Hey Star Trek Fans

Naterel

• Members

Is the movie kinda funny?

Because they casted that british dude from Shawn of the dead and one of the Asain dudes from Harold and Kumar. Just seemed a little odd.

Right, because they've never tried humor before in the series. Other than most of Star Trek IV (and unintentionally all of V).

And comedic actors never do action or drama. Except for Tom Hanks, Denis Leary, Hugh Laurie, the other guy from Harold and Kumar, and oh nevermind.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Wait, you mean that both of the protagonists undergo a
hero's journey?!
Man, I hate it how every story has the same basic plot devices.
;)

John Cho plays Sulu totally straight, no comedy there, and he does a great job too. Simon Pegg plays young Scottie pretty well; he's definitely comic relief and in a scene or two it's a little heavy-handed but it never disrupts the flow of the movie. Overall it is extremely well-paced and succeeds where most Star Trek movies fail - it is
cinematic
, larger-than-life, where most Star Trek movies come off more like a long episode with better production values than a truly cinematic experience.

To me, it's an extremely exciting film. I am overjoyed that my generation is going to get its own Star Trek, get a chance to meet these characters totally anew (huge financial success so far and everyone involved has already signed on for a sequel that I'm already anticipating like mad)... The new movie doesn't kill the 43-year history of the franchise. That is the star trek corpus vitae, still intact for all of the old-school fans. It's sad that some old fans are taking the alternate-reality aspect so poorly, as Gene Roddenberry used the device all the time himself, and what Star Trek needed right now if it was going to have any life left at all was precisely this - a chance to start over. It's not like they gathered up all the existing material and burned it, this is just a Star Trek for a new generation of fans. And fans aplenty there are, its box office success has been amazing. America wasn't tired of Star Trek, just tired of what Star Trek had become.
I raise a toast to new beginnings
, and my wife and I will be seeing it again this week.

Edit: I wouldn't call myself a Trekker, but I do have all of the movies and my wife and I watch them yearly; I was born too late to see the original series as it aired, but I've watched it on DVD, and I did follow all of the versions from The Next Generation up to Voyager. The Next Generation and Deep Space 9 are my favorites. Voyager was... alright... and everything since has been mediocre. My favorite movie is Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, and the new Star Trek ranks right up there with it.

Here Here, I raise my glass with you! Good points Agreed! I loved this film. I wished my wife would get into this kind of movie experience. I liked all the spin offs. TNG version was great. Patrick Stewart is a great actor.

I thought the actors in this new film did a great job. I love the actor who plays Skylar from Heros in the Spock roll. It looks like the new Spock will have a few twists as they take this franchise forward. The cameo was an unexpected surprise. I wont spoil that for those of you who haven't seen it yet.

• Members

The Hero with a Thousand Faces. Look it up. Enjoy.

Tons of stories adhere to its basic structure- Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Odyssey, The Lion King, Aladdin (Disney), the King Arthur mythology, Jaws, Mary Tyler Moore, Witness, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, E.T., The Matrix, and yes, the new (fantastic) Star Wars movie.

• Members
The Hero with a Thousand Faces. Look it up. Enjoy.

Tons of stories adhere to its basic structure-
Star Wars
, Lord of the Rings, the Odyssey, The Lion King, Aladdin (Disney), the King Arthur mythology, Jaws, Mary Tyler Moore, Witness, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, E.T., The Matrix, and yes,
the new (fantastic) Star Wars movie

lol_wut.jpg

• Members
IT'S A SAB-A-TAAGE!!!

This was my biggest problem with an otherwise excellent movie. Are we really expected to believe that troubled 23rd century pre-pubescent hellraisers listen to 20th century hip-hop/rock crossover? To "young Kirk", that song is 300 years old :facepalm:

• Members

If it follows a similar plot with video evidence, then I'd have to say yes

So basically to understand 'a hero's journey' you need an overly obsessed community the size of Star War's that is as butt hurt as they are that the new Star Wars films blew and Star Trek was great; to make a video for you pointing out the obvious that can be done for thousands of movies/books/game/any damn thing with a story in it?

You should really take story analysis from actually WRITERS that write actually well thought out and researched concepts that the obvious that a bunch of people dressed up like Jedi bring up.

