PS-3 vs. PS-5

• Members

No intelligent harmony pitch shifter on the PS-3.

No flutter mode on the PS-3.

Tracking is better on the PS-5

I don't believe you can dual pitch shift on the PS-5.

PS-3 has delays, including reverse.

PS-3 has this weird reverb.

PS-3 can do a sort of flangish sound.

• Members

No intelligent harmony pitch shifter on the PS-3.

No flutter mode on the PS-3.

Tracking is better on the PS-5

I don't believe you can dual pitch shift on the PS-5.

PS-3 has delays, including reverse.

PS-3 has this weird reverb.

PS-3 can do a sort of flangish sound.

Thanks that's a pretty good description. I picked up a PS-5 today but I was looking at the controls and the controls for the PS-3 and they're completely different. I'm going PS-5 > RV-3 so I don't really need the delay options. Better tracking is cool to know although I wouldn't really be able to compare it to the PS-3.

• Members

Thanks that's a pretty good description. I picked up a PS-5 today but I was looking at the controls and the controls for the PS-3 and they're completely different. I'm going PS-5 > RV-3 so I don't really need the delay options. Better tracking is cool to know although I wouldn't really be able to compare it to the PS-3.

Ya, the main appeal of the PS-5 IMO is the intelligent pitch shifting and the ability to set the key. As time goes by the tracking got better.

The flutter mode (think its called trem arm, i dont know) cool but I wouldn't use it.

• Members

I'm GASing for a PS-3 even though I have to particular use for it in my mind. It's just talked of so highly hear that I feel I need to have one. I guess it would be good to have another delay around and something that can mess with the octaves and such.

• Members

The main thing I use the PS-5 for is the Whammy (T-arm) mode, which the PS-3 doesn't have. The tracking is fantastic. I believe the instruction manual says it is meant to track single notes, but it can actually track an entire chord if you leave the interval low (like a full note up or down, rather than an entire octave). When you try to do an octave, it starts going haywire though :D.

Beware of the bypass on T-arm or Flutter mode though. Or in fact, it's more accurate to say that there is no such thing as bypass in those modes, as the effect is always in ready-mode waiting for you to do whammy effects, and maintains a digitized signal of your non-whammy'd note (boy that was hard to explain). So if you want the normal Boss bypass, you have to turn it to a different mode.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

This is the first pedal I think I ever bought. I think they were going for 105 or something back in 93. It's funny to check it out all this time later and find it's achieved some kind of cult status. I hate that stupid mode 7 even though I played around with it a lot. I mostly bought this because I wanted to emulate a buzz box and didn't realize I only needed an octave? I can't remember. I mostly used this on my voice into my 4 track.

It eventually broke so I think I threw it away.

Anyways what's a good pitch shifter nowadays? Whammy or ps5?

• Members

I'm GASing for a PS-3 even though I have to particular use for it in my mind. It's just talked of so highly hear that I feel I need to have one.
I guess it would be good to have another delay around and something that can mess with the octaves and such.

This is the definition of HCFX.

• Members

PS-3 is better.

Mode 7 is a piece of {censored}, hardly makes the pedal. It's stoopid every has gaga hears for mode 7.

Delay is great, a lot of delay time. Chorus is eric and awesome. With the repeats turned down in modes 5 and 6 you can do cool harmonies.

Ok I take it back, Mode 7 isn't a piece of {censored} but it's definitely not what makes the PS-3 a vary versatile pedal.

Archived