axess, Axe,......(blah blah, you get the picture)

Have you ever made this kind of purchase w/ out ever having tried one yourself?

Discuss.

• Members

I've done this with 75-90% of the gear I've had in the last year or two. I live in a town where both guitar shops carry Digitech only, one carries entry-level Fenders & Squiers w/ a decent Fender amp selection, and the other w/ some nicer Gibsons and SS Crate & Epiphone amps. That said, I've got to drive 2-3 hours just to play anything else.

So I rely a lot on YouTube, reviews, user comments, clips, etc. to get info on gear. I've bought stuff I thought would kill and it sucked. I've bought stuff I wasn't sure about and it was jaw-dropping.... it's hit and miss.

I mean, at the end of the day, only playing something through your rig will tell you if it's something you want IMO. Clips and YouTube, reviews and stuff -- all subjective, biased, tainted.... whatever. Those things are good for a general idea, but you've got to get it to know.

• Members

I don't think I tried any of the last 50 or so pedals I've bought before I bought them. I live in a town with {censored}ty music stores though. I listen to clips and read reviews and buy online. It's what I have to do.

....wait, I do remember one pedal I bought a few months ago that I was able to try out before I bought it. It was an old Shin Ei Fuzz Wah. I spent maybe an hour with it in the store before I bought it. I got it home and a week later, one of the fuzz modes started cutting out on me. So, maybe "try before you buy" isn't all it's cracked up to be. :idk:

• Members

As a rule I would never buy any guitars or amps without trying them out; or atleast trying something very similar... i.e. same guitar, different colour/pup configuration/fretboard (maybe)

Mind you, I've broken that rule twice now...my ibanez s2170 I bought blind partially because it looked cool :facepalm: and partly because I wanted a uber thin necked guitar with a floyd.

Oh, and my asat which should be in the hands of loobs soon before coming to meeeeeeee!

• Members

You start by buying used gear, because you can almost always sell for the same price you bought it for. It's like the cost of renting movies. Then once you find a type of pedal you like and know the sound you are going for, it's easier to buy stuff without hearing it in person.

• Members

You start by buying used gear, because you can almost always sell for the same price you bought it for. It's like the cost of renting movies. Then once you find a type of pedal you like and know the sound you are going for, it's easier to buy stuff without hearing it in person.

+1. Almost all the pedals in my inventory I got from trades from this and other forums. Out of all the pedals on my board, the Dice Works Muff Diver Finale is the only I bought new.

• Members

I buy everything without trying it cause when i am able to play it in a shop i dont have my guitar, my amp, my other effects with me and i am sick of music shops and their stupid seller. Okay there are some exeptions like AH or PSG but i dont even live in the USA so i have to buy stuff without trying. Works fine so far BTW... ;-)

• Members

This. I'm on the tail end of this phase :thu:.

Trading rocks too.

• Members

I played only one of the pedals on my board before buying. Unless you live in a city, you're kind of boned if you wanna try boutique stuff. ProGuitarShop is great because they have a nice return policy. Haven't had to use it though. They're reviews are great and accurate to how the pedal really sounds, and they people here are very informative.

• Members

Well;

for example, my Axess GRX4 (not available in a retail store )I bought w/out trying because it's a router and doesn't make or create sound. It does what it does.

but if I wanted to buy an Axe multi-effects/modeler (which I've heard from multiple folks is the bomb, total state of the art) I'm screwed.
This is not only expensive ($1,800 plus)
it's also not in retail (can't try it out)
makes and creates sound (which is subjective)
and I've never played through or even heard one (a year ago when I first heard of the Axe their site didn't have audio)

wtf

Archived