• Members
This was my biggest problem with an otherwise excellent movie. Are we really expected to believe that troubled 23rd century pre-pubescent hellraisers listen to 20th century hip-hop/rock crossover? To "young Kirk", that song is 300 years old
:facepalm:

Beethoven's music is over 250 years old, what's your point???

• Members

Beethoven's music is over 250 years old, what's your point???

My point is this, (and maybe with your wide experience of law enforcement you're perfectly placed to tell me): how many ten-year-old joyriders are listening to Beethoven? My guess is very few. Is it not equally unlikely that 23rd century joyriders will be listening to music 250-300 years old?

Or to put it another way, is it more likely that 23rd century joyriders will listen to music that's 300 years old than it is that 21st century film directors will resort to soundtracking a scene with rock music less than 20 years old to increase tension or create an atmosphere? Because if the latter is more likely (and I think it is), it represents lazy filmmaking, IMO, which I wouldn't have been so bothered about had the rest of the film not been pretty good.

• Members

it doesn't represent lazy filmmaking as much as it represents catering/submitting to teen taste in music to sell the movie (at the expense of artistic vision). this is nothing new for hollywood.

• Members
My point is this, (and maybe with your wide experience of law enforcement you're perfectly placed to tell me): how many ten-year-old joyriders are listening to Beethoven? My guess is very few. Is it not equally unlikely that 23rd century joyriders will be listening to music 250-300 years old?

Or to put it another way, is it more likely that 23rd century joyriders will listen to music that's 300 years old than it is that 21st century film directors will resort to soundtracking a scene with rock music less than 20 years old to increase tension or create an atmosphere? Because if the latter is more likely (and I think it is), it represents lazy filmmaking, IMO, which I wouldn't have been so bothered about had the rest of the film not been pretty good.

Well for a start it's not Beethoven. It's the Beastie Boys. You could Joy-ride to Beethoven's 9th though. Anyway, apparently it was put in purely as a reference to William Shatner's mispronunciation of 'Sabotage'. :idk: A bit of a stretch, but possibly true.

• Members

Or maybe, just MAYBE, since he was riding in a car from the 1960's, the owner of the car (apparently his step-dad) had some classic rock in the cd player/cassette deck/8 track. (I don't remember seeing him turn on the radio)

Or maybe it's just a {censored}ing movie with music that the audience has heard instead of inventing something completely off the wall which noone who lives today would have any idea what it is or how music sounds 300 years from now.

Way to over analyze.

• Members
Or maybe it's just a {censored}ing movie with music that the audience has heard instead of inventing something completely off the wall which noone who lives today would have any idea what it is or how music sounds 300 years from now.

Way to over analyze.

True. Plus at least it wasn't Greenday or Fallout Boy etc. :poke:

• Members
Well for a start it's not Beethoven. It's the Beastie Boys. You
could
Joy-ride to Beethoven's 9th though. Anyway, apparently it was put in purely as a reference to William Shatner's mispronunciation of 'Sabotage'.
:idk:
A bit of a stretch, but possibly true.

I have slightly more sympathy if it was just an in-joke too far, but that's pretty tenuous. Surely they could have come up with a better Shatner joke. Pulled over by officer Hooker? :badump:

• Members

So basically to understand 'a hero's journey' you need an overly obsessed community the size of Star War's that is as butt hurt as they are that the new Star Wars films blew and Star Trek was great; to make a video for you pointing out the obvious that can be done for thousands of movies/books/game/any damn thing with a story in it?

You should really take story analysis from actually WRITERS that write actually well thought out and researched concepts that the obvious that a bunch of people dressed up like Jedi bring up.

does this make sense to anyone? I seriously have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I think I agree with you though... :idk:

• Members
Or maybe, just MAYBE, since he was riding in a car from the 1960's, the owner of the car (apparently his step-dad) had some classic rock in the cd player/cassette deck/8 track. (I don't remember seeing him turn on the radio)

Way to over analyze.

Who's over-analysing, the person who comments on the immediately obvious anachronism between the music and the action, or the one who comes up with "in-universe" theories to explain it? :idk:

And since when was "Sabotage" classic rock? :confused:

Archived